What are you buying next for your Home Theater(s)?

Recently delved into the world of 4K with the HISENSE 65K5510, Still need to pick up a player though. 1080p content looks terrific!
showimage.php
While shopping TVs - that Hisense kept coming into the conversation. Supposed to be a great TV.
(An Australian AV site chose it over the LG C7 and the Sony Z9D:wow:)
Never heard of them before though!:LOL:

Absolutely no issues with it. Performing well.
What's the beef on the reviews?
i only read a couple but thught it was weird to have a 30% 1 star rating among the reviews ... and many people said the issues talked about were true. one talked about OSD something about complaining about not being able to see on screen display of volume .... not sure if it was when playing a 4k or just all. *shrug*

• Helpful Post
Reactions: C.C. 95
i only read a couple but thught it was weird to have a 30% 1 star rating among the reviews ... and many people said the issues talked about were true. one talked about OSD something about complaining about not being able to see on screen display of volume .... not sure if it was when playing a 4k or just all. *shrug*
O.k. - that one is true.
What it is, is- when you have the AVR set to BYPASS (instead of AUTO) for the VIDEO OUTPUT setting (so the AVR does no image processing) you lose the OSD/GUI - so you can't see the volume meter, etc.
This is very minor thing, unless you feel the need to tweak -when I have it set to BYPASS, I can HEAR the volume as I am turning it up or down - and when you have the SURROUND SOUND SETTINGS set to AUTO, it automatically chooses the correct format sent by the disc. (But if you need to tweak the sound - you can set VIDEO OUTPUT to AUTO and get your settings with the GUI/OSD on and then set the VIDEO back to BYPASS).
And probably only hardcore gearhead cinephiles (like myself) even know or think about bypassing the AVR AUTO Picture setting.
Is it slightly annoying? Sure. But it shaves quite a few bucks off ($200) of getting the AVR X3400H.
(Which, as far as I know - THIS is the ONLY difference between the two - as the 2400H has gained anything it lacked from the 3400 in firmware updates (like DTS VIRTUAL X)).
But, it certainly doesn't deserve scathing reviews just because of that!
(The only time it would really become an issue is if you felt the need to change surround formats, or push the dialog or sub settings, etc. while watching (and you can still see everything on AVR's front panel screen)).
A very slight issue that saves $200 bucks over 3400H.

Last edited:
OK need a new TV. Budget is where it is at so as much as I want a 55'' Q7 it ain't happening.

I'm stuck between 3 Samsung Models
55'' NU8000 (~$900)
65'' NU8000 (this would be a slight stretch) (~$1,400)
55'' Q6F (~$1,100)

The NU8000 is like the high end of their low end range whereas the Q6F is the low end of their high end range to the point where while the q6 is better it's only like marginally better. I'm also semi-reluctant to go with the 65'' NU8000 cause then it becomes a slippery slope of why not get the 55'' Q7 (~$1800) and just get a significantly better TV but then we're talking money here.

Thoughts? Prayers? Donations? :hilarious: @C.C. 95 @Wreck @AcIDc0r3

OK need a new TV. Budget is where it is at so as much as I want a 55'' Q7 it ain't happening.

55'' NU8000 (~$900)
55'' Q6F (~$1,100)

The NU8000 is like the high end of their low end range whereas the Q6F is the low end of their high end range to the point where while the q6 is better it's only like marginally better. I'm also semi-reluctant to go with the 65'' NU8000 cause then it becomes a slippery slope of why not get the 55'' Q7 (~$1800) and just get a significantly better TV but then we're talking money here.

Massdrop has the 2018 Q8FN for $1599 if you do not mind the wait

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/samsung-65-75-q8fn-qled-smart-4k-uhd-tv-2018

Reactions: mllNY and C.C. 95

55'' NU8000 (~$900)
55'' Q6F (~$1,100)

Do some looking at HDTV TEST
https://m.youtube.com/user/hdtvtest
And do some comparisons on RTINGS
https://www.rtings.com/tv

You might find a TCL that does better at a better price. (I am decidedly not a Samsung man anymore - But check all options and see who gets bang for your buck. Just make sure it is at least HDR (Samsung is backing HDR10+ so no Dolby Vision on theirs)
Best advice:
Make a checklist of features that are important.

Last edited:
Reactions: mllNY
@C.C. 95 I saw a rting youtube video where they compared. basically saying what i said q6 is marginally better but not significant but you could go with it if you want

55'' NU8000 (~$900)
55'' Q6F (~$1,100)

Me personally, I won't buy anything but LG. They are the leaders when it comes to display technology. Even my computer monitors are LG. I would go for something like this at Amazon.

