Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
4.20 star(s) Rating: 4.20/5 5 Votes
Title: 1917

Tagline: Time is the enemy

Genre: War, Drama, History

Director: Sam Mendes

Cast: George MacKay, Dean-Charles Chapman, Mark Strong, Richard Madden, Andrew Scott, Benedict Cumberbatch, Colin Firth, Daniel Mays, Adrian Scarborough, Chris Walley, Nabhaan Rizwan, Jamie Parker, Tommy French

Release: 2019-12-25

Plot: Two young British soldiers during the First World War are given an impossible mission: deliver a message deep in enemy territory that will stop their own men, and Blake's own brother, from walking straight into a deadly trap.

I like the Mummy films (save for the 3rd one).
They satiated a need people have for Indiana Jones-esque adventure that is rarely done, and rarely done well. (*See Sahara, Tomb Raider)
Speaking of Stephen Sommers and guilty pleasures - I freaking love Deep Rising. :D

Yea same about mummy. I like returns but not the 3rd

I had to look up deep rising, the name rang a bell but looking at the poster and cast I’ve definately not seen it. Poster is a beastly eye so I’m assuming a monster movie in the form of a giant croc or something like that?

Edit; I’m gona check the trailer out lol. I fancy a 90s trailer too

Omg I think I remember the trailer from when I was a kid. I’m so watching that.
Just looked into it, considering that’s a year apart from the mummy it looks so different in the way it’s filmed and how old it looks compared to it. 90s Cliché characters and all

Reactions: C.C. 95
Omg I think I remember the trailer from when I was a kid. I’m so watching that.
Just looked into it, considering that’s a year apart from the mummy it looks so different in the way it’s filmed and how old it looks compared to it. 90s Cliché characters and all
It's a ton of fun. Jerry Goldsmith score. Effects by ILM.
Great cast. It knows what it is, with tongue firmly in cheek. You'll have great time.:thumbs:

Reactions: Flloydo
It's like BIRDMAN. It's made to appear as one continuous shot. But it isn't actually one real continuous shot like RUSSIAN ARK.

Right. I kind of figured.
Still, I love the ambition of it! Makes me way more interested in seeing it now.

Right. I kind of figured.
Still, I love the ambition of it! Makes me way more interested in seeing it now.
It's funny - I never though about this.
It is ironic and crazy, that with all the Oscars for BIRDMAN - why wasn't it nominated for best editing?
Did the editor get the shaft JUST to suspend the illusion that it was one shot?!!!
(isn't it great editing to make it look like it's one shot?!)

Reactions: kaw
It's funny - I never though about this.
It is ironic and crazy, that with all the Oscars for BIRDMAN - why wasn't it nominated for best editing?
Did the editor get the shaft JUST to suspend the illusion that it was one shot?!!!
(isn't it great editing to make it look like it's one shot?!)

I guess you could argue that all the cuts were pre-planned by the director when they shot the thing... so the editor didn't really have to do much in post. haha

• Wow
Reactions: C.C. 95
I guess you could argue that all the cuts were pre-planned by the director when they shot the thing... so the editor didn't really have to do much in post. haha
Those cuts didn't get invisible by themselves.:bored: He was robbed!:LOL:
*"Birdman was the first film to win Best Picture without an editing nomination since Ordinary People (1980)."

MAN. I just realized today that this isn't coming out until January here in Canada... I was so pumped to go see this over the Holidays.

:(

FINALLY saw it this weekend. This film is a freakin' masterpiece!!!
I knew I was going to like it going in and it actually exceeded my expectations. I was blown away.
This is a must see film.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Drum18 and vexred
1917 is a great film that is a must see. The cinematography is amazing and plays as a continuous shot.

Forgot to mention that I watched this. I did really enjoy it, but still found it to be a little overrated - some folks are comparing it to Saving Private Ryan, which I personally think this is nowhere near in terms of scale and story.

The way it was edited to make it appear like one continuous shot was definitely pretty cool though... made you feel like you were there with them every step of the way. And yeah, stunning cinematography by the master that is Roger Deakins! :notworthy:

New poster for the Chinese release...

nineteen_seventeen_ver5.jpg