Horror-Theatrical 47 Meters Down - In theaters June 16, 2017

kaw

Pop!/Movies/TV Mod
Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: 47 Meters Down (2017)

Tagline: No way out. No way up. No chance in hell.

Genre: Thriller, Horror

Director: Johannes Roberts

Cast: Claire Holt, Mandy Moore, Chris Johnson, Yani Gellman, Santiago Segura, Matthew Modine, Axel Mansella, Mayra Juárez

Release: 2017-05-11

Runtime: 89

Plot: Two sisters on Mexican vacation are trapped in a shark observation cage at the bottom of the ocean, with oxygen running low and great whites circling nearby, they have less than an hour of air left to figure out how to get to the surface.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and Flloydo
This looks better than the shallows but i think it might be a bit too intense.

Something about the deep dark ocean that just freaks me out. Oh and sharks

47 METERS DOWN (2017)

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

I feel like this film has received a lot of unwarranted flack. I wasn't expecting a lot when I watched the film. I figured that it was going to be a B-movie trying to get some quick cash off of the backend of THE SHALLOWS' successful run (it was supposed to go direct-to-video a year prior as IN THE DEEP, after all). That said, I know that Mandy Moore is a capable actress and I've truly enjoyed Claire Holt on both The Vampire Diaries and The Originals, so I assumed that it wasn't going to be that bad.

And it wasn't. In fact, it was actually really, really good.

The chemistry between both Moore and Holt is great and it was a pleasant surprise to see Matthew Modine as the captain who takes them out cage diving. The pacing of the film was pretty great and the runtime was spot-on. The sharks look phenomenal! Truly, the visual effect masterminds behind this film deserve a round of applause because the Great Whites in 47 METERS DOWN are probably the best sharks I've ever seen on film.

For actual divers, I'm sure they'll despise this film as the science is probably way off. Even as a non-diver, I could tell that a little more research should've probably went into the film. There's a twist 3/4 through the film that may catch some people off guard, but I saw it coming (though that didn't really ruin the effect of it all for me).

47 METERS DOWN is more of a survival film with the occasional shark than a straight-up "the sharks are gonna getcha!" film. It's dark, lonely, empty... horrifying. Moore and Holt play the tension perfectly and in more occasions than once I felt like I was watching GRAVITY underwater.

I was originally going to give this film 3-1/2 Ninjas, but I decided to up it to 4 after I spent the majority of today still thinking about the film after watching it last night. If a film can linger in my mind like that, that's a very good thing. If you enjoy suspense/thrillers and/or shark films, ignore Rotten Tomatoes and make your own opinion by checking out this film. It's worth it alone for the stunning visual effects.

---------

@kaw @Flloydo I'm afraid of sharks, so I once thought that if I went cage diving, maybe I could overcome my fears. After this, it'll be a long time before I even go near a boat in the ocean again.

47 METERS DOWN (2017)

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

I feel like this film has received a lot of unwarranted flack. I wasn't expecting a lot when I watched the film. I figured that it was going to be a B-movie trying to get some quick cash off of the backend of THE SHALLOWS' successful run (it was supposed to go direct-to-video a year prior as IN THE DEEP, after all). That said, I know that Mandy Moore is a capable actress and I've truly enjoyed Claire Holt on both The Vampire Diaries and The Originals, so I assumed that it wasn't going to be that bad.

And it wasn't. In fact, it was actually really, really good.

The chemistry between both Moore and Holt is great and it was a pleasant surprise to see Matthew Modine as the captain who takes them out cage diving. The pacing of the film was pretty great and the runtime was spot-on. The sharks look phenomenal! Truly, the visual effect masterminds behind this film deserve a round of applause because the Great Whites in 47 METERS DOWN are probably the best sharks I've ever seen on film.

For actual divers, I'm sure they'll despise this film as the science is probably way off. Even as a non-diver, I could tell that a little more research should've probably went into the film. There's a twist 3/4 through the film that may catch some people off guard, but I saw it coming (though that didn't really ruin the effect of it all for me).

47 METERS DOWN is more of a survival film with the occasional shark than a straight-up "the sharks are gonna getcha!" film. It's dark, lonely, empty... horrifying. Moore and Holt play the tension perfectly and in more occasions than once I felt like I was watching GRAVITY underwater.

I was originally going to give this film 3-1/2 Ninjas, but I decided to up it to 4 after I spent the majority of today still thinking about the film after watching it last night. If a film can linger in my mind like that, that's a very good thing. If you enjoy suspense/thrillers and/or shark films, ignore Rotten Tomatoes and make your own opinion by checking out this film. It's worth it alone for the stunning visual effects.

---------

@kaw @Flloydo I'm afraid of sharks, so I once thought that if I went cage diving, maybe I could overcome my fears. After this, it'll be a long time before I even go near a boat in the ocean again.

Pretty much agree with all you said. I watched it a while back and was happy with the outcome. Very lonely and dark film like you say. Was expecting less (maybe because of Mandy Moore)

I hear there is a sequel in the works

Not sure how or why though (in terms of where the story goes) due to its haunting ending

Have you seen wind river? I recommend it. Loved it

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database