Premium Supporter
Feb 16, 2016
GER
Release date: September 6, 2018
Purchase link: Amazon DE
Price: €14.99

91O0+FygcAL._SX385_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummmmm didn't even realise Noel Edmonds had been in The Thing?

:LOL::rofl: I can’t unsee that now

But seriously I still like the art. Have no issue with a artistic take considering its had a few steels and special editions now. Can’t work out why anyone would be mad with the art due to so much choice but I get the “another” debate.

If your a big fan of the film like me .... possibly the best film ever made then you’ll welcome this as cool and different (and no where near some of the diabolical pop art steels our eyes have had to witness)

giphy.gif

the Arrow steelbook is the best, but still far from beeing perfect

Mondo for me. Even more so when it’s signed by the director ;)

If your a big fan of the film like me .... possibly the best film ever made then you’ll welcome this as cool and different (and no where near some of the diabolical pop art steels our eyes have had to witness)

The Thing is my favourite movie of all but this artwork is really no good in my eyes - as others have said, the Arrow steelbook is the best available so far in my opinion, I do look forward to the eventual FAC edition if it ever happens though

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
:LOL::rofl: I can’t unsee that now

But seriously I still like the art. Have no issue with a artistic take considering its had a few steels and special editions now. Can’t work out why anyone would be mad with the art due to so much choice but I get the “another” debate.

Mondo for me. Even more so when it’s signed by the director ;)
Mate I’m with you, one of the best films ever made, but I can’t agree on that artwork. Glad you like it though, you can have my copy!

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
The Thing is my favourite movie of all but this artwork is really no good in my eyes - as others have said, the Arrow steelbook is the best available so far in my opinion, I do look forward to the eventual FAC edition if it ever happens though
Mate I’m with you, one of the best films ever made, but I can’t agree on that artwork. Glad you like it though, you can have my copy!

:LOL: Fair dos

I do like the arrow steel a lot but prefer the mondo a tad more. Love that special editon that came out last year too.

• Thanks
Reactions: Steelselecta
I'd say that's pretty bad (and that's something I don't say very often) … luckily not coming to my territory.
Design influence ? … who knows ... but possibly Tim Clanard's poster (himself better known for his ALIEN / ALIENS posters):-
upload_2018-6-26_17-2-45.png
upload_2018-6-26_16-58-57.png

Now that we've already had the classic Struzan poster steelbook I wouldn't have minded something equally simple and effective like this …
upload_2018-6-26_16-39-57.png
upload_2018-6-26_16-42-4.png

… and, besides, surely they could've sought permission for three of the better images for the steelbook from this 2017 anniversary book:
"Celebrating the 35th anniversary of John Carpenter's sci-fi/horror classic film "The Thing", this 400-page first volume hardcover of Printed In Blood's ARTBOOK series features over 375 brand-new pieces of artwork created specifically for this collection. Bringing together artists from the worlds of comics, fine art, animation and illustration. Over 350 artists from all over the world have contributed art for this comprehensive collection. Also included in the book, an all-new introduction by horror director/actor/producer Eli Roth and an afterword by the Master of Horror himself, John Carpenter."

Regular hardback edition … unboxing ………………………………………………………………………………..……. de luxe edition w/ slipcase + artcard set:-
upload_2018-6-26_17-19-3.png
upload_2018-6-26_17-27-35.png

Still waiting for this:-
upload_2018-6-26_16-54-53.png

• Thanks
Reactions: jonnybobbytimmy
Release date: September 6, 2018
Purchase link: Amazon DE
Price: TBA

View attachment 380396

i think the thing (ha!) i dislike the most is the framing of MacReady in a Chuck Norris pose surrounded by tentacles. :meh: and the fact that he appears to be best mates with the tentaces. :facepalm: and the fact that i know the top is supposed to be a parker hood, but it doesn't look like one. :confused: and the reverse spine. :grumpy:
giphy.gif

i mean, is it that much cheaper to get someone to mock this up in a lunch break than it is to use classic posters, etc?

Reactions: Real Steel
The strengths of this cult classic are its dark atmosphere and pervasive paranoia. I don't think any artwork so far successfully conveys these strengths. The physical form that The Thing takes only serves the film's paranoia. It should not be itself the subject of attention, as this is not a scary monster horror movie. To me, any artwork that features any physical form of The Thing cheapens the movie.

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
When this movie came to the cinemas in 1982, I remember seeing its poster ad in the newspaper movie page with a tag line that was sort of like this:

First they were 12
Then they become 11
And then 10

I can't remember the exact words and the rest of it but it basically impressed on you that something very darkly mysterious is taking the team out one by one. It left me a very strong impression as it made me immediately want to watch the movie. I've been googling for this line and the original poster ad but couldn't find any trace. Does anyone remember anything like that?