USA
Release date: March 6, 2018
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $34.99
SKU: 6162244
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

thor_rag.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Im certainly glad its not 4k/3d/3d because then all releases would be pushing $40 or more. Remember none of the new tvs are 3d, there is no real incentive to ad it in

Had to swap mine out cause it had a gnarly dent on the back side. Managed to swap it without much issue, new one is good.

All the ones I've seen the embossing was slightly off. It looks like there's a 3D effect on the title, and they lined up the embossing with the bottom of the title text but not the bottom of the 3D effect.

Still an awesome looks steelbook.

They do when they've received the order as well as when it's ready for pickup. Maybe check your spam filter?
Not in spam or junk. Always goes to email directly. This time they just didn't send an email. But, it's at the store and I can pick it up tomorrow after the storm.

Just weird that I didn't get an email this time.

Im certainly glad its not 4k/3d/3d because then all releases would be pushing $40 or more. Remember none of the new tvs are 3d, there is no real incentive to ad it in

Yeah, but there are still a few 2018 3D TV’s as well as 2017 3D TV’s ... So 3D TV’s are still relevant when people in the market had recently bought these TV’s and would like to use the 3D functions with 3D movies that the US is barely getting.

Please, tell me if 3D is supposedly dead then why are they releasing Justice League 3D in the states soon?? The studio are waaaay inconsistent with their movie releases and in the US its like random movies get a 3D version And some they just pass for no good reason.

Also, GOTG2 steelbook 4k/3D/Dvd/ Digital combo was sold for only 5 dollars more then the crappier quality versions... They dont have to charge much more for combo packs because to mass produce these dicscs is super cheap!!!! I got Passangers 4k/3D/Digi combo for $20 so doing the 4k/3D/Digital combo is not too costly to do..

For peeps that dont want to spend close to $40 for the combo pack, they can also sell a lower pack with 4k/blu/Digi for a little cheaper and then the last version could be the stand alone dvd for people stuck in old times and dont realize blu ray is just as cheap now...

There is no reason for the 4k/3D/Digital combo to even get a blu-ray or dvd... No combos should include the DVD anymore because serioulsy, who still uses DVD’s when Blu ray is pratcially the same price?

All premium versions should be exactly how they did it with GOTG2 by having all formats included as well as being in a nice steelbook.. They obviously made profits with that release and it was a reasonable price.

Now, for some reason in the states they are releasing Justice League as a standalone 3D version which pisses me off because once again the studios DO NOT know what customers want when it comes to there version of the movie and more 3D/4k combos need to be released.. I also was able to get on release day a few 4k/3D combos for $30...

Think about it.. You honostly think it would cost a company too much to include all the formats for around $25-$30 when they mass produce these dics and pay pennies on the dollar to produce them!

There only needs to be a premium pack with all formats included for a slighlty higher price no more then $35 and then for customers that dont want to pay more then $25 there should be a 4k/blu/digi release in standard slip cover with rounded corners!

All im saying is there can be better packaging including formats for all fans that studios can cater to people willing to spend a little more and then others that just want it the cheapeast way get the watered down versions...
I gurantee all of you buying these Blu Ray combo packs never ever watch the DVD and most likely it just sits in your case or you give it away to a friend..

If they take away the DVD from the higher end packaging, that could possibly lower the retail cost instead of taking away the 3D Disc... Please dont say a 3D disc cost much more then a DVD to produce because newsflash as it really doesnt. Also, they can now transfer the 3D version from the Theater easily!

All these discs been around for very long and can very easily be obtained in the masses for pennies on the dollar... They have all their movies on file, digitally put on to the disc, so once again a 4k/3D combo can be made very affordable and its already been done, (GOTG2) but these studios are too inconsistent constantly changing what we receive in the combo.

I wish i could talk to their employees that come up with these poor decisions and hear there reasoning because in my eyes they are clearly not passionate about their jobs or just dont care about the many customers that want that kind of combo.

Last edited:
I wish i could talk to their employees that come up with these poor decisions and hear there reasoning because in my eyes they are clearly not passionate about their jobs or just dont care about the many customers that want that kind of combo.

Just a correction, one of the GOTG Vol. 2 steelbooks in Canada and the U.S.
had a 4K+3D+2D Blu-ray+Digital combo. That combo pack did not have a DVD in it. The other U.S. steelbook had the DVD.

Now the reason different combo packs are released around the world is so that if you want it all, you have to buy more than one package. It's so they can make more money.

That's their right. Even if it pisses people off, there are many people out there, and on here, who often buy more than one type of steelbook for each release.

You're right. A film studio doesn't care what you want in a home release. So you have the right to buy or not to buy. You also have the right to piss and moan.

But none of that complaining will ever sway the studios to always, or even frequently, release a full package for one price. Because they know there isn't anything anybody will do about it.

So if you only want to buy one package in North America you will have to choose.

4K or 3D. But soon you won't have the choice of 3D.

I prefer that they just offer the empty steelbook as free after buying whichever edition you want.

I remember them doing some Free steelbooks like for the Lion King at Best Buy if you pre ordered the movie during that time you got the Steel book Free and they did it for a few movie releases.

You are right that would be great if they did that. They can allow you to pre order the movie and whoever pre orders would give them a good idea how many Free steelbooks to produce roughly.

Just a correction, one of the GOTG Vol. 2 steelbooks in Canada and the U.S.
had a 4K+3D+2D Blu-ray+Digital combo. That combo pack did not have a DVD in it. The other U.S. steelbook had the DVD.

Now the reason different combo packs are released around the world is so that if you want it all, you have to buy more than one package. It's so they can make more money.

That's their right. Even if it pisses people off, there are many people out there, and on here, who often buy more than one type of steelbook for each release.

You're right. A film studio doesn't care what you want in a home release. So you have the right to buy or not to buy. You also have the right to piss and moan.

But none of that complaining will ever sway the studios to always, or even frequently, release a full package for one price. Because they know there isn't anything anybody will do about it.

So if you only want to buy one package in North America you will have to choose.

4K or 3D. But soon you won't have the choice of 3D.

Yes, you are correct. I wrote DvD being wrong as I meant it was the 2-D blu ray included in GOTG2 4k/3D Combo...
Sorry

As for the rest of your post, yes they release different versions to make more money, but tell me this; lets say for instance tomorrow’s Justice League release in the states at Best Buy has The
4k steelbook as well as the standalone 3D and why close by in India along with a few other international countries are getting the EXACT same Art steelbook as Best Buy, only difference their’s is on steroids?

The messed up part is the international’s steelbook is including the 3D version as one combo and using the same Art as Best Buy.... So, its cool for all other countries to get the 4k/3D steelbook and then here at Best Buy lets release the same exact 4k steelbook, but minus the 3D and sell it seperately?

Please, tell me how this is fair to loyal customers?? Thats BS SELFISH BUSINESS PRACTICE! If 3D is dead in the states then why even release Justice Legaue 3D at Best Buy separately?

Studios want to play that game. Tomorrow I will buy the 3D version of Justice League supporting 3D and just steal the steelbook because if they dont care to milk the states with separating the versions when many parts of the World get the same steelbook, but include the 3D; then I dont care about the studio losing out on milking me more for some selfish business tactics.

If 3D was really dead all The US 3D releases would not be selling out so, what is going on in the studios mind? Maybe, one day more people in high positions that touch the masses will actually have a Heart as well as still make good money... A win-win!

When Best Buy writes on their packaging
“Only at Best Buy” When other retailers are using the same “Art” for their steelbook release then what is really exclusive to Best Buy as they are stating? I guess taking away 3D Makes the Best Buy, exclusive??? (Scratching Head)

I always thought the Art and steelbook packaging itself is what the store exclusives are, so its stupid that other retailers can have the same art which in reality is not exclusive then. Zavi as well gets the same Best Buy (BB) art steelbooks supposedly Exclusive to only BB like Ragnarok, but also includes the 3D version and the states dont get any 3D love for Thor at all. Instead, we get a nice Middle Finger for the loved support. Thanks Disney! (Sarcasm)

Another example that is messed up is when you buy the International steelbook with same Art as Best Buy most the time the international steelbook is of much higher quality. Even if it uses the exact art as Best Buy..

For Disney’s Cars 3 I bought the Best Buy steelbook which is very nice and then imported the Steelbook version that included the 3D format from India. To my surprise, The import used Best Buy’s Exact Art for their steelbook which included the Blu/3D/bonus disc release and Best Buy decides to not include any 3D as well as not include any bonus disc. (SMH) Also, this time Best Buy releases the 4k version separately.

