Aug 16, 2010
NJ
Release date: March 23, 2010
Purchase links:
Amazon.com
Criterion.com
Price: 44,80$ / 31,96$

52-53_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Thanks to perhaps the most indelible character in Akira Kurosawa’s oeuvre,Yojimbo surpassed even Seven Samurai in popularity when it was released. The masterless samurai Sanjuro, who slyly manipulates two warring clans to his own advantage in a small, dusty village, was so entertainingly embodied by the brilliant Toshiro Mifune that it was only a matter of time before he returned in a sequel. Made just one year later, Sanjuro matches Yojimbo’s storytelling dexterity yet adds layers of world-weary pragmatism that brings the two films to a thrilling and unforgettable conclusion. Criterion is proud to present these Kurosawa masterworks in new, high-definition digital transfers and Blu-ray editions.

Collector’s Set Includes

SANJURO
Akira Kurosawa 1962
In Kurosawa’s sly companion piece to Yojimbo, jaded samurai Sanjuro helps an idealistic group of young warriors weed out their clan’s evil influences, and in the process turns their image of a “proper” samurai on its ear.

YOJIMBO
Akira Kurosawa 1961
To rid a terror-stricken village of corruption, wily masterless samurai Sanjuro (Toshiro Mifune) turns a range war between two evil clans to his own advantage in Akira Kurosawa’s visually stunning and darkly comic Yojimbo.

• Restored high-definition digital transfers, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray editions
  • Optional Dolby Digital 3.0 soundtracks, preserving the original Perspecta simulated sound effects, inDTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
  • Audio commentaries by Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince
  • Documentaries on the making of Yojimbo and Sanjuro, created as part of the Toho Masterworksseries Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
  • Theatrical teasers and trailers
  • Stills galleries of behind-the-scenes photos
  • New and improved English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: Booklets featuring essays by film writers Alexander Sesonske and Michael Sragow and comments from Kurosawa and members of his cast and crew

New covers by Lucien S. Y. Yang

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice price for these truly great movies! Too bad for the imperfection of the box.
I also have these two, but as single editions. Yojimbo has arrived in February, Sanjuro about a week ago. :)

Reactions: dan8885
Very nice price for these truly great movies! Too bad for the imperfection of the box.
I also have these two, but as single editions. Yojimbo has arrived in February, Sanjuro about a week ago. :)

Yeah very reasonable priced. The seller also sold me a "Pierrot le Fou" BD for 17 EUR. Totally mint. I already got it so I asked another ninja here and copped it for him then.
The seller said to me he sold one week before "The Third Man" BD also for 17 EUR o_O:grumpy::dead::arghh:

Yeah very reasonable priced. The seller also sold me a "Pierrot le Fou" BD for 17 EUR. Totally mint. I already got it so I asked another ninja here and copped it for him then.
The seller said to me he sold one week before "The Third Man" BD also for 17 EUR o_O:grumpy::dead::arghh:
OMG. But to be honest I am not too worried about their OOP titles, since the new 4k restoration of The Third Man f.e. beats even the CC edition, and it has pretty great extras too. Hopefully, we can observe the same regarding The Man Who Fell To Earth as well.
(Pierrot le Fou 4k is likely to come too, imho.)

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
OMG. But to be honest I am not too worried about their OOP titles, since the new 4k restoration of The Third Man f.e. beats even the CC edition, and it has pretty great extras too. Hopefully, we can observe the same regarding The Man Who Fell To Earth as well.
(Pierrot le Fou 4k is likely to come too, imho.)

Yes, I bought the new Third Man Transfer. But I still want to add it to the Criterion collection. Pierrot is a nice edition. Everything will come at some point in 4K. But let's be honest the criterion transfers looks already really good. I don't even need more than that.