UK Postal Charges set to change .... yet again !!

surfury

AlienGreyhoundSteel
Premium Supporter
Mar 18, 2011
Back home in Cornwall, UK
Just checked website of Royal Mail and see that yet again postal charges from Royal Mail are set to change, this time with effect from 2nd April 2013. If anyone wants a pdf then they can go here and follow the link at the bottom for a downloadable version.

I have used the word change rather than rise like I did last year as they are "simplifying" the weight bands for International Post which will now go up in 250gm increments rather than 100gm. What does this all mean ? Well checking some of the rates, currently to send a single Steelbook with a single disc in a padded Play box (weighing about 240gm) it is £4.98, under the new tariff same Steel will cost £4.50 as it's under 250g. A heavier Steel with 2 discs or more will be in the next band so would cost £7.20, which will be the same for sending 2 Steels (if they're single discers), and cost £7.98 at the moment. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

For those of us in the UK sending internally sadly there is no good news, it's just going to get more expensive which ever way you cut it. :(

Last edited:
Based on my boxes :

DSC_0001.JPG

The 10cm deep box will be classed as a MEDIUM box, which I want to avoid, because those prices are plain stupid.

SOOOOO

A way around it, would be to use the smaller boxes as such:

DSC_0004.JPG

This means its within the SMALL PARCEL price (under 1kg - fits 4 steels)

Once you go into above 1kg territory I'd suggest doing the same thing above and tape boxes together so you pay SMALL PARCELS (£7.95) price rather than MEDIUM: (£10)

DSC_0003.JPG
(This would fit 8 steelbooks)

Remember its about avoiding the DEPTH restriction here - but you all use different boxes etc so use this as you please :E

For bigger parcels above 4 steelbooks (1kg) you'll have to seriously consider using HERMES:

1KG - 2KG: £4.20
2KG - 5KG: £5.40

With those prices Hermes charge i think they will certainly be getting a lot more business when it comes to the LARGER parcels (5 steels or more). I don't think Royal Mail will have many loyal customers after this change, which is a real shame :(

Hope all this made sense!

Last edited:
Thanks mate for the detailed clarification. My concern is with overseas shipping. I checked the new measuring scale at the post office today and the weight limit is still 2 Kg for small packet but the dimension of course has been shrinked. This means we got to attach 2 identical boxes and send. What a pain in the ass. Even Royal Mail's own small packet boxes don't fit the new dimension. People behind these stupid decisions should be fired.

Sounds like we have to switch to using private couriers for bigger parcels.

How does Hermes work? Do couriers pick up from me or do I take my parcels to a depot somewhere? I've only ever used the Royal Mail, so it would be great if I understood how my other options work lol

Using Hermes is easy, just register

you need to print off one sheet of paper which is split between the address which needs to go onto the package and the other half needs to go into the package.

You can either get them to collect it from you which costs around 30p extra or you can take it to a local ParcelShop :)

Easey Peasey. I've used them a few times now for a few heavier items and they might be a bit slower but it gets there. If you've packaged your stuff well then I would happily keep using these :)

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Thanks mate for the detailed clarification. My concern is with overseas shipping. I checked the new measuring scale at the post office today and the weight limit is still 2 Kg for small packet but the dimension of course has been shrinked. This means we got to attach 2 identical boxes and send. What a pain in the ass. Even Royal Mail's own small packet boxes don't fit the new dimension. People behind these stupid decisions should be fired.

Sounds like we have to switch to using private couriers for bigger parcels.

It will be interesting to see how they change their 'Price Finder' tool on their website, which I find very helpful.

Their 'Small Packets' for international is actually pretty good - 60cm on all sides (24 inch). 2kg max.

