2001: A Space Odyssey (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Manta Lab Exclusive No. 50) [Hong Kong]

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: January 6, 2023
Purchase links: Fullslip - Double Lenti - One Click (Pre-order is October 28th, 2022 at 8 PM (HKT, UTC+8)
Price: $52.99 (Fullslip) - $53.99 (Double Lenti) - $129.98 (One Click)
Group Buy: Fullslip - Double Lenti - One Click

1666346557789.png 1666347269488.png SO2001_overall_OC_5000x.jpg
279586464_5072196826223718_5387673826575655910_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You should all discuss this heavily in the Bootleg Digipak section. :muted:
Honestly dude, when it comes to premium editions, these are all more or less bootlegs to me. Especially when some are manifactured not as well as they could be. The WCL box is as beautifully crafted as only a few pieces in my collection, maybe the middle earth bookshelf edition and one or two others. When I see official Universal Fullslips (e.g. Inglourious Basterds) and see the aslant and heavily shifted text on the spine I get more of a bootleg feeling from that than from something like WCL. After all, it includes official discs and "feels" official, more than most boutique releases. I have personally no idea why people say that this edition is unofficial because this would have been green lit for every boutique manifacturer and I'm really happy to own it. It's one thing seeing it on photos, the real thing honestly blew my mind when I opened it for the first time.

Reactions: leelee17
Honestly dude, when it comes to premium editions, these are all more or less bootlegs to me. Especially when some are manifactured not as well as they could be. The WCL box is as beautifully crafted as only a few pieces in my collection, maybe the middle earth bookshelf edition and one or two others. When I see official Universal Fullslips (e.g. Inglourious Basterds) and see the aslant and heavily shifted text on the spine I get more of a bootleg feeling from that than from something like WCL. After all, it includes official discs and "feels" official, more than most boutique releases. I have personally no idea why people say that this edition is unofficial because this would have been green lit for every boutique manifacturer and I'm really happy to own it. It's one thing seeing it on photos, the real thing honestly blew my mind when I opened it for the first time.
I'm sure you are 100% right and it looks stunning. This is a steelbook forum on the other hand, so.....

• Haha
Reactions: StifflersDad
yes, they arent official releases & not approved by any studios / licenser
Wow. Didn’t know that. How do they get away with it? The studios aren’t able to enforce copyright in China?

And where do they master their discs from? Or do they use cheap retail copies?

The discs are identical to other retailers and not remasters or cheap copies...
What I mean is the discs have to come from somewhere. So if they are not new licensed copies, I’m guessing that WCL take from existing licensed stocks in Amaray issues and then repackage into their own editions. Is this correct?

What I mean is the discs have to come from somewhere. So if they are not new licensed copies, I’m guessing that WCL take from existing licensed stocks in Amaray issues and then repackage into their own editions. Is this correct?
We can only speculate, but that's what I'd assume.

Reactions: Real Steel