Heres the real kicker. When you look at the same Art on both Cars 3 Steelbooks (BB vs Import) you can see the Quality for the Import is far superior then the the Best Buy steelbook using the same Art... You might ask yourself, How can this be if they are the same steelbook?

Well, for one the import has the entire Cars Logo except the Disney/Pixar logo Embossed very nicely giving nice depth to it and detail. Then, going to the details on Lightning McQueen they embossed as well so the car feels like he really is about to race off the steelbook into your living room. They use a nice metallic blue and some cool reflective colors that shine nicely with the Embossing..

I then take a glance at my Best Buy cars 3 steelbook right away noticing the same exact Art work, but everything is Flat with no embossing at all. It also uses the refelctive blue and gold diffetently in some areas that I would say is the only thing as good at the import or slightly better, but hands down the import wins in better quality! The best buy one reflects a little better..

I feel if a retailer will use the exact Art for their steelbook as another region then one shouldn't be embossed and the other not. If its the same ART work used then it should be the same quality steelbook instead of one being inferior. I can understand releasing different Art for the packaging and then having differences in the steelbook, but I cant understand that the same Art used for both countries, why one gets better Quality?

I agree that yes, the companies can have different versions with DIFFERENT ART to make more money, but its not right to have the same exact Art steelbook with one including 3D at a higher quality and the other steel is inferior as well as selling the 3D separately in a half a**ed slip cover...

Mostly everyone in current times are fighting for an Equal World and rights, so why give the states the short end of the stick always?

If they chose to lets say in India as well as some other countries getting the same Best Buy steelbook, but including the 3D; then why cant Best Buy have the same release? BB & International releases are using the same art steelbook for many releases.

If like you said they want to create a different version to make more money then they should have sold the 3D and 4k separately everywhere (whack choice) or did it like the international release by having the same steelbook with both formats included. Then they can still have other versions to make more money, but dont tell me when they are releasing the same exact Art steelbook that I should be ok they are sellIng the versions separately in the US...

Also, Im not sure even with the studio’s disconnect to customers as well as some tv Manufacturers forcing death upon 3D in the states that 3D will fully die any time soon.. Look at the statistics of many recent 3D movies being released internationally selling out very fast... So far every Disney/Pixar and Marvel Movie that was released in 3D at Best Buy sold out and now we have Justice League 3D coming out tomorrow sepately and I predict it selling out eventually.

So, please tell me when will 3D be dead if many customers in international countries still support it and they keep selling out when a 3D movie is released even in the states?

The decisions of how these versions are released, whats included or not included is what is poor and the reason why 3D may have seemed to struggle in the states. There are many haters for 3D, but I could defend that I seen just as many peeps very passionate for 3D...

The studios should listen to customers feed back because when being connecting to the worldwide community it gets upsetting when I see the same steelbook is coming out in another country, but way better as well as including the 3D... If the product exists internationally then release it here in the states as well and watch it sell out!

Having these kind of releases where customers feel cheated that they paid the same price for an inferior product like this will effect how some customers do buy and I do vote with my wallet.. Thats why I have to import most my releases knowing Best Buy has the same version, just watered down...

Dear studios,

I buy much less knowing the Truth and I will steal your watered down versions! Catch me if you can!

Last edited:
When Best Buy writes on their packaging
“Only at Best Buy” When other retailers are using the same “Art” for their steelbook release then what is really exclusive to Best Buy as they are stating? I guess taking away 3D Makes the Best Buy, exclusive??? (Scratching Head)

“Only at Best Buy” and "exclusive" simply mean that in the United States, Best Buy is the only retailer that will be selling the steelbook. You won't find it at Target or anywhere else in the U.S.

“Only at Best Buy” and "exclusive" simply mean that in the United States, Best Buy is the only retailer that will be selling the steelbook. You won't find it at Target or anywhere else in the U.S.

I understand the intent, but its still really not exclusive because Best Buy Ships World Wide and we are all connected now so Exclusive should be Only to that retailer World Wide just like we get from the specialty companies. Best Buy keeps getting the watered down version when I see on Ebay the person importing from India had the exact steelbook, but includes a bonus disc as well as the 3D. Here Best Buy separates The combo and sells the 3D as a standalone and mostly no bonus disc.

Its not cool to always see at BB the exclusive always to gett less for the same price as my fellow countries buying the same steelbook with more content. BB is releasing 3D Versions, but they are not including it combo as they do with the international release so if Best Buy wants to say that’s a Exclusive, then will buy the better international version with same exact art as BB And they lose a local customer.. Its not hard to order when we have Amazon everywhere...

Before we know it they will have Drones flying us our movies and imagine when your movie arrives at your feet landing personally for you with a hologram message giving you a greeting. We shall see if they can pull that off, but for now Best Buy has comp and a real EXshould give more incentive to want to shop with them and Im sorry International is winning by giving more to the customer with the same Exclusive Art. Cant fool me and it is not so Exclusive when we connected to the World!

For some movies i paid about the same price to import it from an international country with Best Buys exact steelbook art, but having 4k as well as all the extras. So basically, Best Buy loses out on those sales when its truly not really Exclusive and maybe to there closed minds at corporate thinking that its so hard for me to go on Amazon Uk And literally have it here to the states pretty fast for the same price BB charges for giving less content and then I have to buy 2 versions to complete what I get from the import all in one combo as well as having a bonus disc. (Mind Blown) :wow:

Technically, yes it’s Exclusive to Best Buy in the US, but I can also say Best Buy has competition with places like Amazon that Imports for very cheap with the same exact versions of steelbook art, pmus coming with more content at the same price. Sorry BB, but they are losing me slowly. I cant go into Best Buy knowing that this steelbook literally exists with more content and I can easily access Amazon UK as quickly as Amzon US; so its almost a no brainer to just import it. Plus, with Amazon Prime they give Free 2 Day Shipping

Last edited:
I understand the intent, but its still really not exclusive because Best Buy Ships World Wide

As far as I know Best Buy USA doesn't ship outside of the USA.

But it sounds to me like you're going to have a lifetime to learn to live with disappointment
Or just be disappointed all the time.

All the best to you.

I understand the intent, but its still really not exclusive because Best Buy Ships World Wide and we are all connected now so Exclusive should be Only to that retailer World Wide just like we get from the specialty companies. Best Buy keeps getting the watered down version when I see on Ebay the person importing from India had the exact steelbook, but includes a bonus disc as well as the 3D. Here Best Buy separates The combo and sells the 3D as a standalone and mostly no bonus disc.

Its not cool to always see at BB the exclusive always to gett less for the same price as my fellow countries buying the same steelbook with more content. BB is releasing 3D Versions, but they are not including it combo as they do with the international release so if Best Buy wants to say that’s a Exclusive, then will buy the better international version with same exact art as BB And they lose a local customer.. Its not hard to order when we have Amazon everywhere...

Before we know it they will have Drones flying us our movies and imagine when your movie arrives at your feet landing personally for you with a hologram message giving you a greeting. We shall see if they can pull that off, but for now Best Buy has comp and a real EXshould give more incentive to want to shop with them and Im sorry International is winning by giving more to the customer with the same Exclusive Art. Cant fool me and it is not so Exclusive when we connected to the World!

For some movies i paid about the same price to import it from an international country with Best Buys exact steelbook art, but having 4k as well as all the extras. So basically, Best Buy loses out on those sales when its truly not really Exclusive and maybe to there closed minds at corporate thinking that its so hard for me to go on Amazon Uk And literally have it here to the states pretty fast for the same price BB charges for giving less content and then I have to buy 2 versions to complete what I get from the import all in one combo as well as having a bonus disc. (Mind Blown) :wow:

Technically, yes it’s Exclusive to Best Buy in the US, but I can also say Best Buy has competition with places like Amazon that Imports for very cheap with the same exact versions of steelbook art, pmus coming with more content at the same price. Sorry BB, but they are losing me slowly. I cant go into Best Buy knowing that this steelbook literally exists with more content and I can easily access Amazon UK as quickly as Amzon US; so its almost a no brainer to just import it. Plus, with Amazon Prime they give Free 2 Day Shipping
Wow. First of all, you are not getting free 2 days shipping from international Amazons, even if you have Prime in USA. Shipping charges from international amazons were just raised almost 100%.
Next : i would say you have a 50% chance of getting damaged in some way steelbook from European amazons shipped to US. There is basically no protection.
Most steelbooks that include 4k will not be cheaper in UK or other European countries with the exclusion of few titles like Suicide Squad.
Thor is not cheaper in any way.
Plus Best Buy steelbook is full gloss and debossed, which didn’t happen with the same steelbooks in other countries.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: dfoles