The Wire COMPLETE SERIES HD Blu-ray!
Release Date- June 1st 2015
Link-
Amazon
Base
Zavvi

the_wire_complete_box_-_season_1-5_blu-ray_20_disc_nordic-27431518-frntl.jpg

THE Wire HD
The remastered series debuts December 26 on HBO Signature and HBO Go. The entire series will air consecutively on HBO Signature, starting at noon on December 26. With one season playing per day, the marathon will wrap up on December 30.

The HD remaster will be available to own on Blu-ray in summer 2015, but can be purchased digitally earlier on January 5 through iTunes, Google Play, Xbox Video and Vudu.

David Simon on The Wire HD
While this development may widen the audience for the TV series, creator David Simon fears that the impact of certain scenes may be lost in the move to the 16:9 format. "There are scenes that clearly improve in HD and in the widescreen format," he says in a blog post, "But there are things that are not improved. And even with our best resizing, touchups and maneuver, there are some things that are simply not as good. That’s the inevitability: This new version, after all, exists in an aspect ratio that simply wasn’t intended or serviced by the filmmakers."

David Simons Blog
http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

Last edited:
There's been a lot of discussion about the aspect ratio. It's unfortunate that we aren't getting it in its intended 4:3 ratio, as that's the way shots were framed. They weren't even protecting for 16:9.

But I'll still get it. I need to finish the series!

Good to hear!!! Always heard good things about this show!!!

Also I've always wanted to watch the The Unit but never got around to watching or buying the DVD'S. Maybe a future Blu Ray Release:D

I'm not really sure about why they have not decided to put BOTH Aspect Ratio versions on the Blu rays.
Pushing in on a square image to get a rectangular image is as egregious a distortion as pan & scan. Cutting off the tops of people's heads and magnifying the image (and grain) is not the greatest viewing experience. Example: That 4:3 push-in to 16:9 on the FX Simpsons marathon was not only unwatchable, it removed visual jokes and made the animation look more shoddy.
I think this may be a happy but also sad moment for fans- HD, but compromised HD.

Reactions: lolwut
Asking this group on twitter as they got a letter from HBO UK, i saw the letter as HBO UK Retweeted the group who got the letter! It was because The Wire HD Release i asked the group about the Bluray they replied back Bluray release in June so take it with a grain of salt