"4K does not have the same impact..."

DMD4k

QuoteMaster® & GIFGuru®
Premium Supporter
Mar 12, 2018
Spain
Starting a new thread so that I don't get on the mod's nerves replying out of topic.
I'm going to use a quote from paulboland to illustrate my point, I'm not calling him out in particular, it's just an example.
I haven't been here long but I notice a trend every few topics or posts a lot of users are putting the 4K format down for some reason or another. I'd truly like to know why? If it's just a case of "I've just spent a few grand in a 3D TV a couple of years ago and now they've dropped the format, so I'm going to wait it out and get into 4K later on" then I can understand that. Otherwise I don't.
If you haven't demoed a 4K TV with true 4K content do yourself a favour and go demo one, you won't regret it.

Anyways...
4K does not have the same impact of going from DVD to Blu-ray or Vhs to DVD

WRONG

There was a very significant improvement going from VHS to DVD.
There was a 6x/5x (depending on US/EU markets) resolution improvement going from DVD to BD.
While it's true that going from BD to an evolution of BD, UHD/4K BD, is an improvement of "only" 4x, there's one thing that isn't normally taken into account: HDR. It's not all about math. I'd argue 4x increase in resolution + HDR is almost as big a quality jump as going from DVD to BD was. But even if HDR wasn't taken into account 4x is still perfectly noticeable at a normal viewing distance. I for one love the format because who ever said "Oh, I wish I could see Pacific Rim: Uprising in VHS"?
One additional benefit of the larger capacity disc vs standard BD is (usually) you get better audio options. That's quite important for me as well, not sure if you appreciate that aspect of it. Audio is a big part of the whole film watching experience as we all know.

I guess I'll just get flamed or maybe a few of you agree with me. If you are against an improvement in video resolution (and audio for that matter) please state why, don't be shy. Help me understand :)

Reactions: Nightcrawler
Starting a new thread so that I don't get on the mod's nerves replying out of topic.
I'm going to use a quote from paulboland to illustrate my point, I'm not calling him out in particular, it's just an example.
I haven't been here long but I notice a trend every few topics or posts a lot of users are putting the 4K format down for some reason or another. I'd truly like to know why? If it's just a case of "I've just spent a few grand in a 3D TV a couple of years ago and now they've dropped the format, so I'm going to wait it out and get into 4K later on" then I can understand that. Otherwise I don't.
If you haven't demoed a 4K TV with true 4K content do yourself a favour and go demo one, you won't regret it.

Anyways...

giphy.gif

There was a very significant improvement going from VHS to DVD.
There was a 6x/5x (depending on US/EU markets) resolution improvement going from DVD to BD.
While it's true that going from BD to an evolution of BD, UHD/4K BD, is an improvement of "only" 4x, there's one thing that isn't normally taken into account: HDR. It's not all about math. I'd argue 4x increase in resolution + HDR is almost as big a quality jump as going from DVD to BD was. But even if HDR wasn't taken into account 4x is still perfectly noticeable at a normal viewing distance. I for one love the format because who ever said "Oh, I wish I could see Pacific Rim: Uprising in VHS"?
One additional benefit of the larger capacity disc vs standard BD is (usually) you get better audio options. That's quite important for me as well, not sure if you appreciate that aspect of it. Audio is a big part of the whole film watching experience as we all know.

I guess I'll just get flamed or maybe a few of you agree with me. If you are against an improvement in video resolution (and audio for that matter) please state why, don't be shy. Help me understand :)
You got my post mixed up
The sales increase of DVD was huge due to the improvement of picture quality over VHS and ability to add bonus extras on a Disc
DVD to Blu-ray was also a big improvement as it improved picture quality and added ability to add more bonus extras content

Blu-ray to 4K in most homes on Tv's 32" to 42" it does not have the same impact as going from Vhs to Blu-ray
This is why a lot of consumers not upgraded to purchasing 4K UHD discs
4K UHD also don't include extras on the Discs

Most consumers who purchase physical discs are happy enough with Blu-ray and DVD
There is also still a lot of consumers purchasing DVD's

Last year, revenue from disc sales was down 14% to $4.7 billion dollars, following a 10% decline in 2016, according to trade organization Digital Entertainment Group (DEG). Blu-ray has never managed to replace DVD and despite UHD Blu-ray’s early success it brought in a meager $147 million dollars of revenue last year.

