Whiplash (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Apr 1, 2013
London
Release: June 1st, 2015
Purchase: Whiplash
Price: £20.99
Notes: Gloss with debossed title
Artwork as selected by Damien Chazelle from the Empire Online competition.

FRONT.JPG

BACK.JPG
steel1.jpg
steel2.jpg
steel3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That could be a mess and complicated with legal problems if they are changing who won the competition
Empire posted 2 messages

The Winning design was by Simcarpe

whiplash-mock-up_zpsi2dft89j.jpg

Empire posted these 2 messages

First message

Hey Simcarpe, can you please check your inbox and get back to us as soon as you can

Second Message
Can anyone do me a favour? I'm trying to get a hold of BottleRocket and he's not getting back to my emails. If you know him, or are him, can you please email me, or DM me, or tweet or, or just get in touch? I'd be mighty grateful.

BottleRocket Design was this

steelbook_3D_zpsa4cc2636.jpg

display-net_zpscaabcfed.jpg

empire-frontcopy_zps6dcee527.jpg

Do any of you know who BottleRocket is if you do tell him Empire has posted a request for him/her to contact them
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3734625&mpage=3&key=

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightcrawler
Hate to think I'd won only for someone to change their mind.....I personally can't stand the chosen artwork but I think the moral of the story is 'Don't let one person's opinion dictate what should be on the cover...even if that one person is the director, it's a mass produced product so if your going to have a vote then the masses should decide IMO....

Hate to think I'd won only for someone to change their mind.....I personally can't stand the chosen artwork but I think the moral of the story is 'Don't let one person's opinion dictate what should be on the cover...even if that one person is the director, it's a mass produced product so if your going to have a vote then the masses should decide IMO....
Nail and Head!

Well said.

Reactions: SteelbookGenius666
The idea behind the director choosing is part of the prize - knowing your artwork is going to be seen by the people that made the film and selected is a big deal. The only problem here is that the director's choice wasn't in line with what the majority wanted. Had he chosen Bottlerocket's the first time round, we'd all think it was a marvellous idea to let him decide.

Reactions: SteelbookGenius666
On one hand, it'd be pretty shady for them to go and change the winner when the director chose the artwork. On the other hand, I hope they change it to that cymbal artwork, cause that one was just slick and classy. It kinda sounds like they're in in a lose-lose situation. But, if they do end up changing it, they'll surely end up getting a lot more orders.

Reactions: Actarus
I highly doubt they'd change the winner of the competition. I wonder if there's a plan to use BottleRocket's design on a slipcase or something like that.

Reactions: lolwut
The idea behind the director choosing is part of the prize - knowing your artwork is going to be seen by the people that made the film and selected is a big deal. The only problem here is that the director's choice wasn't in line with what the majority wanted. Had he chosen Bottlerocket's the first time round, we'd all think it was a marvellous idea to let him decide.
I hear what you are saying, from a marketing idea it's genius, but it's still not the cleverest of idea's asking someone to pick their favorite design to go on a few thousand Steelbook's and ask £20+ a pop, this is just my opinion but personally I'd have picked 3 or 5 to go through to a final, the winner would then have been chosen by vote by the consumer's/collector's...Just my opinion.

I hear what you are saying, from a marketing idea it's genius, but it's still not the cleverest of idea's asking someone to pick their favorite design to go on a few thousand Steelbook's and ask £20+ a pop, this is just my opinion but personally I'd have picked 3 or 5 to go through to a final, the winner would then have been chosen by vote by the consumer's/collector's...Just my opinion.
Much better idea. ;)

Plain Archive reached out to Empire, they want the Artwork from BottleRocket for their exclusive release :naughty::naughty::naughty: #GoldPASticker

Naw seriously, I hate the winners artwork but its not fair at all to change it. I can't see this happening and I hope not. Maybe they go for a Slip, would happy with that :rolleyes:

Reactions: harry

Yep, I'd go for that idea!