1. Hello Guest, this site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. To read more about how we use them, please visit this page
    Dismiss Notice

Wonder Woman (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Manta Lab Exclusive No. 11) [Hong Kong]

Discussion in 'Blu-ray SteelBook' started by martinouchou, Jun 2, 2017.

1. martinouchou

Contributor Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,048
    Release date: November 24th, 2017 (Pre-order 8PM, October 20th, 2017 - HKT, GMT+8)
    Purchase link: Full Slip - Lenticular Slip - Double Lenticular Slip - One Click
    Price: Full Slip $48.99 - Lenticular Slip $48.99 - Double Lenticular Slip $49.99 - One Click $149.97
    Notes: Print Run (2000 units for both Domestic and International)

IMG_0620.jpg IMG_0621.jpg IMG_0622.jpg IMG_0623.jpg
    . Pre-order Date: 8PM, October 20th, 2017 (HKT, GMT+8)
    2. Release Date: November 24th, 2017
    3. Print Run (2000 units for both Domestic and International)
    (Limited to 2 Copies per Customer for each edition)
    *Full Slip(2D+3D)($48.99): 300 Units
    *Lenticular Full Slip(2D+3D)($48.99): 300 Units
    *Lenticular Full Slip (2D+4KUHD)($49.99) : 200 Units
    *One Click ($149.97): 400 Sets (Includes all editions, Matching Numbers)
    4. Goodies
    - Full sized Booklet with Digibook contents, Character Cards, Post Cards, Exclusive Numbering Sticker, Exclusive Release Sticker, Exclusive Lenticular Sticker, Envelope, Specification Tip-on
    5. Effects
    - Full Slip: High Quality Full Slip + Spot Glossy + Spot Matte + Spot Holofoil + Embossing
    - Lenticular Full Slip: Super Clear 3D Lenticular + Spot Matte +Spot Glossy + Spot Holofoil + Embossing
    - Double Lenticular Full Slip: Super Clear 3D Lenticular x 2 + Spot Glossy + Spot Matte + Embossing
    - One Click Box: Built with MDF for better appearance and durability + Spot Matte + Spot Glossy + Embossing
    18882226_1408654149244689_6771903603877436364_n.jpg

#1 martinouchou, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018 at 1:32 AM
    • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 19
    • Thanks Thanks x 11
    • Helpful Post Helpful Post x 2
  2. OMRA1080

Ratings:
    +128
    Thank you
    Who is your winner and why?

3. tommyh84

Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,924
    HDZeta's wipes the floor with Manta's

Manta's in its own right isn't a bad release however if you're comparing it it comes off a poor second

Bearing in mind I'm talking about the whole package though not just certain elements as if you really scrutinised both I'm sure there are bits of Manta's that might be better (the odd art card for example lol)

#1162 tommyh84, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  4. gaeljet

Ratings:
    +1,436
    Someones knows if the replacement steels have been shipped?

5. Actarus

Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,327
    Wonder Woman HDzeta Boxset is definitely The Best Well Put Together Package of the year (alongside with Blufans Doctor Strange Boxset)
    No other words than Absolutely Top Notch Stunning, each edition within the HDzeta Boxset complement each other very well :drool:

NB: WW Manta is not a bad release(not taking into account the steelbook mess), but it does pale in comparison to the HDzeta one.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  6. StifflersDad

Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,495
    Isn't it better opening now to check for QC issues and getting replacements if needed rather than opening months down the line when replacements may no longer be available.

7. timm

Ratings:
    +19
    Looks like you need to practice what you preach.

8. misformatt

Ratings:
    +1,827
    Had a few minutes to directly compare the two single lentis (as requested) that share the same/similar art. They're both truly solid efforts, and I probably wouldn't be able to fault either without having the two directly side by side to compare, but luckily I do!

Here's a shot of 'em bumping spines ('zeta on the left, Manta on the right in all shots):
    1.jpg
    Both have great depth and color. Manta's is a bit brighter and sharper, but at the expense of looking a bit rougher/pixelated around the edges. HDzeta's color palette is a bit more subdued, but looks very natural. It avoids the pixelated effect by smoothing the edges a bit. This makes it a touch less crisp than Manta's, so it really boils down to personal preference in that regard.

As for depth, it's a bit of a tossup again. HDzeta's lenti extends backwards a bit more effortlessly (particularly the space between Hippolyta and Antiope), whereas Manta's pops outward a touch better. Manta's treatment of the title gives it a better sense of pop and extension toward the viewer, which makes it slightly more impressive to my eyes.

2.jpg
    As for the back art, I do like the image 'zeta chose, but the flat and matte treatment leaves a lot of room for improvement. Manta's rear artwork is embossed and spot-glossed with a hint of holofoil. I'm generally not the biggest fan of holofoil, but it has been rather tastefully (and conservatively) applied here.

Overall, I slightly prefer the Manta release. The lenticular effect could go either way depending on personal preference ('zeta's being more natural/organic, and Manta's popping a bit more in palette and effect), but the rear treatment really sways me into the Manta camp for the single lenti edition.

