What's your fave 'Sci-Fi/Fantasy' books?

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Discussion for fans of the genre.

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 147
Well can we take Tolkein off the Table. Elaine Cunningham has a good trilogy. Geroge RR Martin is obviously big right now. Rowling of course with HP. But my favorite is Bob Salvatore from his D&D books and his Demonwars Saga books

the first few 'dune' novels are amongst my favorites. snowcrash, neuromancer, brave new world...etc...but i imagine those are in many people's lists.

The Horus Heresy series based on the Warhammer 40k Universe is pretty damn good sci fi, as far as i know 29 novels published and still going strong. If you haven't read any of them and are into sci fi they're worth a read in my opinion.

Always been a fan of the and my favorites go back to my childhood...

Robert Jordan- Wheel of Time series (it had its up and downs, but I invested years following the series and have read it so many times)

Brandon Sanderson- love his Stormlight Archive series after being introduced to his writing when he picked up WoT.

The only Sci-Fi books i own are the ones from Star Wars "Republic Commando" and "order 66".
I love the stories about the clones, very well written! :)

My favourite fantasy book is: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.
It's a 19th century period fantasy novel with a richly described world and some of the better character arcs ive ever read in a book.
I really love it, and read it every couple of years (it is quite long)

Biggest impact on me in Sci-Fi/Fantasy books were:

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy 5 book Trilogy! (And the original Radio Show that started it all)
Some of the greatest, wittiest writing ever...while still being a great adventure!
image.jpg

The Stainless Steel Rat Series (12 books). I LOVED this series!
It has flirted with the big screen, but thankfully has not yet been made (incorrectly).
A young James Bond-ian Black Hat turned White Hat hero in space. Hilarious and inventive.
image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg
Jan De Bont (Speed, Twister) bought the rights in 2001, and came close to making it. I read the treatment, and it was typical Hollywood- They used the name, but changed just about everything else. Thank god it got scrapped.

Rendezvous With Rama Series
Of all the Arthur C. Clark books, why these? I dunno. They just fired my imagination.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: