This is Not a Toy (HDN Exclusive Article)

tridon

Est. 2011
Dec 5, 2011
Thunder Bay
Hey, Funko fans!

The one and only @mlmaier84 just wrote an amazing piece on the history and potential future of Funko's POP! line and I think you should all give it a read and check it out. :)

THIS IS NOT A TOY

Mathew, once again, awesome job, man! :thumbs:

Attachments

• POP.jpg
    POP.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 112
@mlmaier84 About Dang Time you finished writing this! haha :thumbs:

Great read buddy. Some very solid points and I can feel your frustration.
I love Funko and I love my Pop! figures. I hope what they are doing isn't their downfall.

Reactions: mlmaier84
Good read @mlmaier84 and I agree with you, it's crazy.

I can't Believe some of the variations they do and flood the market with so many.

Luckily I'm not addicted to these (otherwise I would be f*cked) but I do own roughly 20 now. No sets are complete because I only buy the ones I really like and not bothered about sets being complete if I'm not a fan of the others or chatacters.

The last paragraph in particular reminds me of zavvi

Reactions: mlmaier84
@mlmaier84 About Dang Time you finished writing this! haha :thumbs:

Great read buddy. Some very solid points and I can feel your frustration.
I love Funko and I love my Pop! figures. I hope what they are doing isn't their downfall.

I know, right?! Only took me like 4 months to finish LOL. My personal life has finally slowed down enough for me to get in some good writing time. Next couple of pieces will be some stuff from Mondo Con and a couple movie reviews. Want to do some smaller things before I take on another big one like the Funko piece. Not sure what the next biggie will be about yet, but I've got a few ideas.

Anywho, I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I wanted to do a piece on Funko, because it's something that doesn't get a lot of press and something that I really enjoy.

Good read @mlmaier84 and I agree with you, it's crazy.

I can't Believe some of the variations they do and flood the market with so many.

Luckily I'm not addicted to these (otherwise I would be f*cked) but I do own roughly 20 now. No sets are complete because I only buy the ones I really like and not bothered about sets being complete if I'm not a fan of the others or chatacters.

The last paragraph in particular reminds me of zavvi

Coming from someone who is...well WAS addicted to these, it sucks that Funko has taken the road to riches and has totally sold out. As a fan and collector, their decisions in the past year have basically forced me to stop caring altogether about collecting. Now, like you, I only buy the ones I can't live without (which is exponentially less than I used to). They're only hurting themselves by alienating us collectors. It WILL come back to bite them in the @$$ if it hasn't started to already.

It's funny you mention the part about Zavvi. I have this little saying I've come up with that goes, "Funko is the Zavvi of Funko."

Reactions: Flloydo
Well put. I would've also mentioned excessive variants, such as all the Dancing Groots:
image.jpeg

I understand Glow in the dark variants as those are significantly different, but when it's just a minor paint job (or addition of a bow) it gets to feel more like a money grab than something truly exclusive and worth spending money on.

Reactions: Flloydo