16K Sony screen

The more resolution the BIGGER the TV needs to be for you to see the difference.
You won't see the difference between 8K and 4K unless your TV is bigger than 125 inches.
Don't be roped in by this nonsense. 4K is the Zenith for any TV under 100 inches.
**** better cancel my pre-order now :rofl::rofl::whistle:

Na, to be fair mate it's not something that id buy into the 4K one that I have is more than good enough for us, all this 8K and god knows what next doesn't really interest me especially at the price:rofl:

If I don't understand something then I don't tend to spend the money on it, I've never really be one for getting sucked into the whole salesman pitch:oohyeah::whistle:

Reactions: C.C. 95
The more resolution the BIGGER the TV needs to be for you to see the difference.
You won't see the difference between 8K and 4K unless your TV is bigger than 125 inches.
Don't be roped in by this nonsense. 4K is the Zenith for any TV under 100 inches.

Not to mention most 4k discs are 2k upscales.. haha!

**** better cancel my pre-order now :rofl::rofl::whistle:

Na, to be fair mate it's not something that id buy into the 4K one that I have is more than good enough for us, all this 8K and god knows what next doesn't really interest me especially at the price:rofl:

If I don't understand something then I don't tend to spend the money on it, I've never really be one for getting sucked into the whole salesman pitch:oohyeah::whistle:
The next great strides are in dynamic range of color, not resolution.

Some are. Some aren't. But either of them with HDR or Dolby Vision are incredible.

I'd be intrigued to see the numbers on what is and isn't, but I assume nobody's done that yet. I must say there are some upscales with HDR that I have been disappointed with. Bad Times At The El Royale, for example, I even checked if I had put the blu ray in by mistake. I'm all for 4k, don't get me wrong, I agree some look incredible.

Reactions: C.C. 95
I'd be intrigued to see the numbers on what is and isn't, but I assume nobody's done that yet. I must say there are some upscales with HDR that I have been disappointed with. Bad Times At The El Royale, for example, I even checked if I had put the blu ray in by mistake. I'm all for 4k, don't get me wrong, I agree some look incredible.
Just like regular Blu ray - you are gonna have good ones and some bad ones.

I catalog my movies and so I get on IMDb to see what the technical specs the movie was shot in and it’s amazing at how many are not 4K that say they are and that are actually upscaled 2K to 4K.

I catalog my movies and so I get on IMDb to see what the technical specs the movie was shot in and it’s amazing at how many are not 4K that say they are and that are actually upscaled 2K to 4K.
Keep in mind that 35mm film is 6K.
Also - all digital movies with CGI go through the SFX pipeline at 2K.
Some digital films have been shot 6K and finished at 2K.

Yes, my movies that are filmed in Super 35 are quite nice to say the least. :D
Super 35? That is "cheatin' scope"! It's just a matted full frame! Go full anamorphic 2.35! Panavision or Arriscope!
Nothing worse than when a soft matte super 35 accidentally gets shown with the mattes removed and you see boom mics above , and apple boxes below!! (Plus, with anamorphic you get the REAL lens flares!):thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: Lone Crusader
16k? super pointless...

recently upgraded to 4k and tbh i dont see much difference in terms of sharpness and im already sitting 2 metres away from a 75" screen... hdr, oled/qled, local dimming and other features make far more of a difference in picture quality, colors, black levels,etc.

but i guess most people dont bother with much more than size & resolution

16k? super pointless...

recently upgraded to 4k and tbh i dont see much difference in terms of sharpness and im already sitting 2 metres away from a 75" screen... hdr, oled/qled, local dimming and other features make far more of a difference in picture quality, colors, black levels,etc.

but i guess most people dont bother with much more than size & resolution
The quality jump isn't as overt as HDR and Local Dimming and deep black and bright highlights.
And certainly it isn't the same jump as 1080/720 from 480p.
But, it makes a big difference. A good example:It smooths color banding, and stops posterization so common in 1080p.
2EE3830A-0823-4A7A-82A2-DB76FA887826.jpeg

*and, YES - 16K is super pointless unless you have a screen 200"+ in size.

• Informative
Reactions: Robles
@C.C. 95 Looking at it like that then there is quite a big difference. Thanks for the info :thumbs:
Yeah, 4K (as far as I am concerned) is pretty much the zenith on resolution. Our eyes can see a difference in a jump to 8K if it is a very large screen (about 125") - but science tells us that the human eye cannot see beyond 8K.
So, 75" at 4K is pretty much a sweet spot.
The revolutionary things from now on will be in HDR, wide color gamut and luminousity.
(Oh, and 3D ....:D yes - it will return with AVATAR 2)
Whether they will be ready with glasses-free 3D tech with AVATAR 2 remains to be seen. But 3D was James Cameron's baby- and he isn't gonna lay down and let it die....:naughty: (in fact - he said AVATAR 2 will be released on home video/streaming ONLY in 3D)

Last edited:
If I'm honest I've never watched a movie in 4k, I've only played games using it.

Netflix says that it's in 4k but I don't know how true that it.

I need to pick up a 4k release and give it a go, I just thought it was another selling point at first as I don't really follow these things so don't really understand it all.

But after seeing your example above there is obviously a clear difference. When I originally got the tv we have now and plugged our one x into it I didn't really notice any difference in the 4k but then realized that the 4k wasn't on :oohyeah::LOL:

The quality jump isn't as overt as HDR and Local Dimming and deep black and bright highlights.
And certainly it isn't the same jump as 1080/720 from 480p.
But, it makes a big difference. A good example:It smooths color banding, and stops posterization so common in 1080p.
View attachment 423789

*and, YES - 16K is super pointless unless you have a screen 200"+ in size.
idk m8, i have never ever seen (or better noticed) color banding on 1080p as bad as on this picture... so I'm not sold on the notion its a big difference... at least yet...