Streaming services make a lot more than 4K UHD does by a huge amount
Consumers are instead flocking to streaming services, more specifically subscription based streaming services such as Amazon and Netflix. These types of services typically license catalog titles from studios but have also starting producing their own movies.

Last year, subscription streaming (SVOD) expanded 30% to reach $9.5 billion in revenue in the US alone. In addition, consumers spent $2 billion to purchase digital movies through services such as iTunes and Vudu plus $1.9 billion to rent movies online.
That's USA alone not taking into account Europe and Asia

Ok. So your point is 4K is bad on physical media but great if viewed from a streaming service? And it's either bad or great depending on what studios revenue is? Why can't it be an improvement or not based on our own eyesight? If I can perceive a better image, more detail, better colors, richer textures, etc. for a couple more €/$, why wouldn't I?
I not only own 4K physical media but also capable of streaming 4K via Netflix and Amazon (no other services in my country for now). If you do as well, you'll agree that streaming, while good, doesn't/can't hold a candle to physical media.

But this thread is not supposed to be about physical media vs streaming. It's about UHD vs HD and whether you, me or anyone else thinks it's not worth going further than HD.

4K BDs are normally bundled with standard BD, and that's where the extra content can be found, it's not that hard to swap out a disc. Are you saying 4K BDs aren't a big hit because the extras are not in 4K resolution???? Unless I've misunderstood you, again, you seem to think BD is good enough for feature films, so why isn't full HD resolution good enough for extras?

If 4K BD isn't mainstream right now is because it's still fairly new. It will be mainstream in a few years if given a chance. Just like DVDs weren't mainstream initially nor were BD. My point is 4K resolution is noticeably better than standard BD, why anyone would purposefully avoid it is beyond me, just as long as proper equipment, TV size, viewing distance, etc. were good enough to perceive a difference. And I believe for the average household 4K is an improvement. I do see your point AFTER 4K though.

P.S. Are 32" TV still being sold? lol J/k

Ok. So your point is 4K is bad on physical media but great if viewed from a streaming service? And it's either bad or great depending on what studios revenue is? Why can't it be an improvement or not based on our own eyesight? If I can perceive a better image, more detail, better colors, richer textures, etc. for a couple more €/$, why wouldn't I?
I not only own 4K physical media but also capable of streaming 4K via Netflix and Amazon (no other services in my country for now). If you do as well, you'll agree that streaming, while good, doesn't/can't hold a candle to physical media.

But this thread is not supposed to be about physical media vs streaming. It's about UHD vs HD and whether you, me or anyone else thinks it's not worth going further than HD.

4K BDs are normally bundled with standard BD, and that's where the extra content can be found, it's not that hard to swap out a disc. Are you saying 4K BDs aren't a big hit because the extras are not in 4K resolution???? Unless I've misunderstood you, again, you seem to think BD is good enough for feature films, so why isn't full HD resolution good enough for extras?

If 4K BD isn't mainstream right now is because it's still fairly new. It will be mainstream in a few years if given a chance. Just like DVDs weren't mainstream initially nor were BD. My point is 4K resolution is noticeably better than standard BD, why anyone would purposefully avoid it is beyond me, just as long as proper equipment, TV size, viewing distance, etc. were good enough to perceive a difference. And I believe for the average household 4K is an improvement. I do see your point AFTER 4K though.

P.S. Are 32" TV still being sold? lol J/k
You got it again mixed up

Most consumers who purchase Dvd or Blu-ray are happy enough with picture and sound quality and also like the extras that are on Dvd and Blu-ray discs so why pay extra for 4K UHD when they don't need it

It's cheaper to purchase a 2D Blu-ray only release and still provides good picture quality and a lot have chosen to stream on-line as that's even a cheaper option

4K UHD will never see huge sales with the streaming options that are available

Consumers don't want to pay high prices now and is why 4K UHD sales have dropped and never taken off fully compared to DVD or Blu-ray

A lot of consumers purchase a new Blu-ray release of same film they already have in their collection on Blu-ray or DVD because it has new extras on a release

Sales of DVD and Blu-ray have declined due to increased use of streaming services and will continue
4K UHD sales are tiny compared to Blu-ray and DVD and will get worse as more go with streaming services option

You will still have hardcore video/audio consumers who want the latest tech purchasing 4K UHD Discs and later also purchasing 8K Tv's when released but 4K UHD it will never reach the level of sales that was seen with DVD and Blu-ray

4K UHD not having extras on the discs is a big mistake

I often purchase as do others a Blu-ray release just because of the extras on a disc
Some releases it was only because it included new extras even though my previous Blu-ray has same film picture quality

A lot who even have purchased 4K TV's be it 42" or 55" have not purchased 4K UHD Discs as they are happy enough with Blu-ray and also use streaming services
Most 4K Tv's from 2017 can't play 3D and is why in USA 3D has been dropped by most film distributors it's only Europe and Asia that kept 3D Discs for now but that will likely change also

Last edited:
For me I have 4K and yes there is a definate improvement. I don't have a huge TV but the HDR is what really makes the difference. Is the jump to Blu-ray to UHD as big as the VHS to Blu-ray, not for me. I am a 4K fan, I think the big problem is Blu-rays already look excellent. I do buy 4K discs but unless the quality is top notch or it's a film I love the Blu-ray is usually enough.
That said I hope 4K continues to grow and prices continue to fall as there is no doubt it is the best quality format out there.

For me I have 4K and yes there is a definate improvement. I don't have a huge TV but the HDR is what really makes the difference. Is the jump to Blu-ray to UHD as big as the VHS to Blu-ray, not for me. I am a 4K fan, I think the big problem is Blu-rays already look excellent. I do buy 4K discs but unless the quality is top notch or it's a film I love the Blu-ray is usually enough.
That said I hope 4K continues to grow and prices continue to fall as there is no doubt it is the best quality format out there.
If film distributors want decent sales of 4K UHD they are going to have to drop prices a lot
It's not like when upgrading from DVD to Blu-ray prices yes it was also expensive at first but it did not take long for the prices to drop

There not much of an incentive for most consumers to purchase 4K UHD's especially with the high prices and that Blu-ray already offers decent picture and sound quality

Streaming services has had a huge impact on Dvd and Blu-ray sales lot more than likes of us would notice who purchase physical discs as collectors as we are the ones still purchasing.

Unfortunately the collectors on HDN and other web forums are not enough to keep sales going over the long term

There is an increase of sales of 4K Tv's but a lot are not purchasing 4K UHD discs they are mostly still purchasing Blu-ray or DVD and using the streaming apps on the tv's

Film distributors putting 4K discs in 3D/2D steelbooks and increasing the price a lot are risking loss of sales that they would have got compared to when it was just 2D/3D Steelbooks at ok prices

If they really want to push 4K UHD they going to have to be very creative and drop the price a lot yes the profit margin will be lower but they will get more sales at lower prices as a result

4K UHD though will never get the sales like we have seen in the past with DVD and Blu-ray due to lot have stopped purchasing physical discs and embraced streaming instead

Yes streaming not as good as Blu-ray or 4K UHD but it's lot cheaper and average user don't mind and to be honest some of the quality on likes of Netflix is very good
Broadband speeds are increasing now in lot of areas to cope with streaming in HD and 4K
It's easy to access at monthly fee and can be used on a range of devices

Last edited:
If film distributors want decent sales of 4K UHD they are going to have to drop prices a lot
It's not like when upgrading from DVD to Blu-ray prices yes it was also expensive at first but it did not take long for the prices to drop

There not much of an incentive for most consumers to purchase 4K UHD's especially with the high prices and that Blu-ray already offers decent picture and sound quality

Streaming services has had a huge impact on Dvd and Blu-ray sales lot more than likes of us would notice who purchase physical discs as collectors as we are the ones still purchasing.

