May 24, 2019
Release date: November 5, 2019
Purchase link: Best Buy CA
Price: CAD $44.99

tangled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Olymphat and Drum18
Thanks for all the tags. Going to skip all of these since I have the UK ones even though they aren't 4K. Disney must really want to get some money back after purchasing FOX!
My theory is that they’re trying to sell all the physical media copies before Disney+ streaming hits.

That’s also my theory in why they’re not including Dolby Vision on the discs any longer. After selling all the discs they will then promote Disney+ as the way to get Dolby Vision versions not available elsewhere.

My theory is that they’re trying to sell all the physical media copies before Disney+ streaming hits.

That’s also my theory in why they’re not including Dolby Vision on the discs any longer. After selling all the discs they will then promote Disney+ as the way to get Dolby Vision versions not available elsewhere.
IT’s all about Disney+. It’s allegedly all 4K, so they had to do a 4K print anyway. Why not sell disks too? As for Dolby Vision, I have no idea. I can’t imagine that Dolby Vision will improve it enough to make streaming it any better than the disk. Anything with dark scenes is going to be noisy AF (at least that’s been my experience, but I don’tknow If those had Dolby vision)

IT’s all about Disney+. It’s allegedly all 4K, so they had to do a 4K print anyway. Why not sell disks too? As for Dolby Vision, I have no idea. I can’t imagine that Dolby Vision will improve it enough to make streaming it any better than the disk. Anything with dark scenes is going to be noisy AF (at least that’s been my experience, but I don’tknow If those had Dolby vision)

From what I’ve heard the 4K streaming version of Infinity War looks noticeably better in Dolby Vision than the base HDR on the 4K BD. I cannot vouch for this myself, as you cannot get that version in Canada.

From what I’ve heard the 4K streaming version of Infinity War looks noticeably better in Dolby Vision than the base HDR on the 4K BD. I cannot vouch for this myself, as you cannot get that version in Canada.
I don’t doubt that, but you have to account for the fact that Disney+ is going to compress the hell out of the stream. I don’t think better HDR can overcome that.

I don’t doubt that, but you have to account for the fact that Disney+ is going to compress the hell out of the stream. I don’t think better HDR can overcome that.

The higher bitrate on 4K Discs often can make a difference and when the HDR10 and Dolby Vision versions are very close, then that bitrate bump can make the disc-based HDR10 version preferable. Sometimes though, the Dolby Vision grading is so much better than the HDR10 version that the slight loss of fine detail and colour banding isn't as significant as the eye-popping gains from Dolby Vision. Disney has also been cheaping out, not going for the 100GB discs when they should be due to movie length. As a result, you get some compression artifacts in the 4K UHD Blu Ray movies like Endgame, where they are trying to squeeze a 3-hour movie onto a too-small disc. Here's a gushing account of Infinity War's streaming Dolby Vision version: Article

The article said:

Let me back up a moment, to explain that I saw Infinity War repeatedly in theaters, on both regular screens and IMAX screens and Dolby Vision screens. For home release, I first saw Infinity War in regular Blu-ray, and it still looked great and was wildly entertaining. Then I watched it on 4K Blu-ray, and was -- as you can imagine, I'm sure -- impressed by the jump in quality of image and color compared to standard Blu-ray.

Then I watched it in streaming 4K Dolby Vision, and my mind melted and I literally texted several friends and family to tell them how amazed I was by what I was experiencing. This isn't hyperbole and it's not irrelevant to you, readers. If you have already seen Infinity War in 4K, and you were impressed, I cannot stress enough to you that even the regular 4K pales in comparison to the color and image clarity and realism generated by viewing it in 4K Dolby Vision. Again, the only way to see it that way is to buy the 4K Blu-ray and then use the digital code to obtain a 4K Dolby Vision version for streaming/download, or to just outright buy the Digital-HD version in full 4K Dolby Vision, so make certain you get the exact right specific version or you'll miss out.

No Dolby Vision home experience I've had up to this point compared to the Infinity War experience, it's at a level thus far unparalleled in home entertainment and is like a massive ad for the point "4K Dolby Vision is the greatest thing you'll ever see."

The opening sequence is mind-blowing in eye-squinting brightness mixed with absolute black shadows (Dolby Vision factually achieves brightness and blackness, and a general range of colors, literally impossible for any other existing format to even come close to achieving). The later sequence of Thanos and Gamora visiting a certain planet are exquisite and so gorgeous they could be printed out and hung on your wall. The contrast and compliment of dark and light, of vivid colors and imagery so crips you can stick your nose against the screen and still see everything in clearly defined lines and edges, exceeds anything you've seen before.

Last edited:

When DV first came out, there was only 1 disc facility and a huge backup. I don't know how much has changed. I red a rumor that someone at Pixar didn't care for DV on disc, and that's why it was dropped, but it seems odd.

Reactions: nacthenud
When DV first came out, there was only 1 disc facility and a huge backup. I don't know how much has changed. I red a rumor that someone at Pixar didn't care for DV on disc, and that's why it was dropped, but it seems odd.

It's not just Pixar though. It's all Disney discs, including Marvel.