3D movies - making a comeback, whatya think?

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
So summer last year they announced building like another 5,000 movie theaters capable of 3D and it seems to be making a strong comeback. Any of you guys siked to see movies like this? What's your overall thought on the matter?

I remember I wanted to see beowulf bad in 3D but never got around to it. I think its cool and adds more value to movie theaters and I'm sure the kids love it, mine enjoyed Nightmare before xmas in 3D ... I didnt.

Personally, I'd just like to have the extra cheese around to buy myself the 3D pack to add to my DLP since its 3D ready ... its like $330 or something for everything, Its just not been a big concern for me ... higher priorities in my HT to buy :p Like some Monitor 70s or something.

I saw Superman Returns on 3D :) it was cool!! I sure hope they pick cool movies to do this with and not just some damn Hannah Montana on 3D ya'll for Wreck and Darth to see lol

I seen my bloody valentine in 3-D. It looked cool and all, but depending on the movie I wouldn't want to see all my movies in 3-D. They don't look as sharp and crisp as a regular movie. The main area where you are focusing yeah, but the background and surroundings seemed a bit blurry or not as sharped as would be on regular film.

altho Journey to the Center of the Earth is just another horrible Brandon Fraser performance i did acvtually love watching it on BD in 3-D. It's the best looking 3D i have ever seen on a TV set. I've had many old VHS 3D movies and a couple DVD but none seemed to grasp the effect properly. Blu-ray does, that's for sure. It was pretty cool. looking forward to seeing more 3D movies from the past get released, especially Friday the 13th Part 3. Hell I might even buy Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone on BD if they released it 3D.

BDA Creates Task Force to Integrate 3-D into Blu-ray

Blu-ray Disc The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has formed a 3-D task force made up of members from the motion picture, consumer electronics and IT sectors, to ease “the integration of 3-D technology into the Blu-ray Disc format,” according to a statement from the group. A meeting timetable for the task force has not been specified.

The large capacity of Blu-ray makes it an ideal medium to store advanced 3-D content. However, there are currently no standards for displaying 3-D at home with theater-like quality, and thus current home video presentations use the inferior anaglyph system (based on two-color glasses).

More and more studios see 3-D as a boon for Blu-ray. For example, Disney's 'Jonas Brothers: The 3-D Concert Experience' will only be available in 3-D on Blu-ray, whereas the DVD will only feature the 2-D version.

“Blu-ray Disc is the ideal platform for bringing 3D technology to mainstream home entertainment,” said the BDA in a statement. “The format has been widely embraced by consumers, and the 1080p picture quality and overall experience have become the standards against which all other high-definition delivery platforms are measured. Blu-ray Disc's capacity, flexibility and incomparable picture quality coupled with the activities of the BDA's 3D task force sets the stage for a 3D home entertainment specification that establishes another industry standard and enables an in-home 3D consumer experience unmatched by any other delivery mechanism,” said the BDA in the statement.

Last year, Panasonic had submitted a proposal for a 3-D standard, which required the use of special glasses to convert two separate 1080i60 video streams into one 1080p24 3-D image.

Source: blu-ray.com

i am guessing most of you havent been to see any theatre movies released in 3D at all,
Journey to the center of the earth was lame, but the 3D effects more than made up for it
i saw Beowolf in 3D, there really wasnt that much i could tell about that movie
i saw Coraline in 3D, that was pretty cool but not much in 3D
then i saw Monsters versu Aliens in 3D, OMG, that movie was great, best 3D effects ever, so far,..........if none of you saw it, you missed a terrific movie
how many of you are gonna see the new Harry Potter movie? guess what? it is also gonna be in 3d and IMAX 3D, which is the one i will go and see, lol

now, listen closely, James Cameron is working on a movie called Avatar, and it is not the Anime come to life by M. Knight Shamalon, now James Cameron has been working on this movie for a long time, maybe almost 5 years now, he first mentioned he is going to make it 3D, and maybe 3D without us having to wear glasses, will have to wait and see about this one, i think it is supposed to be released next year, and i cant wait

now, as for blu ray 3D, if it is 3D like in the theatres, wearing the ray bans, then yes for me, but the blue and red cellophane glasses? fawgetaboutit lol

right now i am gaming in 3D with the Nvidia 3D glasses and the 22inch monitor
and the games that i am playing look awesome in 3D, i dont play all the time in 3D, but when i do, wow, what a treat...............
thats my 2 cents lol
so i say Yes, bring on the 3D...................:scat: :scat:

i am guessing most of you havent been to see any theatre movies released in 3D at all,
Journey to the center of the earth was lame, but the 3D effects more than made up for it
i saw Beowolf in 3D, there really wasnt that much i could tell about that movie
i saw Coraline in 3D, that was pretty cool but not much in 3D
then i saw Monsters versu Aliens in 3D, OMG, that movie was great, best 3D effects ever, so far,..........if none of you saw it, you missed a terrific movie
how many of you are gonna see the new Harry Potter movie? guess what? it is also gonna be in 3d and IMAX 3D, which is the one i will go and see, lol

now, listen closely, James Cameron is working on a movie called Avatar, and it is not the Anime come to life by M. Knight Shamalon, now James Cameron has been working on this movie for a long time, maybe almost 5 years now, he first mentioned he is going to make it 3D, and maybe 3D without us having to wear glasses, will have to wait and see about this one, i think it is supposed to be released next year, and i cant wait

now, as for blu ray 3D, if it is 3D like in the theatres, wearing the ray bans, then yes for me, but the blue and red cellophane glasses? fawgetaboutit lol

right now i am gaming in 3D with the Nvidia 3D glasses and the 22inch monitor
and the games that i am playing look awesome in 3D, i dont play all the time in 3D, but when i do, wow, what a treat...............
thats my 2 cents lol
so i say Yes, bring on the 3D...................:scat: :scat:

Avatar comes out a week before christmas, this year. and people who have seen stuff from it are blowin' away by it.