What will become the next Holy Grail Steelbook

Bluprint

Shoeprint
Premium Supporter
Jun 7, 2012
Westside, ATL, GA
This can be impossible to predict but with small print runs and many major Steelbook giants like Play & HMV going down maybe you're holding the next Holy Grail right now. So which one of the recent Steelbooks do you predict being the next Holy Grail's?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 254
Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think there will be holy grails as there are no more real exclusives. There are world releases and many choose what they can afford / access. The holy grails as we know were mostly the only ones ever released. Others with worldwide releases have the most sought after releases but i dont think they will become grails

Reactions: Masterblaster
+1 IM Play has to be in the conversation. Smaller print run than IM FS but i also would say that about many of the true Play exclusives that didn't appear worldwide.

I do not think there will be holy grails as there are no more real exclusives. There are world releases and many choose what they can afford / access. The holy grails as we know were mostly the only ones ever released. Others with worldwide releases have the most sought after releases but i dont think they will become grails

I will agree with Frank - I personally don't think there be a next holy grail. No new release is guaranteed to be 'exclusive' and nearly all of them are worldwide releases.

It takes something very 'special' to become a 'grail' steelbook and to command a very high price. There will be steels that will gain some value over time. But to generate a huge price tag, and with all the mountains of re-releases and general releases, sadly I don't think there is going to be any.

In regards to some mentioned here, IMO they willl definately will not be grails. And yes I am being impartial because I own these and would love the value to rise!

- Terminator Korea: although very limited, it is a worldwide release steel and has no inside artwork. The slip is a J Card and not like the Taiwan slips which make it much more appealing in the likes of CA TW and T4 TW. The steel itself is less appealing to spend hundreds of pounds. Demand for this has dropped.

- Lawless: great steel, nice de-bossed bullet holes, the movie is not a hollywood block buster type movie to demand a big interest, regardless if it has nice de bossing or not. Many collectors who only buy movies only if they like the movie will pass on this so demand is less.

- Iron Man Play.com: This steel has a potential to rise slowly. With the original IM FS released and original grail, it is difficult to see owners letting go of the FS one to create more demand for Play.com one. Play steel has been hovering on bids for around £40 - £45 for a long time and the FS one has increased in value. The FS is believed to be around 8,000 made where the Play.com one is 4,000. As you can see the Play version has only half but it is still generally available on forums and on ebay. I'm not going into get into the full details of FS vs Play.com, I've explained that are the IM FS thread. If Play wants to become a grail, it has to topple the FS version and I don't think that is going to happen. There won't be two IM grails.

Last edited:
I personally don't think that IM play will never even be as expensive as IM Media Markt. When IM FS and MM were released, nobody had any idea that steelbooks will ever increase in value. They were all readily available for quite a while and were bought by regular folks to watch and enjoy the movie - thats why sealed copies are hard to find and expensive.

When IM play was released, only steelbook collectors and forum users even knew about it and bought multiple copies. I'm just guessing here, but I would assume that at least about 60% of all IM play copies worldwide are still sealed with at least some intention to be sold later on (even if collector's now say they would never sell it - eventually most of them probably will).

Conclusion: IM play will always be a nice looking steelbook, it will never fetch more than $100 though, because there is actually more supply than demand!

I will agree with Frank - I personally don't think there be a next holy grail. No new release is guaranteed to be 'exclusive' and nearly all of them are worldwide releases.

It takes something very 'special' to become a 'grail' steelbook and to command a very high price. There will be steels that will gain some value over time. But to generate a huge price tag, and with all the mountains of re-releases and general releases, sadly I don't think there is going to be any.

In regards to some mentioned here, IMO they willl definately will not be grails. And yes I am being impartial because I own these and would love the value to rise!

- Terminator Korea: although very limited, it is a worldwide release steel and has no inside artwork. The slip is a J Card and not like the Taiwan slips which make it much more appealing in the likes of CA TW and T4 TW. The steel itself is less appealing to spend hundreds of pounds. Demand for this has dropped.

