What's The Difference Between SteelBook, IronPack & MetalPak/Futurepak?

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
As many people have come across this craze of a hobby collecting blu-ray steelbooks they have also noticed the talk of "Star Metal Paks" and "Iron Packs". Ultimately, all are made of a metal and some are made and packaged better than others.

SteelBook is by popularity the most saught after, best packaged, and best made.

Iron Pack (in my humble opinion) seems to be close but still a bit behind in the quality department.

Star Metal Paks are fine on the outside but the hinges and cut spine for the hinges are just attrocious and cheapy made. (IMO)

Never the less, they are all still better than a cheap amaray (regular blu-ray case) and if you are a collector of movies and your favorite movie gets a metal version of any kind (like the tins, Band of Brothers) then you will probably rush after it! :)

Below is a picture of the differences, but ultimately the choice is up to you as far as what you like and will buy. Canadians and Germans are starting to get Iron Packs so it may be more feasible for you to make your own judgement in person but ofcourse we are strong supporters of the SteelBook brand.

attachment.php

Pics taken from http://bluraysteelbooks.com/steelbook-resources/

Attachments

• spinedifferencs.jpg
    spinedifferencs.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 7,562
Last edited:
Think of steelbooks like Lego. It comes from Denmark so it's the most superior.

Metal Pak's, Iron packs, Viva metal boxes and so forth are all just inferior imitations from some foreign land.

Just bought Kill Bill 2 off ebay which was advertised as a steelbook, but when i got it, it was a metalpak, it was a dutch version. I prefer the look of steelbooks.

I like the Steelbooks the most, easy to put custom artwork inside if thats your thing. Also cover art printed directly onto Steelbook just looks and feels better than IP or metal

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a viva metal box and a metal pak? Thanks in advance for your help.

Biggest difference is the spine. You'll note that the Viva Metal Box has a spine like a steelbook in that opens up like a book. However, it has plastic at the top and the bottom - the spine is not entirely made of metal.

In a metalpak, while the spine is metal, there are two plastic clasps on the inside, that act as a hinge to allow the case to open.

Those are the biggest differences, IMO, and what people notice first.

Reactions: confessor94
Hi guys, I saw at Viva website and found that their Metal Box release have option for being "lenticular label for 3D effect for 3D blu-ray release", until now I never see that kind of art cover on viva metal box.. I presume it will look stunning if they release the lenticular 3D cover :scat:

btw here's the link http://www.viva-metalbox.com/mb2.htm

Hi guys, I saw at Viva website and found that their Metal Box release have option for being "lenticular label for 3D effect for 3D blu-ray release", until now I never see that kind of art cover on viva metal box.. I presume it will look stunning if they release the lenticular 3D cover :scat:

btw here's the link http://www.viva-metalbox.com/mb2.htm

When did they come out with the slim metal box (12.5mm)? Has anything been released in this yet?

When did they come out with the slim metal box (12.5mm)? Has anything been released in this yet?

As far I know, they haven't release it (on movies metal box, I don't know if there another release beside movies) as well.. I think Viva will surprise us someday, their release get better and better now :scat:

I have a problem !!

Can any one tell me that Star Metal Packs are 100% qullity ? compared to a steelbook ?? or even an Iron pack or ViVa ??

Or I am just the only person who knows for a 100% fact that Metal packs are crap !! not up to scratch , in generall ??

from the 25 or so that have been through my hands ~ especially the NL versions , they have come with paint flecks , paint missing , that kind of thing ?? Generally not good Quallity at all ??

I realy would appreciate some input guys , as I think I am going mad ??

thanks TC

Ahh especially the NL ones,i dont have any NL packs...

the ones i have are from china or Australia and i have never seen any of the problems you described on metalpcks of these countries^^

I have a problem !!

Can any one tell me that Star Metal Packs are 100% qullity ? compared to a steelbook ?? or even an Iron pack or ViVa ??

Or I am just the only person who knows for a 100% fact that Metal packs are crap !! not up to scratch , in generall ??

from the 25 or so that have been through my hands ~ especially the NL versions , they have come with paint flecks , paint missing , that kind of thing ?? Generally not good Quallity at all ??

thanks TC
Yep I have found the same thing, Metal Packs are definatly at the bottom as far as quality goes. I don't think I have ever seen a 100% mint one, there's always some paint chips or scratches somewhere. The finish on them is usually not great also, a lot of the blue banners have variations in colour and things like that. It's definatly my least favourite metal packaging.

Reactions: Top_cat2
I knew I was not crazy :ohno:

thanks Sigill , these NL M/P's are just not up to scratch & I think that members need to be educated to this fact , as I have a pending trade , but I am gonna cancell it because I just had problems with a metal pack trade , so not EEK! taking any more risks :ohno:

I will take themn off my thread now & put on Ebay & sell "as is " & thats it :)

cheerz TC

Reactions: Sigill
I have a problem !!

thanks TC

Yes, this is VERY common with MetalPaks, don't worry, you're not going crazy :p. But that is the main reason why 99% of the members here prefer Steelbooks instead. Even Viva Metal Boxes (VMB) are of MUCH better quality than MetalPaks. I do own a few though...as some are rare. (The Notebook, Se7en)