[Trading Info] USPS to start online 1st Class PACKAGE International Postage

Ricker

Special Projects
Premium Supporter
Aug 24, 2011
Buxton Maine
Mod Team-please leave here for now, for extra visibility to trading community as whole. Thanks!

I have been waiting for this service to finally arrive.:oohyeah:

More info here:

https://www.usps.com/business/first-class-package-international-service.htm

Capture.JPG

Can't wait to try this. Come on guys buy some stuff.:hilarious:

Last edited by a moderator:
So if I declare as merchandise $250 USD the receiver doesn't have to pay custom fees?

No, That's not how it works at all - you cannot bypass the rules and regulations of the receiving country - they have the final word.
So, if you live in the Uk, you are resticted to £15 unless the package comes from a private individual, is marked gift and does not fall into a restricted category.
Alternatively, if the package comes from anyone (Company or individual) within the EU it goes straight through customs unmolested - unless it falls into a restricted category.

The restrictions laid down by USPS and the US government in this instance is $400

So, whatever the restrictions laid down by customs in Germany for incoming goods are, you are bound by those.

The USPS service starts at $6-55 (online) and is restricted to a package with combined dimensions (L x W x H) of 36 inches (42 inches for tubes and rolls), and 4lbs in weight.

Hope you found this helpful. :)
Finally, if you have a moment, please visit my Fast & Furious thread and thank it. I need your vote :thumbs:

Last edited:
Before I thought I could only ship a priority USPS box from the US to another US address if I wanted in-home scheduled pickup?
Otherwise with USPS there was no other way to ship from home is what I thought.

Now there saying I can send flat rate shipping to US addresses and international?
Hmm going to have to talk to USPS again, was just about to start a trade thread hope this makes it so there is no need to go to the post office EVER!

No, That's not how it works at all - you cannot bypass the rules and regulations of the receiving country - they have the final word.
So, if you live in the Uk, you are resticted to £18 unless the package comes from a private individual, is marked gift and does not fall into a restricted category.
Alternatively, if the package comes from anyone (Company or individual) within the EU it goes straight through customs unmolested - unless it falls into a retricted category.

The restrictions laid down by USPS and the US government in this instance is $400

So, whatever the restrictions laid down by customs in Germany for incoming goods are, you are bound by those.

The USPS service starts at $6-55 (online) and is restricted to a package with combined dimensions (L x W x H) of 36 inches (42 inches for tubes and rolls), and 4lbs in weight.

Finally, if you have a moment, please visit my Fast & Furious thread and thank it. I need your vote :thumbs:

Just one correction. It's been £15 for the UK for a couple of years . Otherwise spot on,

Reactions: JackRegan
So, if you live in the Uk, you are resticted to £15 unless the package comes from a private individual, is marked gift and does not fall into a restricted category.
Alternatively, if the package comes from anyone (Company or individual) within the EU it goes straight through customs unmolested - unless it falls into a restricted category.

By private individual do you mean private seller? I.e independent sellers in the "For Sale/For Trade" threads. Or would that have to be marked as merchandise?

Oh and thanked your thread by the way, nice collection you've got going there. :)

Reactions: JackRegan
By private individual do you mean private seller? I.e independent sellers in the "For Sale/For Trade" threads. Or would that have to be marked as merchandise?

Oh and thanked your thread by the way, nice collection you've got going there. :)

Legally, yes. It should be marked merchandise; but if they are not a 'registered' seller on ebay or wherever, then could get away with marking parcels as 'gift' but should ensure there isn't an invoice present - just in case someone gets nosey.

Many thanks for the kind words - and the 'thanks' - I've got some more to photograph, a few more to find and five more on their way from the US soon.
One that's all done and up to date - start in on my 007 collection - quite a bit there too :)

Readers - if you haven't visited and voted a thanks for my Fast and Furious Collection, please do by following the link below - All gratefully received. I need your votes :thumbs:

Reactions: UpsetSmiley

are you talking about UK or US?

Just a note folks. USPS have updated their page on this form of delivery and it is now restricted to: Postcards, Letters and Large Envelopes. Also eligible for flats up to 4lbs and $400 in value.

So, due to being restricted to a maximum of 3/4 of an inch thick, this leaves out steelbooks.

If anyone does try and is successful, please post here and let us know.

Last edited:
Just a note folks. USPS have updated their page on this form of delivery and it is now restricted to: Postcards, Letters and Large Envelopes. Also eligible for flats up to 4lbs and $400 in value.

So, due to being restricted to a maximum of 3/4 of an inch thick, this leaves out steelbooks.

If anyone does try and is successful, please post here and let us know.

That's incorrect Antony, just sent 1st class package international on Friday and have been sending this way since the postage upgrade.

USPS online still allows for this to be chosen as an option, when I created a label five minutes ago for mailing on Monday.

You are likely not looking at the "First Class PACKAGE International" rules - but rather "First Class MAIL International" :thumbs:

This really is a time saver. I have been filling out the customs form online, but the purchase had to be done in the post office. This will make my life a little bit easier. It looks like paypal shipping has not yet added it as an option though, unless the purchase is through ebay. I hope they do soon.

1st class parcel is track-able to a limited number of countries, Canada and Germany being among them. The tracking updates are not the greatest once it leaves the US borders, but it does show delivery confirmation, in my experience.

Yes, you can pay with paypal on usps.com. I am referring to purchasing and printing the shipping directly through paypal, either linked to a transaction, which is the easiest and a great tool when available, or through paypal.com/shipnow. Unfortunately, paypal shipping does not sell international 1st class parcel postage unless the item being shipped was sold through ebay. I hope that makes sense :)

Yes, you can pay with paypal on usps.com. I am referring to purchasing and printing the shipping directly through paypal, either linked to a transaction, which is the easiest and a great tool when available, or through paypal.com/shipnow. Unfortunately, paypal shipping does not sell international 1st class parcel postage unless the item being shipped was sold through ebay. I hope that makes sense :)

Totally makes sense - and I agree, if this was a bit more integrated between the two, would save a lot of time printing and shipping.

Right now I have to do all my labels through USPS and then manually update the "tracking" with the customs number from USPS when I do group buys.

Totally makes sense - and I agree, if this was a bit more integrated between the two, would save a lot of time printing and shipping.

Right now I have to do all my labels through USPS and then manually update the "tracking" with the customs number from USPS when I do group buys.

I feel for you on the group buys. That is a ton of extra work. Hopefully paypal will follow usps.com and add international 1st class parcel as an option.

For domestic shipments, paypal shipping offers media mail, 1st class and a whole range of options, but can only do priority or express for international shipping of packages. The one caveat is that the buyer must pay via goods/service payment, then the address is pre-populated, the tracking number automatically links back to the payment and is emailed to the buyer's paypal email automatically. It is an incredible time saver, but is not available for gift payments. Paypal.com/shipnow can be used for gift payments, but the tracking number is not automatically linked to the payment and you have to copy and paste the address line by line.

For domestic shipments, I ask buyers to please send goods/service payment to take advantage of the easy paypal shipping and tracking. If paypal adds 1st class package international as an option and buyers send goods/service payment, then we would almost never need to go to usps.com. Here's to wishful thinking :rolleyes: