The Voices (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) (Arrow Films) [UK]

Apr 1, 2013
London
Release: 13 July, 2015 (Live Thurs May 21 mid-day)
Purchase link:
Zavvi,
Amazon.
Price: £17.99

steel.jpg

Confirmed earlier today via Arrow's twitter feed:

Watch out for a strictly limited edition #TheVoices Fridge #Steelbook coming to the UK on July 13

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilms/status/592978657943101440

Maybe something like this?

the-voices-poster03.jpg

My favourite film of last year - I am so in for this one!

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 351
Last edited by a moderator:
Best comments I could find are more to do with Reynolds' performance than the film itself.
As an example - "Reynolds has never been more charming or spine-chilling - often simultaneously - in what is a genuinely multi-faceted tragicomic performance" from Stella Papamichael on Digital Spy.
Mind you, just seen a short clip and looks like fun.

Sometimes critics get it right but there are quite a few cases when a movie is panned and the audience reception differs greatly. I look to IMDb and RT to help give me a general idea of what to expect and whether to wait for a price revision. Chappie for example wasn't widely acclaimed but I thought critics were too harsh on it. The choice is yours @virkia. ;)

Put it this way... I usually can't stand Reynolds, but I actually really enjoyed this film.

Sometimes critics get it right but there are quite a few cases when a movie is panned and the audience reception differs greatly. I look to IMDb and RT to help give me a general idea of what to expect and whether to wait for a price revision. Chappie for example wasn't widely acclaimed but I thought critics were too harsh on it. The choice is yours @virkia. ;)
Chappie stank lol, and if you rely on RT then the Twilight series and The Transformers are amazing films haha. I don't care what anyone thinks about a film I want to see. I'd of missed many films I adore if I'd listened to public opinion. This film having seen it now is so so. I can understand its limited cinema release, trying to make it look arty and edgy, it isn't either of those things. It's not a bad film, it's certainly worth a watch.

Snap. I never don't watch or buy films just because of what critics write. I am my own critic and I feel I owe it to myself to watch just about any film as films like most other things are subjective and a matter of personal taste.

Snap. I never don't watch or buy films just because of what critics write. I am my own critic and I feel I owe it to myself to watch just about any film as films like most other things are subjective and a matter of personal taste.

Yeah, but if I just bought everything on a whim I'd be out of dough. It's not often I watch a movie with a questionable score i.e. Taken 2 and think it's any better than said rating. @psychoscot Chappie has its fans (the IMDb board), they're just few and far between. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: psychoscot
Yeah, but if I just bought everything on a whim I'd be out of dough. It's not often I watch a movie with a questionable score i.e. Taken 2 and think it's any better than said rating. @psychoscot Chappie has its fans (the IMDb board), they're just few and far between. :p

I have no time for IMDB or RT scores, utterly worthless and completely pointless as far as I'm concerned, IMDB scores can often be increased by fanboys even when the film stinks and RT is made up of around 60% blogger reviews and I have no interest in a bloggers opinion on anything let a lone films. I often disagree with critics reviews of anything be it movies or music. I will watch a film based on subject/Director/actors involved/genre regardless of what anyone else thinks of it. I usually go 2 to 3 times a week to the cinema so already know before purchasing many on a home format whether it's worth getting. For films that bypass the cinema or that I miss "not often" then I will blind buy them based on the above criteria.:)

That may be the case but even if you don't like the film yourself another member of your family might . . .
The money is not 'lost' even if nobody in your family likes the film as it can always be sold on the auction site or elsewhere and most of your money retrieved particularly if in a steelbook and if you didn't just jump on it at the pre-order price.

Last edited:
That exclusive deal didn't last long lol. Always was a strange release, Arrow were going to sell it direct and only 500 copies, then Zavvi bought rights and made 2000 copies, now they've shared with Amazon one week after release

Peter Bradshaw in The Guardian, who is about as good a critic as you can get, said, quote: 'It is an overwhelmingly dislikable film, an intensely unscary and unfunny horror-comedy about a serial killer played by Ryan Reynolds on his most irritating form . . . .The film efficiently succeeds in being nasty in a boring and depressing way.'
Apparently Mr Bradshaw is an obnoxious and abusive reviewer. In fact that review makes it sound as if Ryan bumped into Peter once and he has been contemplating his demise ever since.

Just to give an impression of this reviewer:

Terminator Genisys - 1 star (It really wasn't that bad)
John Wick - 2 stars (Nothing wrong with this film, I thought)
Get Hard - 3 stars (WHAT)
Jupiter Ascending - 3 stars (Oh, come on...)
Kingsman - 2 stars (That's it, I'm convinced. This guy has brain damage)

That exclusive deal didn't last long lol. Always was a strange release, Arrow were going to sell it direct and only 500 copies, then Zavvi bought rights and made 2000 copies, now they've shared with Amazon one week after release
maybe it was all a marketing ploy. maybe they always intended it to be sold across all outlets, but drip fed it to maximize panic ordering.

its this type of BS that makes me glad i held off buying. if i would have bought upfront at arrow, i would feel very mislead right now.

Reactions: Norwichlad