What's The Difference Between SteelBook, IronPack & MetalPak/Futurepak?

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
As many people have come across this craze of a hobby collecting blu-ray steelbooks they have also noticed the talk of "Star Metal Paks" and "Iron Packs". Ultimately, all are made of a metal and some are made and packaged better than others.

SteelBook is by popularity the most saught after, best packaged, and best made.

Iron Pack (in my humble opinion) seems to be close but still a bit behind in the quality department.

Star Metal Paks are fine on the outside but the hinges and cut spine for the hinges are just attrocious and cheapy made. (IMO)

Never the less, they are all still better than a cheap amaray (regular blu-ray case) and if you are a collector of movies and your favorite movie gets a metal version of any kind (like the tins, Band of Brothers) then you will probably rush after it! :)

Below is a picture of the differences, but ultimately the choice is up to you as far as what you like and will buy. Canadians and Germans are starting to get Iron Packs so it may be more feasible for you to make your own judgement in person but ofcourse we are strong supporters of the SteelBook brand.

attachment.php

Pics taken from http://bluraysteelbooks.com/steelbook-resources/

Attachments

• spinedifferencs.jpg
    spinedifferencs.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 7,603
Last edited:
Yes, this is VERY common with MetalPaks, don't worry, you're not going crazy :p. But that is the main reason why 99% of the members here prefer Steelbooks instead. Even Viva Metal Boxes (VMB) are of MUCH better quality than MetalPaks. I do own a few though...as some are rare. (The Notebook, Se7en)

OMG , thank you so much for your input !!

These members on here are driving me up the WALL !! with thier slanderous comments about " Metal Packs " are 100% OCD :hilarious: Wat a load of Hotch Potch !!

I just turned down 2 trades for The NoteBook & Perfume ~ I just caunt handle the back lash in 2 weeks time when they start crying at me ?? WETF is this BS !! you sent me ?? , you took the price sticker off it :hilarious: The card board Slip has an dent in it !!!!! FFS !! what the Fark is wrong witgh these feckersv !!@!!

I am putting a Ban on any M/P's from now on !! and I got a dogdy eye , aswel.. arh not interested in thier BS stories any more ~ thanks so much guys ..

regs & many , many thansk TC ~ M/P destroyer !!!!

Well I don't own any metal paks because I got rid of them all. Main reason is because they are ugly looking and the spine looks like it is split in two. I only stick to SB/IP/VMB.

Reactions: dfoles
Well I don't own any metal paks because I got rid of them all. Main reason is because they are ugly looking and the spine looks like it is split in two. I only stick to SB/IP/VMB.

But what about Volt (fr) & Perfume (NL) ~ these are like Rocky Horse Poo

mate, even most of my I/P's look like crap !! Terminator Sal (ca) is like my 5th copy & its still a bit crooked on the spine !!, and I just am over all these untidy M/p's now :0 Steelz & ViVa's that all now :thumbs:

But what about Volt (fr) & Perfume (NL) ~ these are like Rocky Horse Poo

mate, even most of my I/P's look like crap !! Terminator Sal (ca) is like my 5th copy & its still a bit crooked on the spine !!, and I just am over all these untidy M/p's now :0 Steelz & ViVa's that all now :thumbs:

I don't know about them as I have no interest in metal paks :hilarious:

Iron Packs are fine :) Plus they are getting rarer all the time as no more are being made.

Does anyone knows why Irons Packs are no more being made? :) I mean, the reason why it happened? Same as VMB?

And does anyone knows what was the last Iron Pack being release? And the first Viva Metal box?

Sorry for all the question, out of curiosity. :emb::emb:

I guess i'm a bit late on collecting hobby. :naughty:

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone knows why Irons Packs are no more being made? :) I mean, the reason why it happened? Same as VMB?

And does anyone knows what was the last Iron Pack being release? And the first Viva Metal box?

Sorry for all the question, out of curiosity. :emb::emb:

I guess i'm a bit late on collecting hobby. :naughty:

Thanks in advance.

I believe that they had to stop making Iron Packs and Viva cases because of copyright issues. They were too similair to Steelbooks. I know the last Viva case produced was Elite Squad. Not sure with the Iron packs though.

Last edited:
Hate to bump an old thread, but this might be useful for the main post to show of VMBs:
Iron Pak - Beauty and the Beast
Steelbook - Pinnochio
Viva Metal Box - Finding Nemo

picture.php

So Futurepak is the new MetalPak? Are there differences? I noticed that steel cases which I considered to be MetalPaks have thinner spines now. Is that when they became Futurepaks? :confused:

Could someone post what the inside of an Iron Pack looks like, I have never had one.

*EDIT found one

IMG_0222.jpg

Whatever happened to these because they look awesome? Did they get sued by Scanavo like VMBs did?

Last edited:
So Futurepak is the new MetalPak? Are there differences? I noticed that steel cases which I considered to be MetalPaks have thinner spines now. Is that when they became Futurepaks? :confused:
Spines are different. Metalpak has a two piece spine, the new futurepaks look similar to a steelbook with a one spine but it's only three quarters (length wise) of a spine when compared to the full spine of a Steelbook.
I'm going off what I've seen

Last edited:
That's what corporations do and we lose. They don't like competition. :dunno:
I am 100% fine with corporations making money and unadulterated capitalism. The Cornering of a market, however, is anti-business, unhealthy for an economy, and illegal (if found to be monopolization).
Of course there are legal ways to skirt things. I am not a lawyer- but I have no idea how Scanovo can claim
Futurepaks (for example) are infringing on their copyright. One has (literally) hinges, and a steelbook does not.
But, Viva Magnetics lost their case against Scanovo- and I have no idea why.
Does one company own the right to make amray cases and no one else?
There is plenty of business to go around, and it just appears that Scanovo are swinging their d**ks to keep people out of their sandbox at the same time they seemingly can't keep up with their own orders and quality control!!
We have already seen multiple screwed up orders for major Steelbook retailers requiring a 'do over' from Scanovo.
Whose fault it really was isn't totally clear...But the moment those mistakes are attempted to be passed on (financially) to the consumer- they will get a rude awakening. This hasn't happened (thank goodness), but it isn't hard to envision it happening.
I think Scanovo are probably taking a bath on a few titles this year because of their mistakes. But I can't see Blufans, HDzeta, et. al, taking the blame for this over and over(if it isn't their fault). (We don't really know what these setbacks cost them financially). So far we, the consumers, have only been hit with delays. Let's hope that is the extent of our inconvenience. (For now and the near future...).

I am 100% fine with corporations making money and unadulterated capitalism. The Cornering of a market, however, is anti-business, unhealthy for an economy, and illegal (if found to be monopolization).
Of course there are legal ways to skirt things. I am not a lawyer- but I have no idea how Scanovo can claim
Futurepaks (for example) are infringing on their copyright. One has (literally) hinges, and a steelbook does not.
But, Viva Magnetics lost their case against Scanovo- and I have no idea why.
Does one company own the right to make amray cases and no one else?

The short version is Scanavo has a patent. And a patent is legal monopolization. At least until the patent expires.

The short version is Scanavo has a patent. And a patent is legal monopolization. At least until the patent expires.
Except, what is the patent for exactly? When the first soda came out in a can, could no other soda company put their soda in a can? I 'get' that they have a patent, but a Metalpak is different.
It has hinges. It is not the same design.
I think an over zealous judge ruled too broadly. Is there only ONE company that makes amray cases? Did Boxes Inc. patent the box, and only they can manufacture boxes?