12 Monkeys (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Arrow Video) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Jan 31, 2014
Release date: May 24, 2021
Purchase links: Zavvi (Red Carpet Exclusive) - Zavvi (Standard Edition) (Pre-order on February 26 at 3 PM - UK time)
Price: £17.99 (Standard Edition) - £22.99 (Red Carpet Exclusive)
Notes: Red Carpet exclusive version with rigid slipcase and double-sided fold-out poster

12898288-1684842739478262.jpg12M (RC EX) (contents).jpg

12898288-1744842739674627.jpg 12898288-1724842739628142.jpg 12898288-4294842739570659.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely wait for the 4K. Just milking us before bringing out the UHD in a year. Does anybody know if there is a 4K scan of this in existence ?
The arrow 1080p bluray release is based off their own 4K scan, so yes. I expect they'll release it on UHD over the next few years. They have missed the 25th anniversary now though, so maybe they'll wait for the 30th, who knows.

Reactions: Retro Parrot
Putting the same art on the slip case as the steelbook is lazy.

Putting the same art on the steelbook, slip case AND poster. That's just idiotic.

It's a double sided poster, let me guess- same image on both sides.

The funny part is, its not even a good image that they copied and pasted onto every surface in this edition. 3 X terrible still = terrible. .

Sounds like I'm the only one who's buying this then :rofl: The art isn't amazing, but I like it enough. I guess mainly because I was contemplating buying the arrow amaray recently anyway and this will only cost like £3 more :rolleyes:

Who is that supposed to be in the main picture? The hazmat suit Bruce Willis wears is a transparent design..it's a distinctive/ iconic look. The art on this doesn't seem to resemble it. Fantastic movie and nice extras on the disc.

i showed this - just the image only, blocking out the words - to my Significant Other and asked them to guess the film. they said: "Outbreak?"

it's great that people who missed the original can have a chance to own a steel of the film, and i'm glad it's not the same as the old one for a bit of variety - but the old one is so. much. better.

1614291585704.png

will this release also have spot gloss, embossing and the proper logo? 'course not.

Reactions: Noodles
There's no polishing this turd. Just garbage all around. Who thought this is exactly what people who love this movie want - a dude in a hazmat suit, a ball of TVs and a lion?

i showed this - just the image only, blocking out the words - to my Significant Other and asked them to guess the film. they said: "Outbreak?"

it's great that people who missed the original can have a chance to own a steel of the film, and i'm glad it's not the same as the old one for a bit of variety - but the old one is so. much. better.

View attachment 499032

will this release also have spot gloss, embossing and the proper logo? 'course not.
Think you're mistaken there, the original isn't spot glossed. It's nasty bacon fat streaky matte through and through :vomit: Debossed title and the proper logo on the rear are a nice touch, otherwise it's just a cheap sh*t streaky black matte steel.

Subjective of course, but neither are great and the arrow slightly edges it. There's nothing worse than streaky matte black for me, plus the arrow one has a vastly superior disc.

There's no polishing this turd. Just garbage all around. Who thought this is exactly what people who love this movie want - a dude in a hazmat suit, a ball of TVs and a lion?
You can polish a turd but it's still a turd and as Stanley Kubrick once said in response to the comment, "You can if you freeze it".

TBH I prefer the expression put lipstick on a pig (make superficial or cosmetic changes to a product in a futile effort to disguise its fundamental failings) but by using the same art on the slip they've not applied the lipstick so to speak and as for polishing turds and shining sh!t you've got to go back to the 1960s and 1970s and maybe even further to find out from whence they came.

Another unexciting Arrow steelbook to join these sad affairs:-
View attachment 499001 View attachment 499003 View attachment 499006 View attachment 499008

Seriously lamenting the quality artwork of most the wonderful Arrow steelbooks of the past including:-
View attachment 498995 View attachment 498996 View attachment 498998 View attachment 498999 View attachment 499000View attachment 499004 etc.
You don’t like any of the ones you posted? I think most of them are decent. I especially love the big trouble, phenomena and Carrie arrow steels. Just a shame the finishes aren’t better

this one is really bad though

You don’t like any of the ones you posted? I think most of them are decent. I especially love the big trouble, phenomena and Carrie arrow steels. Just a shame the finishes aren’t better

this one is really bad though

I believe @virkia is saying that the first 4 steelbooks above (Candyman, Hellraiser, Carrie and Weird Science) are sad affairs. The other 6 are quality artwork.

The arrow 1080p bluray release is based off their own 4K scan, so yes. I expect they'll release it on UHD over the next few years. They have missed the 25th anniversary now though, so maybe they'll wait for the 30th, who knows.
Sadly, in 4 years, physical media might no longer be around. So I doubt they will wait 4 years. Maybe next year?

Who is that supposed to be in the main picture? The hazmat suit Bruce Willis wears is a transparent design..it's a distinctive/ iconic look. The art on this doesn't seem to resemble it. Fantastic movie and nice extras on the disc.
It's definitely meant to be Bruce Willis, the suit just hasn't be drawn with the same level of transparency:
EVVTgzoXQAcvamK.jpg

Think you're mistaken there, the original isn't spot glossed. It's nasty bacon fat streaky matte through and through :vomit: Debossed title and the proper logo on the rear are a nice touch, otherwise it's just a cheap sh*t streaky black matte steel.

Subjective of course, but neither are great and the arrow slightly edges it. There's nothing worse than streaky matte black for me, plus the arrow one has a vastly superior disc.
intriguing - i have just checked mine and it's not streaky at all. :wow: maybe i got lucky, or a rogue good copy got out, if you're right! :)

Reactions: samdavies
Not a huge fan of the Art :wow: but will be going for the Slipcover release to go with American werewolf.
I want to grab all of these Slip releases that they put out there as I can see them becoming a regular thing.

Sadly, in 4 years, physical media might no longer be around. So I doubt they will wait 4 years. Maybe next year?
I do not think physical media will be dead in 4 yrs. There's no way companies would go through all this outlay (arrow in particular, seeing as they only started last year) on developing 4k discs for them to have such a small lifespan on return.