Cancelled Westworld (Season 4) [HBO]

kaw

Pop!/Movies/TV Mod
Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
Westworld
coming to HBO in October 2016.

Westworld' is a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the future of sin. The one-hour drama features actors Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, Evan Rachel Wood, James Marsden, Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright, Rodrigo Santoro, Shannon Woodward, Ingrid Bolsø Berdal, Angela Sarafyan, and Simon Quarterman.

Jonathan Nolan serves as executive producer/writer/director; Lisa Joy as executive producer/writer; executive producers are J.J. Abrams, Jerry Weintraub, and Bryan Burk.

'Westworld' is inspired by the film of the same name, written and directed by Michael Crichton.

westworld-logo-1.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that may have worked better.

I was looking forward to it, but for me it was probably one of the weakest pilots for a show I have ever seen. I read they made it three times but in my opinion it's still not right. It was slow, the acting was wooden, (yes they were mainly robots I am in main talking about the people who were not robots) the dialogue was terrible and as much as I love Evan R Wood she couldn't save it. It was such a disappointment I can't really believe such amazing minds as JJ Abrams and J. Nolan could create in my opinion such drivel. I am willing to give it a second episode, I kept watching the first hoping it might improve. I mean like has been suggested if they had played it out like a western for a bit but revealing it all in the first episode not sure how they are to stretch out the concept into a whole series. The idea was was very interesting and worked as a film not sure how it is to play out as a series. I am sure others will disagree and love it even, but this is my opinion only.

The pacing was like a Western for me. Slow, deliberate build up. I'm familiar with Nolan's work on Person of Interest and that premise was about the underlying flaws and dangers of Super A.I.s. All the gun play and case of the week stuff was secondary. I'm sure this will approach the same issues but with 'Ghosts in the Machine' instead of world controlling A.I. There's a lot of potential with this and the science/philosophical arguments behind it are fascinating.

Unfortunately unless you're really interested in this kind of thing it can make for boring television. I'm really keen to see how this plays out but they probably had to strip things back a bit due to having to conclude the plot in 10 episodes as opposed to 20 odd with you would get on other networks.

The pacing was like a Western for me. Slow, deliberate build up. I'm familiar with Nolan's work on Person of Interest and that premise was about the underlying flaws and dangers of Super A.I.s. All the gun play and case of the week stuff was secondary. I'm sure this will approach the same issues but with 'Ghosts in the Machine' instead of world controlling A.I. There's a lot of potential with this and the science/philosophical arguments behind it are fascinating.

Unfortunately unless you're really interested in this kind of thing it can make for boring television. I'm really keen to see how this plays out but they probably had to strip things back a bit due to having to conclude the plot in 10 episodes as opposed to 20 odd with you would get on other networks.

I am very interested in this 'kind of thing' but this for me was extremely sloppy and wasteful of a great idea.

I am very very familiar with both Abrams and Nolan's work. That is why I was very disappointed by this show. You mentioned Person of Interest now that is a very clever, well acted and well made show by them both, excellent dialogue and acting there. It is also a shame they cancelled Alcatraz now that was a interesting show.

I am very interested in this 'kind of thing' but this for me was extremely sloppy and wasteful of a great idea.

I am very very familiar with both Abrams and Nolan's work. That is why I was very disappointed by this show. You mentioned Person of Interest now that is a very clever, well acted and well made show by them both, excellent dialogue and acting there. It is also a shame they cancelled Alcatraz now that was a interesting show.

That's true. Alcartaz was a good idea. POI took it's time getting going, however that become one of the most intellectual, and ahead of it's time shows in it's 3rd, 4th and 5th seasons.

I'm willing to get behind Westworld as it's only had one episode and they may have had to accelerate their narrative somewhat but I can totally see where you're coming from.

Reactions: Flash
POI took it's time getting going, however that become one of the most intellectual, and ahead of it's time shows in it's 3rd, 4th and 5th seasons.

Man... I stopped watching POI in the middle of the 2nd season. Really need to watch it all now.
Everyone seems to say it gets a lot better... I regret stopping.

• Thanks
Reactions: jitstark and Flash
Man... I stopped watching POI in the middle of the 2nd season. Really need to watch it all now.

Aww you should it's excellent way better than this which I'm sad to say was really looking forward to Westworld :(

Reactions: jitstark

You really should. There are a few filler episodes in season 3 and 4 but the whole story arc is incredible. I have to get round to getting the blu-rays

• Thanks
Reactions: Flash and kaw
Everyone still watching this?
It has become the show that I look forward to watching the most (that's on tv right now). I just love it.

Thoughts on tonights episode?

• Thanks
Reactions: earthscope
Have to admit that although i like the look of this show, i am left wondering at what this place actually is. So far, all i see are sex hungry people that are cruel and evil by nature. So i am left wondering whether this is a virtual sex / violence ridden world of the future? I think the possibilities of this show could have been very much in awe of how real it looks as opposed to how horrible people can be. It's missing the Spielberg treatment. That and of course how every word that comes out of people is so rude. It just puts me off.

It has become the show that I look forward to watching the most (that's on tv right now). I just love it.

This and Supergirl are the two shows I make sure I watch every week.

I liked this latest episode. Filled in enough backstory whilst leaving you with more questions. I've put them in the spoiler so as to, em.... not spoil it for people who haven't watched:

1. Did the Host at the end bash his own head in to prevent the techs taking his head back for anaysis or was it htat he had to kill himself as he couldn't hurt a human (3 laws)?

2. What happened to Arnold? Is he walking around as a Host?

3. Now that Bernard and awoken Delores what does that mean for her especially as she's just killed and found two more guests?

Bernards son being dead made his character a lot more interesting and actually made his conversations with Deloris more meaningful. Seeing her a surrogate child to teach was always going to end badly.

I liked the fact that Teddy didn't have a backstory. It's like life. Everyone thinks they're special until they realise they're not. Slightly Nihilistic but pretty spot on.

Also I'm intrigued to see what happens to the Hosts who are not part of the new storyline. Deloris ends up saying the the same thing she would have said to Teddy about the heard roaming close to dark before she gets home but he's not there anymore as he's now got his own quest. This means he will never be there to save her from the bandits which is actually quite tragic. I really liked her 'Edge of Tomorrow' flashbacks which helped her get away at the end.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
I'm still on board as this continues to be quality show. I'm interested to see the direction the show goes when things really hit the fan. I saw this as more of a miniseries than a multiple season show so I'll just have to wait and see.

• Thanks
@jcm They have plotted out 5 seasons of this show, So they know where they are going and what all happens. I guess there is the possibility of other parks like the film or maybe even go into some of the plot from Futureworld?

@jitstark There are some great theories going around. Which is what I love about this show.
Like this one:
The character of William, played by Jimmi Simpson, is actually the Man in Black, and that his story is playing out in flashback while Harris’ story is the present day.

BOOM! Mind Blown!
So if that is the case, figuring out what is present day and what isn't starts to make my head hurt! haha
That would also mean that "the incident" that happened 30 years ago has yet to happen.

Again, its just a theory.

Your questions:
1. Both are possible. BUT he already did attack Hemsworth's character. which means one of two things, He COULD hurt humans... or Hemsworth's character is actually not human! He jokes about it... but what if its true!

2. I think he might be. If that fan theory above isn't correct, he could be The Man in Black maybe? I dunno... probably not.

Got bored of this after the 4th episode:(....in fact I think I'm still half way through it and can't be bothered to finish it. I was really looking forward to it:woot: but it's a no go for me.(n)

Got bored of this after the 4th episode:(....in fact I think I'm still half way through it and can't be bothered to finish it. I was really looking forward to it:woot: but it's a no go for me.(n)

...I don't think we are watching the same show. haha IT'S SO GOOD!
It gets better. Trust me. Tonight's season 1 penultimate episode was great. So many answers to theories of this show. I was in my glory!

Still watching...:watch: Think the show is amazing! :notworthy::)

• Thanks
...I don't think we are watching the same show. haha IT'S SO GOOD!
It gets better. Trust me. Tonight's season 1 penultimate episode was great. So many answers to theories of this show. I was in my glory!

Yeah, some questions answered and new ones opening up...I'm hooked :hungry:

• Thanks
Been trying to catch up with this over the past week and I have pretty mixed feelings about it so far... the first couple of episodes felt kind of slow as they were basically just going back and forth IMO, yet I still continued with it, which is unusual for me to do if I'm not completely sold on a TV show after the first few episodes. I think the reason I do keep going back for more though is because it always leaves us with questions which we desperately want answers for... Abrams did exactly the same with Lost, and it worked for me as it's now one of my all-time favourite shows!

I've just this minute finished watching episode 7, and not that I'm trying to sound like a smart ass or anything, but I kind of predicted the twist from the very beginning...

I always thought that most, if not all, of the workers/creators (except Ford) would probably turn out to be hosts, so Bernard being one wasn't too much of a surprise to me, but it was still pretty cool. :D

Now I'm off to watch episode 8, because I obviously need to know what happens next! :p

Wow episode 9 was.....:OMG: And right at the end, didn't see that coming...:whistle::censored:

Picture quality looks amazing on my 65" E6 OLED and Sky Q....:naughty::drool:

I would love if they released this as a 4K UHD blu ray box set....:notworthy: