Horror Chat 2017 Last Horror watched-Annual HDN October Watch party! [Concluded-see you in 2018!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
watch party anim.gif

Hello horrific ninjas!

It's that time of year again where we get together and share recommendations, and the last horror film you watched in honor of the spookiest holiday of the year! Jump into this thread all throughout October and join the fun by sharing the flicks you're enjoying and win prizes along the way. Tag your favorite horror fans on the forum and let them know it's time to get creepy and gory at HDN!

Be sure to subscribe to the thread (Click "Watch Thread" the the top right of the thread, so that you know what fellow ninjas are watching, and enter to win prizes when you see me post a pic of candy corns.

Also, keep your eyes peeled on the front page of HDN and in the forum for additional giveaways, special announcement, during our third annual HDN HALLOWEEN FEST!

halloweenfest-facebook.png

Pre-order HDN Black Label # 3 Suspiria exclusively at http://shop.hidefninja.com
suspiria-728-ordernow.gif

horrorsideshow-728.jpg

Exclusive HDN Nosferatu pin live now!
nosferatu pinb&w.jpg

Last edited:
I'll kick things off! I watched 'Gerald's Game' on Netflix last night. What a crazy situation she was in. The thought of it was horrifying and I liked how her story was more complex than I first thought. Very suspenseful, and as I had not read the book, an unexpected series of twists.

What horror are you guys watching this year? @rj531 @Sigill @Asopp @elle82 @paulboland & don't forgot to tag fellow ninjas!

Last edited:
Watched You're Next couple of days ago. The first half is pretty straightforward and also suffers from shaky cam disease but i can forgive since it was made with a $1 million budget. Plus the entertaining last half makes up for it, so i shall recommend this.

Watched You're Next couple of days ago. The first half is pretty straightforward and also suffers from shaky cam disease but i can forgive since it was made with a $1 million budget. Plus the entertaining last half makes up for it, so i shall recommend this.

I loved that flick! :drool:

I have my October horror films all lined up, but I'm actually finished off the first season of The Exorcist first. That's been pretty decent and it's been great watching Geena Davis in something again. I'm actually surprised by how graphic it is considering it's only on Fox and not one of the premium networks.

I loved that flick! :drool:

I have my October horror films all lined up, but I'm actually finished off the first season of The Exorcist first. That's been pretty decent and it's been great watching Geena Davis in something again. I'm actually surprised by how graphic it is considering it's only on Fox and not one of the premium networks.

I thought the same-I watched the 2nd ep (somehow Tivo didn't record the 1st), and I had to double check it was Fox, LOL. I need to catch up with it.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Oh nice thread. We are also doing a '31 Days of Horror' movie marathon. It has become a tradition in our house, October the month of horror, Halloween and Trick or treating, pumpkins carving and horror movie nights ^^

#1 'Braindead' aka 'Dead Alive' 1992. Perfect movie to start the marathon, a gory yet comedic classic. Even non horror fans have a few laughs watching this flick. I just wish the was an uncut Blu-ray. 10/10

#2 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' 1992. Very gothic atmospheric Dracula adaptation with a superb cast and icon OST. 8/10

#3 'The Howling' 1981
Uff, where do i start? First of all, 'The Howling' is a werewolf horror released in 1981, SAME YEAR as 'An American Werewolf In London'. Now here is the thing, we all know 'American Werewolf' stole the show, 'The Howling' was just in its shadows. But but but there are many fans arguing that 'The Howling' was actually the better werewolf film, despite of its success. Now i want to be honest and come straight to the point: it wasn't ! 'The Howling' imo lack everything what made 'American werewolf' a classic, enjoyable characters you actually care for, a fantastic soundtrack, comedic yet enthralling and a good pacing. Not to mention the awesome practical effects. That being said, i must give 'The Howling' credit for its effects as well during the last act. The rest unfortunately felt like a snorefest, a waste of time. (this may sound harsh to fans of the movie, sorry, just my opinion, no offense.). 3/10

Just finished watching Pet Sematary 1 & 2 :)
MV5BM2Y0ZTUzZmEtY2E4Ni00ODFmLWJiM2QtYTU2YTM5NTdmMmU0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

Hopefully i get a change to grab that Halloween Complete Collection before 31st ;) it would be fun to have a halloween marathon that night :cool:
I love horror movies but 'Pet Cemetery' is my kryptonite. It's soo atmospheric and eerie, it always gives me creeps. I don't even want to own the movies even though i recognize they are pure horror and perfectly done. I just shouldn't have watched them as a kid. The annorexic woman just won't get out of my head. Also the whole cemetery ambient and score, it delivers on every aspect to make you feel uncomfortable and scared. How do you feel about its presentation?

• Thanks
Reactions: Asopp
Need to get some ideas for this month.
(I'll keep an eye on what @tridon watches :whistle::D)

Going to try and watch new ones instead of a mix. I usually always watch alien and the thing at Halloween anyway but I watched them not long ago.

Actually last month I watched covenant, it comes at night, Texas chainsaw massacre (original), it follows, annabelle creation (which actually freaked me out for some odd reason), IT and death note (at the end of August) so I started a month early!

(A lot of "it" films :wacky:)

Watched ouija and ouija origin of evil last night!
I found 'Ouija: Origin Of Evil' to be the better film. The acting was top and the characters had a good chemistry and are likeable, which made the whole family thing credible. Lulu Wilson also stars in 'Annabelle Creation' which i have yet to see.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and Flloydo
Need to get some ideas for this month.
(I'll keep an eye on what @tridon watches :whistle::D)

Going to try and watch new ones instead of a mix. I usually always watch alien and the thing at Halloween anyway but I watched them not long ago.

Actually last month I watched covenant, it comes at night, Texas chainsaw massacre (original), it follows, annabelle creation (which actually freaked me out for some odd reason), IT and death note (at the end of August) so I started a month early!

(A lot of "it" films :wacky:)

Good movies you picked there last month, a variety of classics and new.
'It comes at night'. I went to see it completely 'blind', will say, i didn't watch any trailers etc. whatsoever. I was soo let down, i wouldn't even categorize this movie as a horror, more an apocalyptic survival thriller/drama. I mean, it's titled 'It comes at night' but nothing actually comes at night, you're getting teased the entire movie. It's a shame because the idea was good and interesting, unfortunately they left the whole what's actually out there completely unexplored. Could have been a much better movie. What are your thoughts on the movie?

• Thanks
I found 'Ouija: Origin Of Evil' to be the better film. The acting was top and the characters had a good chemistry and are likeable, which made the whole family thing credible. Lulu Wilson also stars in 'Annabelle Creation' which i have yet to see.

One of the ouija films I enjoyed and one I really didn't like but i can't remember what one was what

Think I preferred the origin one set in the 60s where the mum is a medium.

Good movies you picked there last month, a variety of classics and new.
'It comes at night'. I went to see it completely 'blind', will say, i didn't watch any trailers etc. whatsoever. I was soo let down, i wouldn't even categorize this movie as a horror, more an apocalyptic survival thriller/drama. I mean, it's titled 'It comes at night' but nothing actually comes at night, you're getting teased the entire movie. It's a shame because the idea was good and interesting, unfortunately they left the whole what's actually out there completely unexplored. Could have been a much better movie. What are your thoughts on the movie?

Yeah I do like a mix.

Haha had a big chat with tridon about it comes at night. I was really up for it, loved the trailer and atmosphere it was giving off and a right bit of me. I did enjoy the film, acting, direction, score etc but I was expecting a creature and a bit more

I went into more detail in the movie thread but my take is

"It" is fear and paranoia coming at night. Along with the nightmares etc. Obviously the sickness was there but I think the post apocalyptic setting causes more psychological scares to the characters. I also think the family were in cahoots with the other guys they meet and it was them that killed the dog but their plan f*cked up and didn't realise edgerton is one serious f*cker and underestimated him. Or/ and the lad was sick earlier than we realise and it was him also doing weird sh*t but that don't explain what the dog chased. Dog must of heard the other blokes.

Wonder if Sir @Wreck and @apsmith21 are checking out any horror or thrillers this year? I hope to finally see 'It' or 'Mother' or both over next week. I know Mother got slammed by critics, but I don't pay much mind to that to begin with. I love Rosemary's Baby and Aranofsky, so I still look forward to checking it out. #HDNhorror

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
One of the ouija films I enjoyed and one I really didn't like but i can't remember what one was what

Think I preferred the origin one set in the 60s where the mum is a medium.

Yeah I do like a mix.

Haha had a big chat with tridon about it comes at night. I was really up for it, loved the trailer and atmosphere it was giving off and a right bit of me. I did enjoy the film, acting, direction, score etc but I was expecting a creature and a bit more

I went into more detail in the movie thread but my take is

"It" is fear and paranoia coming at night. Along with the nightmares etc. Obviously the sickness was there but I think the post apocalyptic setting causes more psychological scares to the characters. I also think the family were in cahoots with the other guys they meet and it was them that killed the dog but their plan f*cked up and didn't realise edgerton is one serious f*cker and underestimated him. Or/ and the lad was sick earlier than we realise and it was him also doing weird sh*t but that don't explain what the dog chased. Dog must of heard the other blokes.

Ah interesting view and definitely plausible.
Another theory is that Travis actually lived some of his 'nightmares', he actually went out at nights sleepwalking or whatever, hence the open door one night. His reaction when he saw 'it' in the forrest, might have had contact also and eventually got infected and spread it to the child. All in all the movie left you with too much speculation instead of deliver a little bit more of the unknown to the audience.

• Thanks
Ah interesting view and definitely plausible.
Another theory is that Travis actually lived some of his 'nightmares', he actually went out at nights sleepwalking or whatever, hence the open door one night. His reaction when he saw 'it' in the forrest, might have had contact also and eventually got infected and spread it to the child. All in all the movie left you with too much speculation instead of deliver a little bit more of the unknown to the audience.

Sorry yeah when i said him doing weird sh*t I meant those kind of things you say

Status
Not open for further replies.