The Thing (1982) (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Arrow Video) [UK]

Feb 17, 2011
Release date: October 23, 2017
Purchase link: Amazon - Zavvi - HMV - Arrow Films (Sold Out)
Price: £17.99 (Arrow) - £24.99 (Amazon) - £19.99 (Zavvi - Hmv)

91fkjH5rswL._SY445_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 cents for what's it's worth...

People here who are saying they like variety, I couldnt agree more.

BUT... it is much more one sided recently in terms of quality of steels recently and that favours flat & matte. Which everyone has a right to say that it's getting annoying and cheap. And I agree.

Glossing and bossing in my opinion is far better, but I do concede that flat or matte ( or both together ) can look okay- dependent on the artwork though.

But here's the thing, flat & matte it's Waaaaay over used on steels with great artwork and that cries for a bit if glossing & bossing of sorts.

The whole thing that got me into steelbook collecting was the great products that they were when they were relatively new, Iron Man, Thor, CA, Zavvi Disney range blah blah blah.

You all know the golden age I'm talking about.

Forgetting the premium guys, the lack of steels with attractive finishes are getting rare as rocking horse s**t. The odd one has come out like Daredevil and a couple of others, but it's not what it used to be.

Although the premium guys do some excellent steels, even the much worshipped Blufans are guilty ( ducking from the gunfire). By this I mean the lack of bossing on their steels of late, titles only. Winds me up a bit, knowing they can produce quality.

After years of FA pumping out generic WWAs, I'm glad to see their recent WEA efforts are top notch - Spiderman for example.

Sadly though, whilst so many new collectors are coming in, the quality and frequency of steels are getting dire, and for that I think we all lose.

My 2 cents for what's it's worth...

People here who are saying they like variety, I couldnt agree more.

BUT... it is much more one sided recently in terms of quality of steels recently and that favours flat & matte. Which everyone has a right to say that it's getting annoying and cheap. And I agree.

Glossing and bossing in my opinion is far better, but I do concede that flat or matte ( or both together ) can look okay- dependent on the artwork though.

But here's the thing, flat & matte it's Waaaaay over used on steels with great artwork and that cries for a bit if glossing & bossing of sorts.

The whole thing that got me into steelbook collecting was the great products that they were when they were relatively new, Iron Man, Thor, CA, Zavvi Disney range blah blah blah.

You all know the golden age I'm talking about.

Forgetting the premium guys, the lack of steels with attractive finishes are getting rare as rocking horse s**t. The odd one has come out like Daredevil and a couple of others, but it's not what it used to be.

Although the premium guys do some excellent steels, even the much worshipped Blufans are guilty ( ducking from the gunfire). By this I mean the lack of bossing on their steels of late, titles only. Winds me up a bit, knowing they can produce quality.

After years of FA pumping out generic WWAs, I'm glad to see their recent WEA efforts are top notch - Spiderman for example.

Sadly though, whilst so many new collectors are coming in, the quality and frequency of steels are getting dire, and for that I think we all lose.

I agree, and what's most shocking is that some of the nicest steel finishes and artworks have come from smaller independents without the big bucks the major studios have, three of my favourites this year have been Flight of the navigator, Short Circuit and Inner Space.

When they can put out high quality releases like that on low print runs for £15, and bearing in mind the licensing fee they need to pay to the studio, it just demonstrates that the big studios who own their own pictures are just pumping crap steels out at minimum design, effort, finish and cost and marking them up to £25-30 to maximise profit.

I've actually started buying more amarays lately simply because the art is usually better, studios are using the best art for the overarching retail amaray releases since they sell more, and then using awful pop art/Warhol style illustrations on what 'should' be the deluxe premium steel edition.

Not today satan.

I'd rather save myself a tenner and get the amaray with better art than have a Steelbook 'just because it's metal', those days are over because the studios greed and lack of creative design is killing off the hobby.

Admittedly I do prefer a gloss finish, but like others have said, it does depend on the film. For this release with the colours of the artwork I think gloss would be a better finish, but I loved the satin finish on Inner Space for example. Dissapointing for such an iconic film.

Last edited:
My Arrow Films orders just updated in my account
Both my steelbook and limited edition orders was dispatched on 17th October

I expect I will have delivery on Monday or Tuesday as usually royal mail airmail UK to Rep of Ireland takes on average 4-6 days

Which edition do you prefer?

Could you make an 'ultimate edition' by putting the steelbook inside the slip with the goodies.....

I haven't opened the slip version yet but it weighs a decent 300g so you do feel a solid weight for an aamray. The slip is obviously not going to be a premium edition for what we pay but its a hard solid slip. Putting the steelbook inside will be a good idea if you want the best of both worlds!

I do admit I find the steelbook slighly underwhelming although this is a typical usual Arrows release. No embossing or spot gloss etc but that's how Arrows do their line ups. I guess I feel a little underwhelmed because of the massive hype and huge cult fanbase I would had thought maybe Arrows spent a little more time on the overall treatment but appears this release will follow with the same theme as all the others - same data sheet, booket inside, and similar overall finish. Having said that I much prefer this than the original Play.com release with Two-Face on there! That was a nasty artwork :LOL:

Is there a booklet in the Steelbook then? Can't be the same as the limited as it's bigger than the steelbook.

The main menu for the Blu Ray isn’t the same as a Univeral Pictures release. Don’t Arrows need to display the distributor on the main menu as they own the rights? This isn’t on the Data sheet either - Edit** On the Data Sheet after checking again, but doesn't say distributed by Universal but A Turman-Foster Company Production**

The main menu for the Blu Ray isn’t the same as a Univeral Pictures release. Don’t Arrows need to display the distributor on the main menu as they own the rights?

Arrow don't need to show the Universal menu, no. It's licensed to Arrow so and as they are distributing it, the menus etc can be branded to Arrow. Same with all of their releases.

Nice pics! They look really good together! Nice that there is a booklet in the steelie after all, maybe Arrow saw the comments..........good call! I think i prefer the slipcase limited to the steelbook though, because of the more robust package - but i do like the steelbook, i think it looks good. I like that the two have different artwork to each other, as well. Just waiting for mine, now.

I received a mail from Zavvi yesterday... They has cancelled my order because they didn't hace stock. I am so angry because I cancelled the Amazon order to buy It from Zavvi and now... Nothing.

If somebody manage to get an extra one, I wonder if you can contact me...

Thank you.

• Thanks
Reactions: hatredhorror
I received a mail from Zavvi yesterday... They has cancelled my order because they didn't hace stock. I am so angry because I cancelled the Amazon order to buy It from Zavvi and now... Nothing.

If somebody manage to get an extra one, I wonder if you can contact me...

Thank you.
If you are based in the UK
HMV UK still have some stock available of the steelbook
https://store.hmv.com/film-tv/blu-ray/the-thing-(3)

I would advise keep looking on amazon UK over the weekend and on Mon/Tue as I'm sure there will be some cancellation stock listed