Release date: February 26, 2018
Purchase links: 4K - 3D
Price: £32.99 (4K) - £24.99 (3D)

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
If people stopped paying it, then Zavvi might stop charging it.

For another €20 you'd get the Blufans edition delivered.....

Yeah well, most of the time Zavvi and the distributors get it right and for a 4K disc I'm willing to fork out a little bit more money... just a shame when its a letdown like this one

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
It's good that steelbook is gloss finish
Hopefully I will have delivery on Monday or Tuesday

It is pity though there is no embossing or debossing like the USA release

Quite disappointing UK is not getting the debossing. At least is glossed I guess.

So guess the USA steelbook might be the one to own until blufans comes around.

The Zavvi steelbook wil have a full matte finish and no debossed title. So the Best Buy one is the version to own :thumbs:

Just got mine, no bossing at all, but glossy finish. :thumbs:
esterday, 23

mine arrived yesterday, 3D version and can also confirm its full gloss with title on the front and the spine.

shame its on the front, prefer clean fronts (title on spine is enough IMO) but its definitely a nicer finish than the WWA for Dark World

• Thanks
Reactions: Melv500
@virkia from the second picture it looks like full gloss.

the right hand / second pic - of the U.S. steelbook - is more glossy and definitely looks Full Gloss / "Glossy"
ROW - U.K. etc. - does not look Full Gloss / "Glossy" . . . but looks like "Gloss Varnish"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe not a bad idea to have a quick recap of the usual finishes:

- MATTE: No sheen, Best finish for maximum fine detailed artwork. Streaks can be a problem

- ZERO: Sheen midway between Matte and Glossy. Vast majority of WWA steelbooks supplied with this finish

- SATIN: Sheen similar to Zero but more opaque. Smoother to the touch

- GLOSS VARNISH: More of a sheen than Zero but not as much as Glossy.
GV allows for metallic reflections to shine through unlike Glossy . . . seen here on the red mist when you tilt the steelbook - and on other Gloss Varnish steelbooks where the look of the artwork changes when the steelbook position is altered.

- GLOSSY: Full gloss. No metallic reflections

Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me the difference between the U.S. and the U.K. steelbooks is obvious . . . with the colours on the U.S. steelbook more vibrant etc..

Examples of the difference between the finishes:-
MATTE
upload_2018-2-25_2-29-19.png
upload_2018-2-25_2-17-20.png

ZERO
upload_2018-2-25_2-30-48.png
upload_2018-2-25_2-18-59.png

SATIN
upload_2018-2-25_3-25-7.png

GLOSS VARNISH
upload_2018-2-25_2-8-35.png
upload_2018-2-25_2-10-21.png
upload_2018-2-25_3-57-0.png

GLOSSY
upload_2018-2-24_20-50-59.png
upload_2018-2-25_4-11-26.png

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: robbodoc
the right hand / second pic - of the U.S. steelbook - is more glossy and definitely looks Full Gloss / "Glossy"
ROW - U.K. etc. - does not look Full Gloss / "Glossy" . . . but looks like "Gloss Varnish"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe not a bad idea to have a quick recap of the usual finishes:

- MATTE: No sheen, Best finish for maximum fine detailed artwork. Streaks can be a problem

- ZERO: Sheen midway between Matte and Glossy. Vast majority of WWA steelbooks supplied with this finish

- SATIN: Sheen similar to Zero but more opaque. Smoother to the touch

- GLOSS VARNISH: More of a sheen than Zero but not as much as Glossy.
GV allows for metallic reflections to shine through unlike Glossy . . . seen here on the red mist when you tilt the steelbook - and on other Gloss Varnish steelbooks where the look of the artwork changes when the steelbook position is altered.

- GLOSSY: Full gloss. No metallic reflections

Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me the difference between the U.S. and the U.K. steelbooks is obvious . . . with the colours on the U.S. steelbook more vibrant etc..

Examples of the difference between the finishes:-

We can have glossy steelbook with metallic reflection. The blufans for exemple (Avengers 2, Guardian of the Galaxy 1 & 2, etc...). I'm not sure gloss warnish and glossy are different...

• Thanks
Reactions: StifflersDad
We can have glossy steelbook with metallic reflection. The blufans for exemple (Avengers 2, Guardian of the Galaxy 1 & 2, etc...). I'm not sure gloss warnish and glossy are different...
The manufacturer does make a distinction between the two finishes with steelbooks listed as "Gloss Varnish" and others listed as "Glossy".

I'm thinking if both finishes were the same there would be no distinction.

Also seems to me that a Glossy steelbook is different to a Gloss Varnish steelbook with the latter having a thinner coating than the former.

@virkia thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that there is "gloss varnish" beside "full gloss". From your reference pictures I can't see any differences tbh. And from the unboxing video above it does look like full gloss. But hey, if you mean it's "gloss varnish", then so be it ;). I'm glad it's not Matt :)
Now fingers crossed that the German version has the same finish.

Looks like a "Gloss varnish" finish - somewhere between full gloss and zero - w/ metallic reflections which are absent on the U.S. steelbook.

Finish not quite the same as the U.S. - pic from @Wootball and @Wreck just for comparison purposes :-
UK -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- US
View attachment 361494 --------------------------- View attachment 361498

Decent enough steelbook and will sit comfortably with most of the previous THOR UK steelbooks :thumbs:

Nice comparison...The US wins this round by some margin...The hunt is on

Not mine - still waiting

Difficult with static pics to show the difference in finish between the two . . .
UK ......................................................................... US
upload_2018-2-25_14-6-39.png
upload_2018-2-25_14-8-59.png

Reactions: Lionet