Unfortunately the collectors on HDN and other web forums are not enough to keep sales going over the long term

There is an increase of sales of 4K Tv's but a lot are not purchasing 4K UHD discs they are mostly still purchasing Blu-ray or DVD and using the streaming apps on the tv's

Film distributors putting 4K discs in 3D/2D steelbooks and increasing the price a lot are risking loss of sales that they would have got compared to when it was just 2D/3D Steelbooks at ok prices

If they really want to push 4K UHD they going to have to be very creative and drop the price a lot yes the profit margin will be lower but they will get more sales at lower prices as a result

4K UHD though will never get the sales like we have seen in the past with DVD and Blu-ray due to lot have stopped purchasing physical discs and embraced streaming instead

Yes streaming not as good as Blu-ray or 4K UHD but it's lot cheaper and average user don't mind and to be honest some of the quality on likes of Netflix is very good
Broadband speeds are increasing now in lot of areas to cope with streaming in HD and 4K
It's easy to access at monthly fee and can be used on a range of devices
I agree as far as streaming goes, a lot of people don't care about having the best quality and enjoy the convenience of streaming. All the disc formats are going to struggle if steaming carries on getting more and more popular.
I agree as far as prices as well, 4K UHD discs are too expensive at the moment. People won't pay £5 or £10 more for the 4K the same way a lot of people don't pay the extra to go from DVD to Blu-rays. You can get sonf decent deals on 4K if you look for offers but there aren't enough of them at the moment.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: paulboland
The biggest problem is price and confusion. While that may not be the case or that bad of the case for the likes of folks who chat on this subject matter on any of these forums since we care and like this type of stuff, but for your everyday joe blow if you tell him he has to 1) upgrade to a new TV (despite falling tv prices) 2) buy a new blu-ray player (4k) and if he wants the full on experience he needs 3) a capable receiver, speakers, etc. and 4) make sure your tv can handle HDR and/or Dolby Vision or HDR10 and then 5) every Company competing boasts their proprietary technology as opposed to one laid out agreement for all. So not only is their OLED tv's but then there are folks like Samsung with QLED (more confusion) and then their is Ultra HD Premium already being boasted when Joe Blow hasnt even begun to undertand or comprehend any of it already. Ultra HD Premium you will now see logo etc. on Ultra HD Blu-ray Releases that in a nutshell meet the standards to claim that label.

DVD was dvd and despite importing etc. any national DVD played in any dvd player on any tv ... thus it was dumbed down , easy, and easily recognizable and why in America DVDs are still sold in every wal-mart cause Joe Blow from the country doesnt care and even if he has blu-ray he still calls them dvds. lol. I see it all the time.

Nothing will stop the streaming train as its the simple dumbed down easy and convenient option that appeals to all. I will always prefer disc , but even a disc die hard such as myself because of the exclusive new content they produce if its a show i want to watch I will be subscribed to watch it cause its cheap.

4k will be last viable physical format (which btw its not a new format, its still Blu-ray as quoted by UHD alliance themselves) and if 8k ever were to grace discs then it will be the most super niche format ever. the SACD, DVD-A and the HD mp3 downloads of the world. uber niche, likely to not succeed. I would be absolutely floored to see it ever happen in my lifetime in consumer form. Just dont see that happening. (cause the content owners, studios, dont want it)

You got it again mixed up
That must be it! Obviously. I'm trying to keep the debate to 4K vs HD, not necessarily relating it to physical media, just the actual resolution. You're the one constantly mentioning either streaming or physical media.

paulboland said:
Most consumers who purchase Dvd or Blu-ray are happy enough with picture and sound quality and also like the extras that are on Dvd and Blu-ray discs so why pay extra for 4K UHD when they don't need it
Fair enough. That CAN change though, all that needs to happen is time to pass so media can be cheaper, TV sets can be cheaper, etc.

paulboland said:
It's cheaper to purchase a 2D Blu-ray only release and still provides good picture quality and a lot have chosen to stream on-line as that's even a cheaper option
So what if BD provide good picture quality? I'm not saying it doesn't. But there's no arguing 4K offers a better experience, both visual as well as aural. When DVD first came about VHS provided pretty good picture quality (for what we were used to back then), and DVDs provided a better picture quality. Similar situation now with BD and UHD BD.

paulboland said:
4K UHD will never see huge sales with the streaming options that are available
Maybe you're right. But again, this is NOT a streaming vs physical media debate.

paulboland said:
Consumers don't want to pay high prices now and is why 4K UHD sales have dropped and never taken off fully compared to DVD or Blu-ray
LOL Have consumers ever wanted to pay high prices? Answer this, when DVDs first reached the market, were they more expensive than the VHS equivalent? How about BDs? Were they the same price as the equivalent DVD of the time? Did any of that impede DVDs to be the popular media for their time? How about BD currently? Please use sensible arguments.