Reactions: mllNY
Me personally, I won't buy anything but LG. They are the leaders when it comes to display technology. Even my computer monitors are LG. I would go for something like this at Amazon.
I'm a Sony guy. LG still has the obnoxious Auto Brightness Limiting (which can be turned off). However, they still have ASBL brightness limiting that CANNOT be turned off. Lived with an E7 for awhile- and that feature is just too obnoxious. (Dark movie scenes will dim even more if white subtitles come up). LG really needs to lose the ASBL.
(They even had a petition online- https://www.change.org/p/lg-electronics-lg-allow-oled-tv-owners-to-turn-off-dimming)

thanks @AcIDc0r3 I'm personally a samsung guy through and through. I have a samsung in my room going on 8 or 9 years and the picture quality is better than some other peoples newer screens!
I WAS a Samsung guy. (When Sony was out of the game for a decade).
Then....my 75" flatscreen started clouding after 2 years. Diagnosis: Nothing you can do. Samsung customer service: "This is normal".
Never again.

thanks @AcIDc0r3 I'm personally a samsung guy through and through. I have a samsung in my room going on 8 or 9 years and the picture quality is better than some other peoples newer screens!
@mllNY
I urge you to watch Vincent Theo's reviews over at HDTV TEST.
I believe he trashed the Q series. (I may be wrong about that... - but go have a look, cuz I'd rather you didn't buy a bad tv for your hard earned dough.)
https://m.youtube.com/user/hdtvtest/search?query=Samsung q

Last edited:
@mllNY
I urge you to watch Vincent Theo's reviews over at HDTV TEST.
I believe he trashed the Q series. (I may be wrong about that... - but go have a look, cuz I'd rather you didn't buy a bad tv for your hard earned dough.)
https://m.youtube.com/user/hdtvtest/search?query=Samsung q
I beg to differ, The LG Corporation is ahead of the game over everyone else, I know because I've seen the reports, the articles and the whitepaper and that's just what it is. Just google it and you'll see. I stand by LG 1001% and then some. You couldn't give me a free Samsung if you tried.

Although it's all personal preference really, just like Mike said, he prefers Samsung and they've done him good over the years and that's great I'm happy for him. Personally I had a Samsung at the beginning of the HDTV phase and it was crappy, I wound up getting an LG based on reports and articles that me and my father researched online and I bought an LG and it's done me well ever since and that was in 2009.

Next year during tax season I'm making the jump to 4k for a TV and Player preferably region free to continue to be able to play my standing Blu-rays. When that time comes I'll once again opt for an LG TV and hopefully there will still be some Oppo region free players still floating around. I love my Oppo that I have now and really want to get another knowing that they've ceased production.

Last edited:
I beg to differ, The LG Corporation is ahead of the game over everyone else, I know because I've seen the reports, the articles and the whitepaper and that's just what it is. Just google it and you'll see. I stand by LG 1001% and then some. You couldn't give me a free Samsung if you tried.

Although it's all personal preference really, just like Mike said, he prefers Samsung and they've done him good over the years and that's great I'm happy for him. Personally I had a Samsung at the beginning of the HDTV phase and it was crappy, I wound up getting an LG based on reports and articles that me and my father researched online and I bought an LG and it's done me well ever since and that was in 2009.

Next year during tax season I'm making the jump to 4k for a TV and Player preferably region free to continue to be able to play my standing Blu-rays. When that time comes I'll once again opt for an LG TV and hopefully there will still be some Oppo region free players still floating around. I love my Oppo that I have now and really want to get another knowing that they've ceased production.
The Q series is Samsung not LG.
While LG is ahead of everyone on OLED - they still have many drawbacks. (Their OLED's are still not bright enough at about 700 nits- and they still have their ABL and ASBL issue).I would buy a Sony A1 before an LG, since Sony has 75 years of picture technology behind them while using LG panels. (So its a win win. Sony tech with LG OLED panels).
I love oled - but it isn't quite there yet in my eyes. My Sony Z9D is brighter than three OLED panels cranked at max.
But I agree- I would not get Samsung again because of the issue I have e had with their tvs. (Of course YMMV- they have their fans)
Sony and LG are the only TVs I would consider. (And if price was an obstacle, maybe TCL).

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Lone Crusader
Looking to pick up the Panasonic UB820 as soon as it is available at Best Buy. Also looking for a new TV around the holiday season. I find the whole LED vs OLED discussion fascinating and confusing at the same time. I am leaning towards getting a Samsung QLED. The familiarity of the menu and customization is a big draw for me.

• Thanks
Reactions: Lone Crusader
Reactions: C.C. 95