- Lawless: great steel, nice de-bossed bullet holes, the movie is not a hollywood block buster type movie to demand a big interest, regardless if it has nice de bossing or not. Many collectors who only buy movies only if they like the movie will pass on this so demand is less.

- Iron Man Play.com: This steel has a potential to rise slowly. With the original IM FS released and original grail, it is difficult to see owners letting go of the FS one to create more demand for Play.com one. Play steel has been hovering on bids for around £40 - £45 for a long time and the FS one has increased in value. The FS is believed to be around 8,000 made where the Play.com one is 4,000. As you can see the Play version has only half but it is still generally available on forums and on ebay. I'm not going into get into the full details of FS vs Play.com, I've explained that are the IM FS thread. If Play wants to become a grail, it has to topple the FS version and I don't think that is going to happen. There won't be two IM grails.

Supply/Demand is what dictates these sort of things. When the demand surpasses the supply what results is a "grail" if you wanna call it that. This generally only happens when "actual collectors" start holding onto a particular steel with zero intention of selling it and then when one or two do pop up they command premium prices. And the cycle continues and you get steels like JR DE & IM CA.

To predict the above is next to impossible and if I was a betting man I wouldn't bet on any picks, lol.

Supply/Demand is what dictates these sort of things. When the demand surpasses the supply what results is a "grail" if you wanna call it that. This generally only happens when "actual collectors" start holding onto a particular steel with zero intention of selling it and then when one or two do pop up they command premium prices. And the cycle continues and you get steels like JR DE & IM CA.

To predict the above is next to impossible and if I was a betting man I wouldn't bet on any picks, lol.

Well put. Many get caught up in the valuation based on auctions in the past and hold out for those prices. In reality, the market and value may have moved either way but more likely on a down trend. Demand is usually highest around release. For the value to rise it takes time and exclusivity

Reactions: Jason Bourne
I personally don't think that IM play will never even be as expensive as IM Media Markt. When IM FS and MM were released, nobody had any idea that steelbooks will ever increase in value. They were all readily available for quite a while and were bought by regular folks to watch and enjoy the movie - thats why sealed copies are hard to find and expensive.

When IM play was released, only steelbook collectors and forum users even knew about it and bought multiple copies. I'm just guessing here, but I would assume that at least about 60% of all IM play copies worldwide are still sealed with at least some intention to be sold later on (even if collector's now say they would never sell it - eventually most of them probably will).

Conclusion: IM play will always be a nice looking steelbook, it will never fetch more than $100 though, because there is actually more supply than demand!

True just like years ago everyone had star wars toys etc opened them and played with them but you find mint stuff now worth a fortune.

They bring out the new toys now but they won't be worth much as the last generation IMO

I personally think the possibility of a next grail may well be Terminator 4 Iron Pack Future Shop.I had a long think about this a while ago and after seeing the recent bids and sales, I would say this is the one. It's a great steel, feels like metal quality, original artwork, and has the stickers as well. Well I enjoyed the movie, I know others didn't and probably expecting a lot more. But after all it's a Terminator franchise and very popular to many fans.

Price has been bumping for this and the last went for £220 on ebay on 'bids'. I have a feeling this is one of the dark horses.

Most important about this is it's:
- Popular movie
- Original artwork (you don't get many of this) and a FS exclusive
- Nice looking steel

This ticks the boxes for potential of a grail.

Reactions: zoneism
So many rare ones are from asia,and canada so from Europe, maybe the Metropolis Uk steelbook

My first thought for next holy grail would have been Farewell My Concubine but I don't think the movie is that popular really. Even now you could find the steelbook for a pretty good price.

Other than that steelbook I have no idea what could become next holy grail. Definitely not Iron Man play.com steelbook. It's pretty common and not hard to find at all. And it's pretty cheap actually.

This will be the Holy Grail for 2013

Especially that "OZ: The great and Powerful will be coming out!, The demand will rise up so high the cost of this steelbook will rise up as well

The Wizard of Oz Blu-Ray Steelbook Canada

91TwGZ5x6UL._AA1500_.jpg

Reactions: Maccadinho25