Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - In theaters July 21, 2017

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)

Genre: [GENRE]Science Fiction[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Luc Besson[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Cara Delevingne[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Dane DeHaan[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Clive Owen[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Rihanna[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Ethan Hawke[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]John Goodman[/ACTOR]

Plot: A dark force threatens Alpha, a vast metropolis and home to species from a thousand planets. Special operatives Valerian and Laureline must race to identify the marauding menace and safeguard not just Alpha, but the future of the universe.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
jfIpMh79fGRqYJ6PwZLCntzgxlF.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

Luc Besson joined Twitter earlier today and announced his big new Sci-Fi Project 'Valerian'.
Starring Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne.

This is based on the graphic novel of the same name, Valerian.

In Luc Besson's Valerian, DeHaan and Delevingne will play the iconic characters Valerian and Laureline. Besson will write and direct the film. Virginie Besson Silla will produce on behalf of EuropaCorp which will finance, produce and distribute the film. Valerian, which has influenced generations of Sci-Fi writers and directors, was created by Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mezieres in 1967 and has since sold over 10 million copies in 21 languages. Production is set to begin at the end of this year with a global release slated for summer 2017. Description from Amazon: "Valerian and his partner, Laureline, are agents for the vast Galaxity organization. In the past their missions have taken them to all corners of the galaxy and through time as well. But now Galaxity is gone, and Valerian and Laureline are dependent upon their meager remaining resources and their ingenuity."

IMG_0803.JPG
FullSizeRender-3.jpg FullSizeRender-2.jpg FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nefilim
Begrudgingly saw this in 4D today for the granddaughters and it was actually pretty cool. They synced up many of the sapce scenes pretty well which gave a sensation of floating, especially with the decent 3D. The movie itself had besson written all over it but I am a fan of his and totally enjoyed it. Cannot wait to,own this on Blu-ray 3D and innsteelbook no doubt. Solid 3 out of 4.

• Thanks
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Flloydo and Drum18
Really enjoyed this film, but its definitely a leave your brain outside film. Luc has spent all his time making it look amazing, but forgot script, chemistry or acting. The film looks AMAZING!!!! and I will say this for all the 4K fanboys, this will look SH*T in 4K. This film exists for one reason and one reason only and thats Luc getting to play with 3D, and boy does he play, it absolutely destroys Avatar in the eye candy stakes, at points the depth is so good you feel like stepping in the screen and joining them. ABSOLUTELY SUPERB 3D. Unfortunately take the 3D away and its a 2 star film at best. It exists ONLY to be seen in 3D, because there is very little that can be said about the film when thats removed. Its exceptionally shallow, there is zero chemistry between the leads and the story is a total mess. But as a trip into what can be done with 3D it's lightyears ahead of any other 3D film I've seen and I seen hundreds.

Oh and yes Cara is HOT as always and LUSH in 3D

• Thanks
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Flloydo and Drum18
Originally I wasn't up for this but I fancy it now.

I fancy some bull sh*t mind numbing action packed sci fi with crazy visuals and I think this will deliver plus I'll always give Luc a go after 3 of my favourite films being Leon, the fifth element and Angel A

Love a bit of cara too (not the best actress but I didn't mind her in Paper towns)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I still think this looks like absolute trash to be honest... really hoping I'm wrong though and manage to have a bit of fun with it at least.

I feel sorry for the director, he's put a lot of money into the film and will likely lose it all. Not heard any good reviews of the film, the only positive I've heard is the world is visually stunning.

Finally watched this tonight. Had a lot of fun. For sure has that Fifth Element feel to it.

I really enjoyed it except for 2 things.
First off, too much CGI in parts. Sometimes it works, but it would have worked much better with practical effects and creatures.

Secondly... and this is a big one....
Dane Dehaan is completely miscast in this. He's totally wrong for the role. I like him as an actor in other films but he didn't work for this. He tries to act like this tough guy cool agent and that just isn't him. I can think of so many other actors who would have been better in the part. A real shame as this might have even done better at the box office if they had picked someone more suitable and maybe more of a "name".

Anyone else finally catch this now that its on Blu-ray?