Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: November 10th, 2014
Purchase link: The Wrestler
Price: £16.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies

11029396-1413201476-495378.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Will pick this up if the price and art are good. Not seen the movie but I want to
Great movie (at least in my opinion) Not sure the artwork will match the Plain Archive steelbook, but considering I've just logged into eBay and seen the full slip version of it going for £60 it might turn out to be a good alternative (here's hoping..)

Maybe Zavvi will go for something a bit more abstract so that it compliments their release of Black Swan.

My initial reaction though is that this won't match the great PA release.

lol why dont zavvi give us something different instead of a title like this which has already been done and simply wont be topped

id only buy this if i missed out on the plain archive version

You're saying that about the retailer that has released the most first release steelbooks period. I'm not white knighting and I'm not a zavvi fanboy before someone says so.

Great film, but like many others on here, I've already got both the Canadian and PA steels... will take something amazing for this to beat either of those, and with an expected price of at least £15, I'll probably have to pass.

The Plain Archive release is decent but rather unspectacular when you take away the slipcover and extras and the Canadian release is just dull with the bilingual title letting it down too. Therefore I think there's room for another release as long as StudioCanal get the artwork and finish right.

Reactions: justhedudeman
This, Moon, The Elephant Man, Training Day & Die Hard are just 5 recent Zavvi titles (not their fault, I know...) that have underwhelmed due to their lack of colour- too much black and other dull colours going on with all these steelbooks...

They're really going OTT with releases, not every film needs a steelbook re-release! (Or re-re-re-release in 'many cases' - see what I did there :naughty::hilarious:)

Due to the volume of releases these days, I for one now only buy steelbooks for films which I believe to be 'worthy' of a steelbook. So Marvel / DC stuff, true 'classics', animated Disney I would say count (not that I buy them), but perhaps not Pixar... I don't know, just feels like they'll throw anything out there these days and most end up on the cheap anyway. They would do better on sales for these catalogue releases if they sold them all at £9.99 straight away. There's a lot to be said for a quick trun around of stock!

Am I the only one who thinks like that? Each to their own I guess... Anyway, enjoy the film! lol

They're really going OTT with releases, not every film needs a steelbook re-release! (Or re-re-re-release in 'many cases' - see what I did there :naughty::hilarious:)

Due to the volume of releases these days, I for one now only buy steelbooks for films which I believe to be 'worthy' of a steelbook. So Marvel / DC stuff, true 'classics', animated Disney I would say count (not that I buy them), but perhaps not Pixar... I don't know, just feels like they'll throw anything out there these days and most end up on the cheap anyway. They would do better on sales for these catalogue releases if they sold them all at £9.99 straight away. There's a lot to be said for a quick trun around of stock!

Am I the only one who thinks like that? Each to their own I guess... Anyway, enjoy the film! lol
I'm totally with you there- When I first started collecting steelbooks, I saw it almost as 'the holy Grail' version to own of special films.
The amount of releases almost devalues steelbooks as a collectible in my opinion.

One argument would be who are we to decide what does and doesn't constitue a steelbook release, but there are so many films that surely warrant this treatment over others (Best picture winners for example)

I do like The Wrestler though, and it does seem to be held in high acclaim. Just wish the steelbook looked nicer! (Although maybe not, as now I'm not torn between whether to buy it or not...)

Reactions: BradG1984