The Walking Dead Action Figures - Insider Chat

Antman

Steelbook Avenger
Premium Supporter
Feb 26, 2011
Lincolnshire, UK
This thread is dedicated to talking about the McFarlane "The Walking Dead" figures (and statues). There's someone very well connected in this thread. ;)

Purchase here

Intro.jpg

This Fall The Walking Dead comes to the toy store with McFarlane Toys action figures of Rick Grimes, Daryl Dixon, Zombie Biter and Zombie Walker. Available for purchase November 2011.

http://blogs.amctv.com/photo-galleries/the-walking-dead-mcfarlane-action-figures/intro.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Lost for words on the latest WD 'twist', very sad that the show has, in my opinion, now reached rock bottom. Not sure I will continue to watch it anymore but just wondering if a final 5" action figure of Carl might materialise from Season 8, possibly from 'How it's gotta be' mid season finale. I am however looking forward to getting the 'allies' three pack to get Jesus!

Completely agree, I think we are going to finish the season up and then drop the show. The comic and show have hit the wall simultaneously for me. I've already stopped buying the comic. With that said I'll still pick up any single new character 5" figures that happen.

That's a shame though not surprising as the show really has hit rock bottom now, any future plans for comic figures? You guys should do like Hasbro with Jabba's Sail Barge and do a crowd funded comic RV with Dale, or the whole early gang, Lori, little Carl, Dale, Glenn, I'd still buy anything from the comic line.

Well, thats it for me. I will no longer support anything by McF. McF actually was an awesome company with awesome action figures back in the old days. I used to collect SPAWN until the format was switched from poseable figures to statues. I used to collect Movie Maniacs until it was canceled due bad sale because of bad choice of characters. Dragons were awesome ... canceled
Lost ... canceled with not even half of the main chars out
Horror stuff... havent seen anything since a decade
TWD... "lets freak out the collectors by changes the size", great choice
Stranger Thing... great show, but I dont give in to pick them up as they 100% will cancel/change them halfway through the characters
Five Nights & and Rick n Morty ??... crap
Borderlands, CoD, Halo ??? ... are people even playing this
All left ... Sports Figures... duh !
Lack of information...

Sorry, I am out of anything McF puts out

It does feel like the writing is on the wall. I don't blame Mcfarlane at all. We got a crap ton of really cool product from the Walking Dead. More than we would have got from anyone else at this level of quality. I have no doubt of that. Its been one of my favorite collectors lines for years.
The shows creators have dropped the ball badly as of late & frankly the comic has too. Kirkman has spent way too much time listening to his writing room. Frankly things are so bad on the TV and comic fronts I'm kind of angry about it.

Hey Spawnshop, thanks for fighting the good fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: spawnshop
It does feel like the writing is on the wall. I don't blame Mcfarlane at all. We got a crap ton of really cool product from the Walking Dead. More than we would have got from anyone else at this level of quality. I have no doubt of that. Its been one of my favorite collectors lines for years.
The shows creators have dropped the ball badly as of late & frankly the comic has too. Kirkman has spent way too much time listening to his writing room. Frankly things are so bad on the TV and comic fronts I'm kind of angry about it.

Hey Spawnshop, thanks for fighting the good fight.

Thanks for your positive thoughts and feedback. As of now, we are not cancelling Walking Dead. It's still a strong license for us. (and personally, i think the show if finally picking up and getting better.)

Things are changing at the retailers, so you never know what to expect (IE, target having a collectible area in addition to toy isles, also putting game figures with the games, not in Toy Isles.) The retailers are starting to realize that these collectible figures are for collectors, not kids. They are still trying to iron out a good way to handle that.
TRU closing doesn't help any of the figure companies either.....but i think that someone else will either pick up the slack or up their capacity.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dyson
Well, thats it for me. I will no longer support anything by McF. McF actually was an awesome company with awesome action figures back in the old days. I used to collect SPAWN until the format was switched from poseable figures to statues. I used to collect Movie Maniacs until it was canceled due bad sale because of bad choice of characters. Dragons were awesome ... canceled
Lost ... canceled with not even half of the main chars out
Horror stuff... havent seen anything since a decade
TWD... "lets freak out the collectors by changes the size", great choice
Stranger Thing... great show, but I dont give in to pick them up as they 100% will cancel/change them halfway through the characters
Five Nights & and Rick n Morty ??... crap
Borderlands, CoD, Halo ??? ... are people even playing this
All left ... Sports Figures... duh !
Lack of information...

Sorry, I am out of anything McF puts out

I'm sorry you feel this way. But i understand your frustration.

Here's my 2 cents on the product (not endorsed from McF company ;) ):
LOST was great - but i think that the price point was too high for the time. They should've been $15 figures, not $20.
Dragons were great too, but I think the retailers got a stale feeling on them after 8 or 9 series.
SPAWN is not gone.....
Horror.....you never know.
Stranger Things is big for us now.
Walking Dead was changed to 7" at the request of the retailers (to match the other figures on the market)
Personally, i think the Rick N Morty is great. Love the show.
FNAF is a strong seller for us, as is Borderlands.
We no longer make Halo figures - Mattell does that now :/
Sports - you have to be a fan.