paulboland said:
A lot of consumers purchase a new Blu-ray release of same film they already have in their collection on Blu-ray or DVD because it has new extras on a release
Maybe so, I don't know, I don't personally know a large percentage of worldwide consumers to support or deny your claim. It's still irrelevant. If consumers double dip because of a couple of new extras on a disc which they already have a previous version of, then it may be reasonable to assume those same consumers would double dip moreso for a better quality image of that same movie they already have. I see no reason why not unless you mean to say they'd rather download it and store it in the cloud. But once again, that's a streaming vs physical media issue.

paulboland said:
Sales of DVD and Blu-ray have declined due to increased use of streaming services and will continue
4K UHD sales are tiny compared to Blu-ray and DVD and will get worse as more go with streaming services option
Ok, so basically all physical media sales are down, not just 4K. Well, it's up to the consumers if we want physical media to stick around then. I know I prefer it to streaming. But not what this debate is about.

paulboland said:
You will still have hardcore video/audio consumers who want the latest tech purchasing 4K UHD Discs and later also purchasing 8K Tv's when released but 4K UHD it will never reach the level of sales that was seen with DVD and Blu-ray
Ok.

paulboland said:
4K UHD not having extras on the discs is a big mistake
I don't mind it at all. Most 4K are not sold by themselvs. Extras are included in a BD, so if I feel like watching those I can get my lazy ass off the couch and switch discs. Or those that have 2 or more players can just insert both discs on separate players before playing any of them, and when done watching the film, turn that player off, turn the one with the extras on. Done. Don't even have to get up for that. Awesome those extras! According to you that's basically what the whole HD vs 4K revolves around them. I like them too, but come on!

paulboland said:
I often purchase as do others a Blu-ray release just because of the extras on a disc
Some releases it was only because it included new extras even though my previous Blu-ray has same film picture quality
And do you think that is the general rule? Or are you in the minority, just as those that have already made the switch to 4K? Because you were using the 4K market's small numbers as not representing the general market, yet you purchase multiple discs because of a new extra. Surely that is not very common at all outside of the die-hard collectors.

paulboland said:
A lot who even have purchased 4K TV's be it 42" or 55" have not purchased 4K UHD Discs as they are happy enough with Blu-ray and also use streaming services
I have no clue if that's true or not. It might be. Silly if you ask me, but possible I guess, to have a TV capable of reproducing a better quality image and the user not taking advantage of that. I would hope that's a minority of 4K tv users.

paulboland said:
Most 4K Tv's from 2017 can't play 3D and is why in USA 3D has been dropped by most film distributors it's only Europe and Asia that kept 3D Discs for now but that will likely change also
What's your point? I have nothing against 3D per se. I wouldn't mind it if manufacturers kept on producing 4K 3D TVs. Are you suggesting 3D users are hung up on HD TVs because they can't watch 3D media on a 4K TV? Is that really what's holding 4K from taking off in numbers?

Doesn’t help that most 4K discs are upscaled and Not genuine 4K
True. There are quite a few that are upscaled from 2K. But there are plenty that aren't. Still 2K is twice as good as HD. Also, even those are still treated to HDR/DV and most will have better audio. All that adds to a better viewing experience, for me at least.

Reactions: falseface
For me I have 4K and yes there is a definate improvement. I don't have a huge TV but the HDR is what really makes the difference.
Agreed, I think it's a combination of both though. It all helps. HDR is quite noticeable if done right if you go back to a version without it.
Sigill said:
Is the jump to Blu-ray to UHD as big as the VHS to Blu-ray, not for me.
For me either. In fairness that's a 2 media jump. I don't think I said that in the OP. I meant to say similar to a jump from DVD to BD. Would you agree with that? Sort of?
Sigill"I am a 4K fan said:
Agreed.

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill
Agreed, I think it's a combination of both though. It all helps. HDR is quite noticeable if done right if you go back to a version without it.
For me either. In fairness that's a 2 media jump. I don't think I said that in the OP. I meant to say similar to a jump from DVD to BD. Would you agree with that? Sort of?
Agreed.
I think with a well done 4K disc there is a big jump from the Blu-ray. Again it's the HDR for me that really makes the difference especially in dark scenes. I would say it's less than the DVD to Blu-ray difference but it's definatly there.
I think it's most noticeable when you watch a 4K disc and then go back to the Blu-ray, the Blu-ray can look softer and washed out.

