Zavvi launches collector wood Steelbook frames

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
INTRODUCING STEELBOOK FRAMES

Got a holy grail in your Steelbook collection? Why not display your precious Steelbook in the best way possible inside one of our beautiful Wooden 2D Collectors Frame. With a stylish Black inlay this is the perfect way to display your most prized Zavvi Exclusives.

Shop here

Offer - £9.99 when bought with any Steelbook.
frame1.jpg
frame2.jpg

These look quite nice imho and the price, when purchased with a SteelBook is not too exorbitant.
Now shipping to NA may preclude any savings and there might be a reasonable facsimile available in some Art Shops (i.e. Michael's).
Has anyone purchased these yet and if so, how do you rate;
- functionality
- quality, and
- value for cost?

Link:
https://www.zavvi.com/offers/steelbooks/collectors-frames.list?widget_id=37604

I read somewhere else ikea sold these and much cheaper but dont know if same thing or size.
As mentioned already how does a steelbook stay in there.

I read somewhere else ikea sold these and much cheaper but dont know if same thing or size.
As mentioned already how does a steelbook stay in there.
It says inner mount so not sure how that works. We will get a better idea when someone purchases one and we can see it in hand.

I would love to have a few of those to display my favorite steelbooks better. But not sure the wife shares my enthusiasm :D

• Thanks
Reactions: Tompa
I see the idea behind these but I think it's just s little gimmick really to make some more money! Would prefer to try out magnetic tape. You would get loads more steels on display!

• Thanks
Reactions: ethnosax
I think these would do very nicely as well, but if one has 500 steelbooks (and I know many who have much more than that), I don't see buying the frames at that price economically justifiable. ;) It's just too much. Even for your top ten steels of the moment, it's still almost 100 GBP, which is nuts (for me anyway).

frame2.jpg

Prompted by another post - Does anyone know how these actually work?

Is it a foam insert or plastic recess that the steelbook just sits in? Does it have glass at the front or is the steelbook just exposed?

Thanks

Looks to me like the steelbook is half seated inside a foam or similar rigid padding cut-out.

Pic courtesy akihiko89
upload_2018-2-21_16-28-48.png

Very smart notion . . . certainly potential here for frames in different wood shades/stains to go with the predominant face colour of the steelbook

DWZ9DYaVwAEJ2Zn.jpg:large

Intrigued by these but at the moment they are far too expensive imo. these magnetic wall mounts I bought I while ago are much cheaper or magnetic tape would even do.

Attachments

• IMG_6626.JPG
    IMG_6626.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,317
  • IMG_6627.JPG
    IMG_6627.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 543
I cannot jump onto these, not yet anyway. With MCU steelbooks and now my MCU Pop Vinyl (never ending) collection growing, frames are the last thing on my mind.