@spawnshop

I have no doubt retailers wanted twd to go up in scale to 7in to match other lines, but I still believe both lines could exist simultaneously, just like the star wars 3.75 and 6 inch lines. I like the idea of the Allies 3 pack later this year, and I love the "saga" exclusives we've gotten from mcfarlane. Why not release a few 5in figures per year in sets. Examples: Lori and Shane. Tara and Rosita. Simon and Dwight. Ezekial and Shiva etc. I know the Allies 3 pack is probably the last 5in release...and it's truly truly DEPRESSING. Just do us a favor and remind some folks...there are many fans still willing to invest in those 5inch beauties.

Last edited:
@spawnshop

I have no doubt retailers wanted twd to go up in scale to 7in to match other lines, but I still believe both lines could exist simultaneously, just like the star wars 3.75 and 6 inch lines. I like the idea of the Allies 3 pack later this year, and I love the "saga" exclusives we've gotten from mcfarlane. Why not release a few 5in figures per year in sets. Examples: Lori and Shane. Tara and Rosita. Simon and Dwight. Ezekial and Shiva etc. I know the Allies 3 pack is probably the last 5in release...and it's truly truly DEPRESSING. Just do us a favor and remind some folks...there are many fans still willing to invest in those 5inch beauties.

I think it's a good idea, as long as there is a retailer that wants to take it.
If you really want to see it, please tell us on our Facebook page. Our social media team is definitely listening ;)

TRU closing doesn't help any of the figure companies either.....but i think that someone else will either pick up the slack or up their capacity.

I think walmart, target and best buy will. Target and Best Buy already want to kill their CD section.... could see them doing Toys cause with Toys you can have low cost exclusives which are then ways to get foot traffic and or loss leaders at times for bigger sales. A lot like the steelbook strategy of the $10 steels. low profit margin but overall gross sale transaction is well.

I think it's a good idea, as long as there is a retailer that wants to take it.
If you really want to see it, please tell us on our Facebook page. Our social media team is definitely listening ;)
Hey Spawnshop, off topic, but the new 7” Rick figure (AOW version)will he have leg articulation? From the looks of him at toy fair and the new image released on McFarlane website it looks like the same pre set pose with no upper thigh articulation. Btw Maggie and Negan look awesome too, definitely picking them both up!:)

Hey Spawnshop, off topic, but the new 7” Rick figure (AOW version)will he have leg articulation? From the looks of him at toy fair and the new image released on McFarlane website it looks like the same pre set pose with no upper thigh articulation. Btw Maggie and Negan look awesome too, definitely picking them both up!:)

Rick will be fully articulated like the rest of the newer figures with the hinge style hips. This is one aspect per figure that we are really putting our 100% attention to.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Wreck
Rick will be fully articulated like the rest of the newer figures with the hinge style hips. This is one aspect per figure that we are really putting our 100% attention to.
Awesome see I actually love the 7” figures, sure they started off on a rough start, but they look sooo much better than the 5” in terms of detail and (more recently) paint apps. I still love the 5” figures, but honestly I’m just happy you guys are still making any sort of walking dead figures, if that’s 5” 7” or 10” I’m just happy it’s still being made! Anywyays love the 7” figures, and hope to see many more in the future!:)

@spawnshop having seen you in the TWD magazine scanning the face/head of actors .... it crossed my curious mind ... albeit strictly business is there any light convo had between you and the actors and if so which if any are/were your favorite ? any funny stories? or is wham,bam, thank you mam, and they outty? haha

@spawnshop having seen you in the TWD magazine scanning the face/head of actors .... it crossed my curious mind ... albeit strictly business is there any light convo had between you and the actors and if so which if any are/were your favorite ? any funny stories? or is wham,bam, thank you mam, and they outty? haha

Absolutely. I always try to make small talk when i'm scanning because it can get awkward when i'm 12" from someones face. I usually try to talk about being scanned before on other projects....Polly Anne Mcintosh told me about her work on Call of Duty, Jeffrey Dean Morgan talked about his time on Watchmen, etc. Some are in and out though....some are having bad days (can't hold that against them in the Atlanta heat)....and some are super gracious and thankful, like Norman.
Some of my favorites were Andrew Lincoln, Josh McDermitt and Michael Rooker. Super nice guys and really into it. Andrew was awesome because when in character, he's IN character. He is Rick at that moment and time. Josh is just hilarious. Rooker was just so energetic, funny, crazy. Really cool.
I really enjoyed working with Ross Marquand and Lenny James too. Super nice guys, gentlemen.
The funniest story was before season 4, when we were scanning everyone in the prison outfits. We were scanning Lauren Cohan at one point, and the scanner that we were using at the time had a headset that the talent had to wear to register into the scanner. When we were done, Lauren got up to do something without taking the headset off, and accidentally started pulling the machine of the table. One of my co-workers yelled out "Maggie, No!" to stop her. Like he couldn't remember her real name or just was so convinced in costume that it was Maggie.....it was hilarious.
I also love when the zombie actors are at lunch in make-up and have those crazy contacts in. They can't see a thing....lol. I saw a zombie look like he was feasting on a pie, like a zombie....but he just couldn't see what kind it was, so he had to get within inches of it to see.