Verizon to kill "unlimited" data option for new Smartphone users

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per Twice News:

Basking Ridge, N.J. -Verizon Wireless plans sometime this summer to drop its flat-fee unlimited-data plan for new smartphone users.

Verizon will replace it with tiered plans offering capped amounts of usage at different price points, a spokesperson confirmed.

At some point, the carrier will also offer family data plans, that like family voice/text plans, will enable a family to share a bucket of megabytes, the spokesperson said.

The spokesperson confirmed a Reuters report quoting Verizon Communications CFO Fran Shammo about the carrier's data plans. Analysts see carriers moving away from offering only unlimited-data smartphone plans, as AT&T did last year, to reduce the capacity strains on their networks as smartphone adoption explodes. Offering less expensive tiered plans will also expand the potential smartphone user base, generating additional income for carriers, analysts said.

Verizon Wireless currently offers a $29.99/monthly smartphone data plan allowing for unlimited use. For awhile beginning last October through early this year, Verizon began offering a $15/ month data plan for 150MB of data on an experimental basis while maintaining its $29.99 unlimited-use plan.

In June 2010, AT&T dropped its $30/month unlimited-data plan to launch two options: $15 for 200MB and $25 for 2GB.

For its part, Sprint offers combined voice/data plans with unlimited data, and it offers data-plan add-ons to voice plans at $15 and $30/month. T-Mobile also offers combined voice/data plans that include data. Some of those plans include unlimited data, though some throttle back speeds once 2GB or 5GB of data are consumed, the carrier's web site shows. The carrier also offers voice/data plans that include 200MB of data.

That's what people are complaining about. Verizon doesn't plan on doing that. As soon as you upgrade your plan changes.

Big Rick-yeah, that's why I will be seeing what they do until our contract is up 8/2012. If they change their tune and try to tier us before then regardless of what they're saying now, we're done with them.

Big Rick-yeah, that's why I will be seeing what they do until our contract is up 8/2012. If they change their tune and try to tier us before then regardless of what they're saying now, we're done with them.

I don't know what ill do if Sprint starts this. I better be granfatherd in or it looks like it will be time to buy phones at full retail. LoL.

im just glad my ISP doesnt seem to notice the 300-500 gig download and 130 gig upload a month rate that hasnt changed in years lol, people i know get messages from theyre ISP telling them to stop downloading, i more than 6 fold their download rates and ISP doesnt call or send letters...

Update from Zdnet-July 5,2011:

Verizon Wireless has confirmed that unlimited data plans for new smartphone customers will be withdrawn on July 7 and replaced with a tiered plan.
Verizon spokeswoman Brenda Raney confirmed to FierceWireless that the unlimited plans were on the way out. The tiered monthly plans will be as follows:
  • $30 - 2 GB
  • $50 - 5 GB
  • $80 - 10 GB
On top of this there will be a $20 monthly charge for those wanting to tether devices to a smartphone, and an overage charge of $10 per GB. Feature phone users will be able to pay $10 for 75MB.
Note: 100MB equals about 10 minutes of standard definition YouTube video or 200 ‘typical’ web pages.
Existing customers, along with those who upgrade on or after July 7 will be able keep their unlimited smartphone data plan.

At they are doing the right thing by grandfathering current plans. What sucks though is that when someone adds a line that line has to get one of these new data plans.