Vinyl sales overtake digital sales in UK

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...-records-outsell-digital-in-uk-for-first-time

"
It was once a pastime dominated by audiophile dads and nostalgic hipsters. But last week, for the first time in history, the amount of money spent on vinyl records in the UK overtook that spent on digital downloads.

Vinyl sales hit £2.4m last week compared with the £2.1m made from digital music purchases, further proof that record shopping has gone mainstream.

The interest in buying a physical format of music on vinyl has experienced a resurgence in the past 12 months. This time last year, the sale of vinyl albums reached £1.2m while digital sales were £4.4m. Vinyl has also experienced eight consecutive years of growth, despite almost dying out around 2006.

Kim Bayley, chief executive of the Entertainment Retailers Association, attributed the surge in part to the number of places now selling records across the UK. An increasing number of vinyl-only record shops have opened, while supermarkets such as Sainsbury’s and Tesco, and even high street interiors shop Tiger, now stock records, making them easily accessible."

@Wreck

• Thanks
Reactions: Wreck and dan8885
I've read that too today but I'm not sure how representative it really is. Since it's Christmas time and people buying Vinyl a lot as a gift. Nobody buys Digital Downloads as a gift.
Then it was Black Friday in the US but there was a whole bunch of special vinyl releases for that day around the world and of course a lot of reduced vinyl on that day.
And of course all companies throwing out new releases end of the year. A lot of repressings, Boxsets, Compilations and what not. So it is truly remarkable but you can also clearly see why.

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill
What a time to be alive. When all media is going digital, something like this happens :thumbs:
But to keep things in perspective, this is "amount of money spend on vinyl" not "number of records sold". Digital tracks are of course cheaper than vinyls, but yet people are willing to spend that money, which is saying something. :)

Reactions: C2V3N
Great news! Love going in to my HMV to see so many people looking through their vinyl section now... back when they first introduced it the vinyl isle always seemed to be dead whenever I went in. Long live vinyl! :D

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo and dan8885