360 GBP for Jaws VHS-inside extreme fandom for VHS tapes

http://www.newstatesman.com/science...-extreme-facebook-fandom-old-rental-vhs-tapes

Just thought this was a fun article.

And as I said to @C.C. 95 the other day, I actually still have my Blockbuster card, LOL!

360 GBP for a Jaws tape @Wreck
I also have my HOLLYWOOD VIDEO card!!!:LOL:
IMG_8157.JPG
I just moved and dumped 95% of my VHS tapes from my basement.
See, collecting aside, the problem is - unless stored spine-vertical - most old tapes just won't track anymore. ( even if you store them correctly they still have issues).
I had tapes that would track video with sound out of stereo, or track stereo with picture out.
Just no saving them. I kept the rarest ones that are not on any other format. (TOM WAITS - BIG TIME concert film, LAURIE ANDERSON's HOME OF THE BRAVE concert film. actually, a lot of music films and video collections!
But, magnetic tape has a very specific lifespan....
I won't miss how freakin' HEAVY they were to move!!

Last edited:
I also have my HOLLYWOOD VIDEO card!!!:LOL:
View attachment 320926
I just moved and dumped 95% of my VHS tapes from my basement.
See, collecting aside, the problem is - unless stored spine-vertical - most old tapes just won't track anymore. ( even if you store them correctly they still have issues).
I had tapes that would track video with sound out of stereo, or track stereo with picture out.
Just no saving them. I kept the rarest ones that are not on any other format. (TOM WAITS - BIG TIME concert film, LAURIE ANDERSON's HOME OF THE BRAVE concert film. actually, a lot of music films and video collections!
But, magnetic tape has a very specific lifespan....
I won't miss how freakin' HEAVY they were to move!!
I remember way back in the 80's, there was the model where you could buy VHS tapes, or rent them. But buying them was super expensive, with a cost of like $100-200 per tape. Subsequently my mom, a huge horror fan only had a few in her collection, LOL. I still have a few VHS tapes for nostalgia's sake, and once in a while I play them (they are not on DVD). There was always something cool about going to the vid shop and browsing those walls (and for horror the back rooms) way too long, haha!

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
I remember way back in the 80's, there was the model where you could buy VHS tapes, or rent them. But buying them was super expensive, with a cost of like $100-200 per tape. Subsequently my mom, a huge horror fan only had a few in her collection, LOL. I still have a few VHS tapes for nostalgia's sake, and once in a while I play them (they are not on DVD). There was always something cool about going to the vid shop and browsing those walls (and for horror the back rooms) way too long, haha!
True - I worked at video stores back in the 80's. And people were shocked when they lost a tape that the replacement price was $80 plus.
Sell-Through videotapes (that the customer could buy) were always priced in the $20 range.
Usually only "hit" movies were made for sell-through. All the others would cost you if damaged or lost them.
I can't speak to this idea (that I have NEVER heard before) that rental tapes were made of better materials to last longer than sell-through tapes...But, the non-"hit" movies only had one or a handful of copies - therefore, when lost - had to be replaced at the studio's replacement cost. (Since there weren't tons of Sell-through copies available).
So, in essence - if you lost a copy of PRETTY WOMAN - no biggie, $20 bucks....
Lose a copy of AGUIRRE, THE WRATH OF GOD - that's gonna cost you $100!!

I really miss those days. I used to love my mum taking me up to the video store on Friday nights and letting me run wild as a young teenager. I used to raid the bottom shelves of all the trashy teen films and slasher movies and my mates and I would spend the weekend "it was closed Sundays" watching guts, gore and boobs. I discovered so many films I still love to this day. Even in adult years before Blockbuster finally closed down I would raid the same shelves discovering films like Dazed and Confused, Mallrats/Clerks, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me and many more that completely bypassed the cinemas here in the UK. Now its all down to downloads and there just isn't the same feeling of finding that hidden gem with a cool cover tucked away in the darkest depths of the local rental store. I admit that when tapes got to the stage the local store would sell them as their rental time was up I bought loads as many were either too expensive to purchase, or in the case of many not available at the time at all.

I really miss those days. I used to love my mum taking me up to the video store on Friday nights and letting me run wild as a young teenager. I used to raid the bottom shelves of all the trashy teen films and slasher movies and my mates and I would spend the weekend "it was closed Sundays" watching guts, gore and boobs. I discovered so many films I still love to this day. Even in adult years before Blockbuster finally closed down I would raid the same shelves discovering films like Dazed and Confused, Mallrats/Clerks, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me and many more that completely bypassed the cinemas here in the UK. Now its all down to downloads and there just isn't the same feeling of finding that hidden gem with a cool cover tucked away in the darkest depths of the local rental store. I admit that when tapes got to the stage the local store would sell them as their rental time was up I bought loads as many were either too expensive to purchase, or in the case of many not available at the time at all.
I even remember the distinctive sound of a clamshell snapping open and closed. Good times, indeed! My best friend and I used to have slasher movie marathons and scare ourselves to death LOL

Reactions: psychoscot
I even remember the distinctive sound of a clamshell snapping open and closed. Good times, indeed! My best friend and I used to have slasher movie marathons and scare ourselves to death LOL

LOL! those were the days! looking back at some of the horror films now they were so tame compared to some of the films now being made, but yeah they scared the cr*p outa my mates and I too! :rofl:

LOL! those were the days! looking back at some of the horror films now they were so tame compared to some of the films now being made, but yeah they scared the cr*p outa my mates and I too! :rofl:
Yeah my daughter watches some the classics i talk about and just thinks they are cheesy or corny and not scary at all.

• Thanks
Reactions: Mr.Vorhees
would love to read the article in full but holy moly that site sucks and goes crazy slowing down my whole cpu no matter what browser .. tons of page errors.

Oh what a nice nostalgic thread.
Yep, i've been there too. Used to collect tons of VHS as a kid. I also used to LOVE when my parents went with me to the videostore, it always took me ages to choose a movie or two. All those awesome coverarts to chose from.
Hm if i think about it, that might be a huge aspect why i'm so much into steelbook collecting now. Good movies in a stunning PQ and awesome coverarts. A nostalgic hobby that continues.

Reactions: digitalbabe
Oh what a nice nostalgic thread.
Yep, i've been there too. Used to collect tons of VHS as a kid. I also used to LOVE when my parents went with me to the videostore, it always took me ages to choose a movie or two. All those awesome coverarts to chose from.
Hm if i think about it, that might be a huge aspect why i'm so much into steelbook collecting now. Good movies in a stunning PQ and awesome coverarts. A nostalgic hobby that continues.
I was reminded of buying the Alien triple pack at a store called Suncoast video which no longer exists. Happy days, haha!

• Thanks
Reactions: Mr.Vorhees