FFO, Germany
Release date: January 18th, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £19.99

HDN Exclusive article here

01.jpg

02.jpg03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone tell me when the price changed to £19.99 as I ordered when it was £25 and that is what's been pulled from my card. Trying to figure out if I've been overcharged.
FYI guys,

All customers who have already ordered will receive an email about this price change and will automatically be charged the new reduced price of £19.99.

It’ll be available on site again at 18:00 tonight.

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/reserv...usive-limited-edition-steelbook/11180134.html

Contact Zavvi to refund you the difference as they don't do it automatically with the pre order price promise you have you contact them to get the reduction and they charge your card whatever your order price has and they don't change your order price like amazon do

The only issue you might have is if you used a discount code when you ordered at £25.00 pre order price promise don't apply as per their terms and conditions but I would in this case request refund the difference between £25.00 and £19.99

When Zavvi change the price I always re order at the lower price and cancel the dearer price order as they never apply the pre order price promise

Last edited:
Reactions: Sigill and Kingoby
Contact Zavvi to refund you the difference as they don't do it automatically with the pre order price promise you have you contact them to get the reduction and they charge your card whatever your order price has and they don't change your order price like amazon do

The only issue you might have is if you used a discount code when you ordered at £25.00 pre order price promise don't apply as per their terms and conditions but I would in this case request refund the difference between £25.00 and £19.99

When Zavvi change the price I always re order at the lower price and cancel the dearer price order as they never apply the pre order price promise
Have not think about re ordering, but i have check the price charge and it 25 GBP, and i sent them a message about that enormous error :angry::mad::yuck:

I'm really disappointed(n)(n)(n)(n)(n):sick:

Regarding the price difference (GBP 24.99 / 19.99) I'm surprised that I appear to be the only one to have received the following message from Zavvi on the 3/11/15 at 6.21PM:-

"Dear Nicholas,
Thank you for ordering Reservoir Dogs - Mondo X Steelbook - UK Exclusive Limited Edition Steelbook with Zavvi.
We just wanted to let you know that the price of this item has dropped to 19.99 GBP and in accordance with our pre-order price promise YOU WILL ONLY PAY THIS NEW LOWER PRICE.
If there is anything else that we can do . . . " blah, blah
Kind regards,
Zavvi Customer Service Team

N.B. Block capitals are mine

Maybe those charged GBP 24.99 could check their in-boxes on or around the 3rd Nov. to check if they received a similar message and if so all they need to do is to remind Zavvi of that message and a fiver should be refunded anon :)

Regarding the steelbook itself: I had to cancel mine (too many other expenses) but I think it looks pretty darn good based on the in-hand pics and I must say I prefer the very slightly opaque slipcover as those very shiny slips don't half show up scratches - in my experience - and if not handled carefully can look shabby.

The fact that the BBFC stamps are ONLY on the back should be a cause for celebration I would think . . . no?

Last edited:
A shame that the actual slip is more cloudy than the US version.

I'll have to try and get the US one at some point now instead.

I'm in no rush

Regarding the price difference (GBP 24.99 / 19.99) I'm surprised that I appear to be the only one to have received the following message from Zavvi on the 3/11/15 at 6.21PM:-

"Dear Nicholas,
Thank you for ordering Reservoir Dogs - Mondo X Steelbook - UK Exclusive Limited Edition Steelbook with Zavvi.
We just wanted to let you know that the price of this item has dropped to 19.99 GBP and in accordance with our pre-order price promise YOU WILL ONLY PAY THIS NEW LOWER PRICE.
Kind regards,

Maybe those charged GBP 24.99 could check their in-boxes on or around the 3rd Nov. to check if they received a similar message and if so all they need to do is to remind Zavvi of that message and a fiver should be refunded anon :)

Regarding the steelbook itself: I had to cancel mine (too many other expenses) but I think it looks pretty darn good based on the in-hand pics and I must say I prefer the very slightly opaque slipcover as those very shiny slips don't half show up scratches - in my experience - and if not handled carefully can look shabby.

The fact that the BBFC stamps are ONLY on the back should be a cause for celebration I would think . . . no?
You are not the only one many have received it including me.

"Dear Nicholas,
Kind regards,

For me the slip should have been identical. Making it cloudy doesn't benefit anyone. It means it looks worse whether you open the Steelbook or not as most people willI keep it in the slip. It should have been clear like the US version.

As an analogy you may consider framed pictures either in standard shiny glass or in non-reflective glass - some will prefer the standard glass which makes the picture more "glossy" but could mean that on a sunny day all you can see of it is reflections of other stuff in the room. I personally prefer non-reflective glass whereby you can see the picture no matter how bright the sun is and for that reason I don't object to the slightly "matte" finish of the plastic sleeve . . . but then again I don't have either of the two versions in front of me . . .
Anyway, these steelbooks are way too handsome to be racked with regular bog-standard artwork steelbooks and should ideally be on display on those perspex / acrylic stands face front (not on shelves just showing the spines and that silly "STEELBOOK" logo) and if a slightly matte slip shows up the artwork better on a sunny day then I'm all for it :thumbs:

Last edited:
Well there is nothing wrong with the other clear slips that have come with the other mondo steelbooks, or true dective or the PET slips that come with nova orders etc so I'm not sure what a sunny day has to do with it apart from making the art more vibrant

These should of been the same slips and not more cloudy. And if I wanted to display them i wouldn't want them in a darker slip!