EU
So for 1 steel (1 disc) under 250g - signed for - WAS £8.54 to EU, next week £8.80
So for 1 steel (2-3+ discs) Between 251 and 500g - signed for - WAS £9.97 to EU, next week £10.25

World Zone 1 (Asia, North/South Americas)
So for 1 steel (1 disc) under 250g - signed for - WAS £10.13, next week £9.80 (SAVES YOU MONEY)
So for 1 steel (2-3+ discs) Between 251 and 500g - signed for - WAS £13.13, next week £12.50 (SAVES YOU MONEY)

World Zone 2 (Australia/NZ)
So for 1 steel (1 disc) under 250g - signed for - WAS £10.25, next week £10 (SAVES YOU MONEY)
So for 1 steel (2-3+ discs) Between 251 and 500g - signed for - WAS £13.41, next week £12.85 (SAVES YOU MONEY)

BOOM

Last edited:
Yes mate, I am aware of the small packet rate which looks good for 2 or more Steels but don't see anything related to Medium Parcels for EU / Rest of the World.

There is ONLY one size limit for INTERNATIONAL mate - the whole small/medium crap is JUST for within the UK :)

"60cm on each side - length/width/height (24 inch). 2kg max."

Last edited:
Cheers mate but I am pretty sure the height is restricted to about 8 or 10 cms when I checked in the post office today. I stacked 4 Zavvi boxes on top of each other but with 2 Steels in the middle as the boxes aren't safe to ship overseas as it is. The guy at the counter said from next week they won't accept parcel of that height and showed me the new scale. I will double check tomorrow and revert back.

Guys, don't have time to read the whole thread, but can someone just confirm that there will be NO changes in terms of international shipping.

I'm due to ship some regular packages out to a few Ninjas - always come in a fraction under 2kg but size of package (box dimensions) can be quite big to ensure bomb proofing.

Just want to be sure I don't need to bring forward April shipments and don't need to worry about box size....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

"Maximum size: length, width or height less than 600mm
How long is 600mm? Roughly as long as two sheets of (A4) paper laid end to end."

From HERE

aye let us know how you get on...otherwise I'm just going by their bloomin' marketing :)

see here:

rsz_rm.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Guys, don't have time to read the whole thread, but can someone just confirm that there will be NO changes in terms of international shipping.

I'm due to ship some regular packages out to a few Ninjas - always come in a fraction under 2kg but size of package (box dimensions) can be quite big to ensure bomb proofing.

Just want to be sure I don't need to bring forward April shipments and don't need to worry about box size....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Just scan the thread...won't take you long to find what you want you lazy git :p

... it will be SLIGHTLY CHEAPER sending it abroad. No matter on the weight. (up to 2kg)

Reactions: lgans316 and Antman
Okay guys. Just been the post office. 60 x 60 x 60 is the maximum dimension for International small parcels which is a good news but dimension restrictions for U.K small parcels apply. The bad news is it is going to cost nearly 2 quid more if we were to ship a single Steelbook overseas weighing between 251 and 499 grams and the compensation value for standard delivery has been drastically dropped.

Okay guys. Just been the post office. 60 x 60 x 60 is the maximum dimension for International small parcels which is a good news but dimension restrictions for U.K small parcels apply. The bad news is it is going to cost nearly 2 quid more if we were to ship a single Steelbook overseas weighing between 251 and 499 grams and the compensation value for standard delivery has been drastically dropped.

Mate - glad to hear that their marketing is correct regarding the sizes abroad.

Compensation within the UK has been slashed by half. :(

£2 more to send a single steel abroad? Look here: http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/RoyalMail_OurPrices_April2013b.pdf

My previous post (no 25) about prices remain correct - going by RM's marketing.

Last edited:
I agree its stupid - even more so when like i did this morning, check in my post office and they really haven't been told anything. I knew more than them just by reading the stuff online :D

It's under a week to go until the change... you'd think Royal Mail would at least ensure their own staff know everything :D

Royalmail AIRSURE from UK to Germany who delivers the parcels is it a courier?and how can I track it on the German side.

I have used the uk site and it shows delivery unsuccessful not to happy at the person I sold the item to contacted him 3 times with how well I packed his item,the tracking info and the parcel tried being delivered never responded to any.

And the amount of negatives he as left sellers is a joke ;( this is a GERMAN eBay buyer.

Last edited:
Royal Mail tracking sucks. Been like this for ages.

Try inputting the bar code in German Post website as they should have scanned at their end.

Will do mate I upgraded his post to AIRSURE something I sold in holland posted a day before That got to the buyer way quicker and that was ISF ;(

I wouldn't be to bothered but it was a expensive OZ metal slip :ohno: I sent