Why do you think steelbooks get released in other countries?

Jun 6, 2012
Why do you think steelbooks get released more in other countries?

We have all seen it a new steel comes out and its released everywhere but in the US. It seems like the UK and Germany get a lot, even Canada. Why not the US do you think?

Are steels just not as popular here? If so why not? It just seems odd that all these great steels get released and we all have to basically bend over backwards to get a hold of them, sometimes pay exorbitant shipping charges, get hit with unfavorable exchange rates, wait for weeks to get it etc etc. I assume that we would all be happier if we could just got the to local store or jump online and buy them.

I also can see though the chase being part of it too. Maybe the camaraderie of it all. I mean really without all the GBs would this site be as active? I'm not sure. They bring people together and then they start to talk and so on and so on...

It would still be nice to run down the to local BB and get a new release though. I know we are getting more here now, but we still seem to be way behind everyone else.....

Last edited:
Im sure its about demand too, but I guess what makes me curious is why is that demand not there. We as a country love our tech, love new things and love collecting stuff. Is it because the vast majority of people cant be convinced to spend the extra money on something special? Maybe, I know when I was selling computers if I had a dollar for a very time I heard "just give me the cheapest one you got" I wouldn't need to work any more. Do steelbooks just not have enough perceived value?

I just wonder why a place like Germany or the UK is willing to spend the extra on them but we arent.

What is also curious is that, according to the article, they have a factory here in the States so they must feel that the demand is there. It just doesn't seem to be translating out to the market for whatever reason. I wonder if that factory does Canada too, Id have to assume it does....

I work in a Leclerc "Espace Culturel" and when there are steelbooks released in France it's always exclusive to Auchan, Carrefour, Fnac or Amazon but never Leclerc...
Even for french people it's quite hard to get them in a shop...

I'm not sure. I mean I don't even need a shop but online even. I mean the other Amazons seem to get a lot, the US one? Not so much.

UK play.com is just cranking them out. Futureshop in Canada has always gotten them. Germany gets a ton, but that article was specific about then being most popular in Germany.

I'm in Australia, and we rarely get any steelbooks, except for when JB Hi-Fi is feeling generous. and it has been getting better :)

I'm from Australia too, just started getting interested in SB less than a month. It's ashame that there're not many SB available for us locally. I have to rely on the imports then..