I'll try to find some time to bang up some comparisons between the other 'zeta and Manta editions in the next few days, but you really couldn't go wrong with any of the slips or steels. Both companies have put in some great work with these releases. Happy to have snagged them both! :cigar::thumbs:

Bonus: the steelbooks!
    3.jpg 4.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    • Helpful Post Helpful Post x 4
    • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
  9. Stygian

Ratings:
    +826
    Your post is a reply to post #1159 by @tommyh84.

10. Sigill

Sigill Lead Steelbook Mod
    Super Moderator Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +17,681
    Thanks for the comparison shots @misformatt! Which is your favourite Steelbook?

11. Bluesky

Ratings:
    +82
    WW Manta steelbook looks weak. The front, she looks like an arabian wife ( the face ) and the colour blue looks somewhat old blue ( sky ).
    The back, she is trying to look like a bull while running. Lol.

WW HDzeta steelbook looks very great. The front, she looks a true amazonian. The back, she sat and hit the sword on the ground, while the background shows the sun is rising. Wonderful.

12. nafosb

Ratings:
    +1,905
    Well, I guess it's how each person looks at it. For me, her HDzeta front cover pose makes her look a little too much like a castrating b*tch. On the back she is taking a knee like those silly NFL players.(n):pFor me the Manta is the winner.:thumbs:

#1171 nafosb, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  13. misformatt

Ratings:
    +1,827
    No problem! They're both quality steelbooks. I love the rich blue and gold hues that are so prominent on the cover of Manta's steel, but I prefer the art on 'zeta's steel overall. Ultimately, I'd choose Manta's due to the nicely embossed title and WW emblem (despite the somewhat awkwardly placed DC logo):
    IMG_6097.jpg IMG_6095.jpg

Manta's steel also benefits from a bit of metallic sheen on Wonder Woman's bangles and the silver lining of her whip. It's subtle, but a really sharp effect in hand. Hard to catch in poor light, but here's a pic:
    IMG_6099.jpg

The HDzeta steelbook is very elegant (especially the back artwork), but it could've benefited from a bit of extra love (metallic sheen on sword and bangles, debossed title, etc.), but many of those added "features" are subjective, so that's really just my personal preference coming into play. :whistle:

I think my ideal combination would be to swap the front and back covers of the two steelbooks, but maybe that's just me:
    IMG_6101.jpg IMG_6103.jpg
    :LOL:

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  14. gaeljet

Ratings:
    +1,436
    Same for me :)

15. MM3

MM3

Ratings:
    +61
    I haven't opened my Logan, Alien Covenant or Wonder Woman steelbooks yet. I was planning on doing so eventually, but have considered just selling them because I'm scared to look and don't want to deal with quality control issues. I'm officially done with Manta. I won't buy their products ever again. It's not worth the stress. Maybe I'm being dramatic as I haven't opened anything yet, but too many of you have pointed out the problems with their products, so that's enough for me.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  16. Covcraig

Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,758
    What's stressful about waiting for a mint steelbook or slip replacement.. Which you ALWAYS get provided you open these in a reasonable amount of time generally with no questions asked.

It's not like what's in or around the discs prevents you from enjoying the movie whilst you wait for a replacement if the packaging is damaged.

Yes their quality control can be better but at least they have a buffer for this kind of situation. Other companies like Novamedia will likely offer you a 2 dollar discount off your next order, I know which I'd prefer

17. Stygian

Ratings:
    +826
    This is a question for everybody:

What, if anything, generally happens when somebody decides not to open items like those mentioned above, or even One Clicks and decides to sell them on and it turns out that they were indeed all scratched up?

For example if somebody sold something in a Sell thread on HDN?
    Or if it was sold on ebay?

18. Hereticz

Ratings:
    +2,903
    Finally got hands on single and double lenti and surprisingly I must say both are pretty good. I expected worse after some comments here, but both lenticulars are nice and clear with great depth. I definitely wouldn´t call it "poor" lenti.

19. StifflersDad

Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,495
    If you buy something sealed on the secondary market and it turns out to be damaged upon opening it then the buyer is fu***d.
    That's why I would rather buy open copies on eBay or in trade threads here.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Covcraig

Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,758
    Not necessarily, if something is damaged on eBay whether purchased sealed or not.. Unless it's been disclosed in the listing then eBay will side with the buyer for a refund. Ebay side with buyers most of the time actually.

I sold my Man of Steel manta full slip earlier this year, it was open and mint. The guy received it.. Left positive feedback saying he was happy then messaged to say that it "arrived dented" despite leaving feedback saying he was happy with the item. Long story short eBay sided with him.. I claimed from Royal Mail for the cost and sold the damaged one on for virtually what the mint condition one sold for so was quids in but ebay don't care.

Long story short, a defective item is a defective item and eBay will uphold a case on this basis unless the defect is declared.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  21. StifflersDad

Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,495
    From your story it sounds like it DID arrive damaged.