Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
4.20 star(s) Rating: 4.20/5 5 Votes
Title: 1917

Tagline: Time is the enemy

Genre: War, Drama, History

Director: Sam Mendes

Cast: George MacKay, Dean-Charles Chapman, Mark Strong, Richard Madden, Andrew Scott, Benedict Cumberbatch, Colin Firth, Daniel Mays, Adrian Scarborough, Chris Walley, Nabhaan Rizwan, Jamie Parker, Tommy French

Release: 2019-12-25

Plot: Two young British soldiers during the First World War are given an impossible mission: deliver a message deep in enemy territory that will stop their own men, and Blake's own brother, from walking straight into a deadly trap.

Getting a Dunkirk type vibe from this... think it may just be the score (clock ticking in particular) though. Looks great nonetheless!

Yep this looks excellent

I love Mendes. American beauty is one of the greatest, he made the best bond movie (skyfall, although spectre was rubbish), away we go was perfect and jarhead is hugely underrated.

I studied history at school and although I’m fully aware that a huge number of soldiers that went to war in WW1 & 2 were literally kids, it’s odd at my age now (33) seeing literal kids in this film. It’s horrible. Maybe when I was so young watching war films everyone’s much older than me so they are adults in your eyes but these boys look so godamn young. So scary

Reactions: Scraggy
Yep this looks excellent

I love Mendes. American beauty is one of the greatest, he made the best bond movie (skyfall, although spectre was rubbish), away we go was perfect and jarhead is hugely underrated.

I studied history at school and although I’m fully aware that a huge number of soldiers that went to war in WW1 & 2 were literally kids, it’s odd at my age now (33) seeing literal kids in this film. It’s horrible. Maybe when I was so young watching war films everyone’s much older than me so they are adults in your eyes but these boys look so godamn young. So scary
The achilles heel - Mendes has never written a script before, and his co-screenwriter has only written for TV.
Hope for the best, though.

The achilles heel - Mendes has never written a script before, and his co-screenwriter has only written for TV.
Hope for the best, though.

Yeah I see you said that earlier in the thread

Oh well, could turn out better than anything he’s done before and TVs where’s it’s at, at the moment when it comes to in depth stories so maybe it will be gold.

Time will tell. But even if it’s crap and bombs it wont take away the fact he’s a fantastic director

Yeah I see you said that earlier in the thread

Oh well, could turn out better than anything he’s done before and TVs where’s it’s at, at the moment when it comes to in depth stories so maybe it will be gold.

Time will tell. But even if it’s crap and bombs it wont take away the fact he’s a fantastic director
No - I'm just pointing it out.
Spielberg rarely writes - but his first script was CLOSE ENCOUNTERS- so you never know.

Reactions: Flloydo
Agreed. My favorite Spielberg film.
(I actually own an original 1977 88"x88" giant poster of the highway road/we are not alone lobby poster :D )

Spielberg’s the reason I’m a film geek. All started with Jurassic Park when my dad took me to see it as a youngen and then watched close encounters followed by my mum showing me Indy, Star Wars
And never ending story lol. Good times

Reactions: C.C. 95
Spielberg’s the reason I’m a film geek. All started with Jurassic Park when my dad took me to see it as a youngen and then watched close encounters followed by my mum showing me Indy, Star Wars
And never ending story lol. Good times
Showing my age - but my parents took me to see Close Encounters when I was a kid.
To me, 1977 means CLOSE ENCOUNTERS not Star Wars. (Didn't care for Star Wars).
I was lucky- my parents had great taste. When other kids were being taken to Disney animated films, I was taken to CE, EXCALIBUR, BLADE RUNNER, and JAMES BOND.:)
And, of course - when we got into the 80s everything exploded! (Some of the best movie summers in history)

Showing my age - but my parents took me to see Close Encounters when I was a kid.
To me, 1977 means CLOSE ENCOUNTERS not Star Wars. (Didn't care for Star Wars).
I was lucky- my parents had great taste. When other kids were being taken to Disney animated films, I was taken to CE, EXCALIBUR, BLADE RUNNER, and JAMES BOND.:)
And, of course - when we got into the 80s everything exploded! (Some of the best movie summers in history)

Obviously I can’t do anything about when I was born (86) but I always considered my parents to have good taste too (same with music, they introduced me to Bowie, Beatles. Zeppelin, Hendrix, doors etc)
My parents separated when I was 9 and when my dad moved out I would go round there and he would show me Alien, terminator, predator and bunch of horror films like nightmare on elm street etc

Obviously I can’t do anything about when I was born (86) but I always considered my parents to have good taste too (same with music, they introduced me to Bowie, Beatles. Zeppelin, Hendrix, doors etc)
My parents separated when I was 9 and when my dad moved out I would go round there and he would show me Alien, terminator, predator and bunch of horror films like nightmare on elm street etc
It's great to have folks with good taste. Imagine having a dad who loves Michael Bay movies. :rofl:

• Haha
It's great to have folks with good taste. Imagine having a dad who loves Michael Bay movies. :rofl:

It is

Lol true but admittedly I do like some of the early ones. Well just bad boys (1), the rock, and the first transformers with a small soft spot for Armageddon lol. But hey ho I was young when they came out

It is

Lol true but admittedly I do like some of the early ones. Well just bad boys (1), the rock, and the first transformers with a small soft spot for Armageddon lol. But hey ho I was young when they came out
I'll give The Rock and Armageddon a pass - just because what came after makes those look like Merchant Ivory movies. :LOL:

I'll give The Rock and Armageddon a pass - just because what came after makes those look like Merchant Ivory movies. :LOL:

Thing is I know they are bad but we all gotta have some guilty pleasures right?

My main guilty pleasures are the mummy and deep blue sea. Awful but great films

Thing is I know they are bad but we all gotta have some guilty pleasures right?

My main guilty pleasures are the mummy and deep blue sea. Awful but great films
I like the Mummy films (save for the 3rd one).
They satiated a need people have for Indiana Jones-esque adventure that is rarely done, and rarely done well. (*See Sahara, Tomb Raider)
Speaking of Stephen Sommers and guilty pleasures - I freaking love Deep Rising. :D

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database