What will become the next Holy Grail Steelbook

Bluprint

Shoeprint
Premium Supporter
Jun 7, 2012
Westside, ATL, GA
This can be impossible to predict but with small print runs and many major Steelbook giants like Play & HMV going down maybe you're holding the next Holy Grail right now. So which one of the recent Steelbooks do you predict being the next Holy Grail's?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 259
Last edited by a moderator:
Problem with grails is sometimes even those that are VERY limited lose popularity and then are no longer grails.

There are many super limited steels that may be HOT at some point, but later can be picked up much cheaper down the road. It's really the true popular titles that can even stay in grail chatter.

For instance, many consider Iron Man FutureShop a grail ... funny enough it was a run even bigger than 4k. So why is it a grail? There is many releases now days 2k etc that are much smaller in qty. So a lot has to do with it being a popular title, but I also think that there are many steels from 2008/2009 etc that are grails that people dont quite realize. Those steels are such because back then no one knew steels would blow up and be so popular. So esp with "sealed" steels as many of those titles didnt stay sealed!

I also think some of the old Blue Banner steels should get more respect as we need to respect the steels of yester years to keep the hobby in tact. Otherwise everyone just keeps begging for re-releases of everything. ;p

Problem with grails is sometimes even those that are VERY limited lose popularity and then are no longer grails.

There are many super limited steels that may be HOT at some point, but later can be picked up much cheaper down the road. It's really the true popular titles that can even stay in grail chatter.

For instance, many consider Iron Man FutureShop a grail ... funny enough it was a run even bigger than 4k. So why is it a grail? There is many releases now days 2k etc that are much smaller in qty. So a lot has to do with it being a popular title, but I also think that there are many steels from 2008/2009 etc that are grails that people dont quite realize. Those steels are such because back then no one knew steels would blow up and be so popular. So esp with "sealed" steels as many of those titles didnt stay sealed!

I also think some of the old Blue Banner steels should get more respect as we need to respect the steels of yester years to keep the hobby in tact. Otherwise everyone just keeps begging for re-releases of everything. ;p

Well said! LONG LIVE the Blue Banner!!!

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Huh? :drool:

Frozen doesn't have what it takes to reach Grail Status. :D

In my opinion, the makings of a grail include most or all of the following factors:
1.) Popularity
2.) Reputation (doesn't always play a factor, but sometimes can make a HUGE difference. Eg- Disney/Marvel/etc.)
3.) Availability
4.) Cover Art - Glossy/Debossing/Embossing/WEA
5.) Value - to what extent are people willing to trade/pay for it and how quickly that price rises. Also, if that price continues to rise (never plateaus or falls)

Now, with Frozen (which holds MOST of these factors), I personally do NOT believe that ANY of the versions released so far should (or will) reach "Grail Status". In my personal opinion, I think a True Grail should HAVE to have WEA. Or at least have WEA until a later re-release (eg- Le Grand Bleu JP). NONE of the current versions of Frozen have this. But they DO HAVE EVERYTHING else I've stated. Popularity? CHECK. Reputation (eg- Disney movie)? CHECK. Availability (eg- limited print run)? CHECK. Value? Even the "basic" UK version was selling for double retail cost right out of the gate. And I know I don't need to mention what the Kimchi Exclusives did/are still doing. The retail cost AT LEAST doubled for EVERY edition that was released on day one. SO CHECK, CHECK AND...CHECK!

With all of that being said, do I want Frozen to be the next Holy Grail of steelbooks? Absolutely not. No version that's been released yet is deserving. BUT....With ALL of those factors in mind, there is a version that's yet to be released. That's the Blufans WEA version. Oh yeah, and one of them comes with a double-sided lenti, which by the way, has NEVER been done before. So do I think that version will reach "Grail status"? I don't know. But with what the title in its entirety (EVERY VERSION) has done so far, the road has DEFINITELY been paved. It's a Blufans Exclusive (which let's face it, NEVER hurts ANY release's chances at a Grail), is a limited print run, has WORLDWIDE EXCLUSIVE ARTWORK, and oh yeah, comes in WORLDWIDE EXCLUSIVE PACKAGING.

As I stated previously in this thread, I think the "Day of the Grail" has long passed, but if one of the newer releases ever did have the potential, it would be the Blufans Frozen Ultimate Edition. That release, my fellow ninja, does indeed have "what it takes"...and then some!!!

Last edited:
Only if its green. Otherwise, I think it will be a flop. No one wants yet another red IM.

No offence but you're probably one of maybe 10 people that see it that way.
And when did several thousand people become on one? :hilarious: