Horror Chat 2019 Halloween Horror Marathon!

tridon

Est. 2011
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
It's September now, so naturally, I'm getting excited for my yearly horror marathon! Every year, I put together a list of horror movies that I want to watch throughout the month of October (I try for at least 31 -- one per day) and I'd love for others to join me!

Use this thread to post the list that you're going to attempt and then throughout October, we talk about what we're watching and if we're staying on track. ;)

I'm still putting together my list, but I'll post it here when I'm done. Happy hauntings, ninja-ghouls! :vamp:

(thread to be merged here after October 31st)

Attachments

Flloydo

Yo honey-dips, summertime, fine Jheri drippin'
Premium Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
UK
@tridon ill defo be involved in this as usual

I’ve started making a little list too and also go with the flow a bit and see recommendations from you lot.

Look forward to your list. I usually nick a few off you anyway haha

Jun 4, 2015
Ireland
My list will no doubt be similar enough to most years with some new additions dotted in.
I always want to do the full 31 but never get to it due to working nights 1 week out of the month, but I have at least 14 that I manage to hit in the 2 weeks leading up to Halloween.

This year I'm probably including;
  • Hereditary
  • Train to Busan
  • The Witch
  • The Descent
  • Raw
  • It Follows
  • The Autopsy of Jane Doe
  • Us
  • Midsommar
  • Ghostbusters
  • Evil Dead (the remake)
  • The Exorcist
  • Halloween
  • Trick R'Treat
I try to dot a few others then throughout the month too.

jaws finatic

Premium Supporter
Mar 6, 2013
Downeast Maine
@tridon I'm diggin' it. Great idea!

I could possibly add to this later, but there are several certainties that are automatic October cinematic fare in the realm of my Horror galaxy. They are:

Frankenstein '31
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Son of Frankenstein
Dracula has Risen from the Grave
The Thing
Aliens
An American Werewolf in London
Romero's classic Dawn of the Dead.
No question these will get a viewing next month.

To those annual endeavors I will add:
Zombieland
30 Days of Night
The orig. Halloween (which is hard to watch knowing PJ Soles get's offed). It's really hard on me! I mean...it is, man!!!
Army of Darkness

Reactions: Flloydo and tridon

tridon

Est. 2011
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Welcome aboard, everyone! Nice to see some new faces this year! As @rj531 said, these are definitely exciting times!

I'm about a good dozen or so films into my list so far. Netflix recently announced their new horror originals for October, so I immediately added those to my list. So excited for this! Only a little over week left! :D

Reactions: Flloydo

tridon

Est. 2011
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
This is it, ghouls! October is just hours away and with it comes the almighty Halloween Horror Marathon of 2019!

As mentioned in the 'Last horror film watched/purchased' thread, this thread will be the go-to horror thread for the month of October so we can chat about all the scary movies we're watching and hopefully get some good recommendations along the way! Once October wraps, the other thread will be re-opened and this one will be merged as in previous years.

So, have you figured out your horror movies for the month yet?! I'll be posting mine shortly, so stay tuned! :vamp:

tridon

Est. 2011
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Alrighty, folks! It's time for my 2019 list reveal! The following films are not in the order that I'll be watching them except for the final one (because it's always my go-to Halloween night film). There's a chance that my list may change somewhat along the way, too, so if that happens, I'll adjust it so everyone's kept up to speed. :thumbs:

So, on top of the Shudder's new Creepshow series and the final three episodes of NOS4A2 -- and finally seeing It Chapter Two in the theatre -- here's my 2019 marathon list...
  • Pet Semetary (2019)
  • Ma (2019)
  • The Dead Don’t Die (2019)
  • The Banana Splits Movie (2019)
  • Eli (2019; streaming on Netflix Oct. 18th)
  • In the Tall Grass (2019; streaming on Netflix Oct. 4th)
  • Fractured (2019; streaming on Netflix Oct. 11th)
  • Rattlesnake (2019; streaming on Netflix Oct. 25)
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
  • Child’s Play (1988)
  • Halloween (1978)
  • Friday the 13th (1980)
  • In Dreams (1999)
  • See No Evil 2 (2014)
  • Black Mountain Side (2014)
  • The Russian Bride (2019)
  • Rupture (2016)
  • Apostle (2018)
  • Final Girl (2015)
  • Veronica (2017)
  • Sinister (2012)
  • Malicious (2018)
  • Lords of Chaos (2018)
  • Tigers are Not Afraid (2017)
  • Hell Night (1981)
  • Incident in a Ghostland (2018)
  • The Mimic (2017)
  • The Changeling (1980)
  • A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)
  • Slaughterhouse Rulez (2018)
  • Haunt (2019)
  • Monster House (2006)

tridon

Est. 2011
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Alrighty, folks! It's time for my 2019 list reveal! The following films are not in the order that I'll be watching them except for the final one (because it's always my go-to Halloween night film). There's a chance that my list may change somewhat along the way, too, so if that happens, I'll adjust it so everyone's kept up to speed. :thumbs:

So, on top of the Shudder's new Creepshow series and the final three episodes of NOS4A2 -- and finally seeing It Chapter Two in the theatre -- here's my 2019 marathon list...
  • Pet Semetary (2019)
  • Ma (2019)
  • The Dead Don’t Die (2019)
  • The Banana Splits Movie (2019)
  • Eli (2019; streaming on Netflix Oct. 18th)
  • In the Tall Grass (2019; streaming on Netflix Oct. 4th)
  • Fractured (2019; streaming on Netflix Oct. 11th)
  • Rattlesnake (2019; streaming on Netflix Oct. 25)
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
  • Child’s Play (1988)
  • Halloween (1978)
  • Friday the 13th (1980)
  • In Dreams (1999)
  • See No Evil 2 (2014)
  • Black Mountain Side (2014)
  • The Russian Bride (2019)
  • Rupture (2016)
  • Apostle (2018)
  • Final Girl (2015)
  • Veronica (2017)
  • Sinister (2012)
  • Malicious (2018)
  • Lords of Chaos (2018)
  • Tigers are Not Afraid (2017)
  • Hell Night (1981)
  • Incident in a Ghostland (2018)
  • The Mimic (2017)
  • The Changeling (1980)
  • A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)
  • Slaughterhouse Rulez (2018)
  • Haunt (2019)
@Rady, I know you're taking part in something similar this year. Any idea what you're watching yet?

Reactions: Rady

tridon

Est. 2011
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
I've watched ....

Monster Squad (first time ever)
3 from hell
The Gate (only got a lil ways in then had to leave....)

Hoping to get some family friendly ones in here this weekend with the kiddos.

ie.

Witches
Addams Family and Addams Family Values
Yeah, I saw that you picked up that Addams Family 2-pack. It's nice that Values is finally on Blu-ray!

Can't believe you're never seen The Monster Squad! What did you think? I love that flick! And how was 3 From Hell? Rob Zombie movies are more miss than hit for me, so I'm unsure if I'll like it. I didn't like House of 1000 Corpses at all, but I absolutely love The Devil's Rejects.

Flloydo

Premium Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
UK
@Flloydo @rj531 @Strangerbyday @jaws finatic @Robles

Anyone start the 31 Days of Halloween marathon yet? :D
Sh!!!!t I keep forgetting to post in here haha

Yep so I’ve done

•Head Count - I liked the idea, its started ok and I enjoyed the tone but it ended badly with some really dodgy CGI and I feel they were going for a iconic IT follows status but failed

•Would you rather - actually loved this. Thought it was a gem. Can’t believe it’s the girl from pitch perfect

•The Monster - was decent. Bit of a one time watch but the little girl was awesome. Felt for her

•Crawl - my favourite so far. I thought this was going to be really cheesey and b movie esque. It is a right little gem. Very savage and intense at times. Well made

tridon

Est. 2011
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Sh!!!!t I keep forgetting to post in here haha

Yep so I’ve done

•Head Count - I liked the idea, its started ok and I enjoyed the tone but it ended badly with some really dodgy CGI and I feel they were going for a iconic IT follows status but failed

•Would you rather - actually loved this. Thought it was a gem. Can’t believe it’s the girl from pitch perfect

•The Monster - was decent. Bit of a one time watch but the little girl was awesome. Felt for her

•Crawl - my favourite so far. I thought this was going to be really cheesey and b movie esque. It is a right little gem. Very savage and intense at times. Well made
Crawl is easily one of my favourite films from this year. It's intense, well-acted, great-looking, and just really, really fantastic! I hope more people watch it on digital/DVD/Blu-ray at home because it deserves it.

Flloydo

Premium Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
UK
Crawl is easily one of my favourite films from this year. It's intense, well-acted, great-looking, and just really, really fantastic! I hope more people watch it on digital/DVD/Blu-ray at home because it deserves it.
Yeah I actually loved it. Both were great too. I don’t see him in much, I just know him as the sniper from Saving private ryan haha but yeah that film really surprised me. CGI was really decent too

Reactions: tridon
Jun 4, 2015
Ireland
@Flloydo @rj531 @Strangerbyday @jaws finatic @Robles

Anyone start the 31 Days of Halloween marathon yet? :D

So...I've been on a bit of a roll with this. I'm starting nights at work next week so I'll be thrown off slightly, but so far I've watched:

• Haunt - awful!
  • Midsommar - One of my favorites of the year, so good.
  • Crawl - Really dug this, a well put together creature feature.
  • Ready or Not - Another of my favorites of the year, gleefully devilish.
  • Dave Made A Maze - Its classified as a horror movie but its not really. Its unique but it didn't really engage me.
  • You Might Be The Killer - Wasn't sure of this at first but ended up loving it. The ending in particular is great!
  • Slice - Thought I'd like this more but it somehow ended up reminding me of a Disney Halloween movie, kind of.
  • Ginger Snaps - An interesting take on the werewolf movie. Not seen it in years & it still holds up.
  • Ring - A classic Jhorror chiller.
  • Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight - Billy Zane needs to make a big career comeback.
  • Ring2 - Didn't enjoy this nearly as much as the first, its not bad but it makes some narrative decisions which somewhat undermine the first.
  • Videodrome - Long live the new flesh.
  • Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood - Better than Demon Knight but they're both sort of not great.
  • Fright Night - Love this, a modern, breezy self aware vampire movie with an absolutely OTT performance from David Tennant.

Reactions: tridon and Flloydo