U.K./Zavvi had to find one way to **** these up!

Reactions: hayemaker
Anyone in receipt of this could maybe advise if the whole package is factory sealed or just the steelbook.

Anyone with a copy of this opened and a copy of the U.S. edition also opened could maybe place both on a table on steelbook stands with suitable lighting aimed at them to see which looks "better".
I would expect the artwork under the slightly matte plastic slip to be slightly darker but also be more easily viewed in its entirety due to the absence of disturbing reflections from the light source . . .

If there's a reason for the different finish to the slips for The States and the slips for the U.K. I'd be interested to know what that is.

Last edited:
I would expect the artwork under the slightly matte plastic slip to be slightly darker but also be more easily viewed in its entirety due to the absence of disturbing reflections from the light source . . .

It's not more easily viewed in any light source - the artwork looks murky and obscured. It's a cock up, end of story. I once bought a pack of protective shells off ebay from a seller and they were cloudy and crap like this so I sent them back.

Reactions: Flloydo
Anyone in receipt of this could maybe advise if the whole package is factory sealed or just the steelbook.

Anyone with a copy of this opened and a copy of the U.S. edition also opened could maybe place both on a table on steelbook stands with suitable lighting aimed at them to see which looks "better".

If there's a reason for the different finish to the slips for The States and the slips for the U.K. I'd be interested to know what that is.

Paul has photos on the last page with both side by side. Might not be the best angle but you can clearly see the USA version is clearer

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.
Personally prefer the ONE ON THE RIGHT - less glare on the slip and clearer image of the steelbook underneath with more detail visible especially on the row of faces near the top and of the print underneath (such as on the "We buy gold" sign) - better contrast and sharper when zoomed in.
I'm thinking that maybe it's the same slip but given an anti-glare coating?
The slipcover artwork on the right is also better with the darker blood red giving better contrast to the print which means I can make that out easier.

One weird difference between them though (and I don't know if it has already been mentioned) is that the one on the right appears to be MISSING MOST OF THE WALL on the right side behind the "DOGS" part of the title (or do I need to pay a visit to the local optician?).

Personally prefer the ONE ON THE RIGHT - less glare on the slip and clearer image of the steelbook underneath with more detail visible especially on the row of faces near the top and of the print underneath (such as on the "We buy gold" sign) - better contrast and sharper when zoomed in.
The slipcover artwork on the right is also better with the darker blood red giving better contrast to the print which means I can make that out easier.

One weird difference between them though (and I don't know if it has already been mentioned) is that the one on the right appears to be MISSING MOST OF THE WALL on the right side behind the "DOGS" part of the title (or do I need to pay a visit to the local optician?).

It is there but seems to be darker,
Maybe it's the cloudy slip.
Not sure but to me the one on the left is sooo much clearer and the red/ blood on Harvey's shirts is so much more vibrant.
Mondo art is usually quite vibrant especially by this artist.

@paulboland (or anyone who has both) any chance when you get time and in the light you can take a photo of both side by side without the slips on?
I'm starting to think the uk is a darker finish in general on the steel.
As mentioned with the wall behind the dogs looking darker, i thought it might be the slip making it darker but your photo without the slip on still makes the wall behind them dark.

Reactions: Sigill

There is no comparison as far as I can see, the one on the left is far better. Colours are more vivid and detail is better. I very much doubt it would be an anti-glare coating, more than likely just a poor quality slip compared to the US version. The wall does seem to be very faint on the UK version though, it definatly looks different to the US version.

Reactions: Flloydo
Hunting around for an answer to this crystal clear / cloudy slipcover issue I think I may have found it . . .
The U.K. slips may have a thin peelable PROTECTIVE FILM layer to give just that little bit of extra protection against scratches caused in transit (steel violently moving around in its packing box on its way to you).
Once the layer is removed it will be seen that the slipcovers are exactly the same as those crystal clear ones from other territories.
If anyone can confirm this by carefully removing the protective film (or tell me it's a nonsense idea as there's no removable film) then please do so (@paulboland, @hayemaker and others) :)

If there is a protective film on the slipcover that can be peeled off then I guess that answers my previous question (from #213) and it's only the steelbook that is factory sealed with the slipcover loose and sliding over the top.

Anyway, emailed Scanavo and await reply which will post here if forthcoming.

"Dear Sir or Madam,

Two questions have arisen in the past day or so on one of the U.K. forums relating to the MONDO X RESERVOIR DOGS STEELBOOK - ZAVVI EXCLUSIVE (IN THE U.K.) and also relating to its translucent slipcover.

I hope you will be good enough to answer the following:-

1) Does the slipcover have a protective film on it ?
I only mention this because I've read complaints (and talk of Returns) because the U.K. slipcover appears "cloudy" unlike the crystal clear slipcover on the U.S. edition.

2) Re: the steelbook itself - is this EXACTLY the same steelbook as supplied to both territories ?
It has been mentioned that the U.K. artwork appears to be a few shades darker than the U.S. artwork and the U.K. edition appears to be missing a large part of the wall behind the title or if it's there it is definitely less easy to make out ?

Please get back to me at your earliest convenience with answers that can be posted on the forum to remove all doubts and clear up any confusion.
Yours faithfully,
-----------------"

Last edited:
Reactions: Travis Bickle