That must be it! Obviously. I'm trying to keep the debate to 4K vs HD, not necessarily relating it to physical media, just the actual resolution. You're the one constantly mentioning either streaming or physical media.

Fair enough. That CAN change though, all that needs to happen is time to pass so media can be cheaper, TV sets can be cheaper, etc.

So what if BD provide good picture quality? I'm not saying it doesn't. But there's no arguing 4K offers a better experience, both visual as well as aural. When DVD first came about VHS provided pretty good picture quality (for what we were used to back then), and DVDs provided a better picture quality. Similar situation now with BD and UHD BD.

Maybe you're right. But again, this is NOT a streaming vs physical media debate.

LOL Have consumers ever wanted to pay high prices? Answer this, when DVDs first reached the market, were they more expensive than the VHS equivalent? How about BDs? Were they the same price as the equivalent DVD of the time? Did any of that impede DVDs to be the popular media for their time? How about BD currently? Please use sensible arguments.

Maybe so, I don't know, I don't personally know a large percentage of worldwide consumers to support or deny your claim. It's still irrelevant. If consumers double dip because of a couple of new extras on a disc which they already have a previous version of, then it may be reasonable to assume those same consumers would double dip moreso for a better quality image of that same movie they already have. I see no reason why not unless you mean to say they'd rather download it and store it in the cloud. But once again, that's a streaming vs physical media issue.

Ok, so basically all physical media sales are down, not just 4K. Well, it's up to the consumers if we want physical media to stick around then. I know I prefer it to streaming. But not what this debate is about.

Ok.

I don't mind it at all. Most 4K are not sold by themselvs. Extras are included in a BD, so if I feel like watching those I can get my lazy ass off the couch and switch discs. Or those that have 2 or more players can just insert both discs on separate players before playing any of them, and when done watching the film, turn that player off, turn the one with the extras on. Done. Don't even have to get up for that. Awesome those extras! According to you that's basically what the whole HD vs 4K revolves around them. I like them too, but come on!

And do you think that is the general rule? Or are you in the minority, just as those that have already made the switch to 4K? Because you were using the 4K market's small numbers as not representing the general market, yet you purchase multiple discs because of a new extra. Surely that is not very common at all outside of the die-hard collectors.

I have no clue if that's true or not. It might be. Silly if you ask me, but possible I guess, to have a TV capable of reproducing a better quality image and the user not taking advantage of that. I would hope that's a minority of 4K tv users.

What's your point? I have nothing against 3D per se. I wouldn't mind it if manufacturers kept on producing 4K 3D TVs. Are you suggesting 3D users are hung up on HD TVs because they can't watch 3D media on a 4K TV? Is that really what's holding 4K from taking off in numbers?
Unit sales of 4K UHD Discs is what will decide if it's a success or failure or the coming years
It's not about how many homes have a 4K TV as that will increase over the years anyway as thats what shops will be selling with later been 8K TV's been purchased instead.

4K TV and 4K UHD Players and 4K UHD Discs are different products it's how they are been used that counts
You can have a 4K Tv and 4K UHD Player in your home have not a need to purchase 4K UHD Discs
Streaming is a big part of 4K Tv's ability and is used a lot now
A lot of consumers have 4K UHD player but use Dvd and Blu-ray in them instead of 4K UHD discs

Sony decided to not put 4K UHD player in Playstation 4 Pro
They have gone with 4K streaming ability instead with PlayStation 4 Pro
Playstation 3 when first released is what helped customers decide to go from DVD to Blu-ray in a big way
That has not happened this time around Sony must have seen good reason not to

4K UHD has been around now since 2016 and initially have decent looking sales for a new format and actually exceeded industry expectations at the time and was even better take up than Blu-ray when first released
2 years later the expected sales have not increased as hoped in comparison consumers going from DVD to Blu-ray over the same period

A lot of homes in next 10 years will have 4K Tv's it's how they are been used that matters
Streaming has had a huge impact on sales of all formats DVD/Blu-ray/4K UHD
This is a big part of the reason for the decline in purchases of physical discs with 4K UHD been affected as a result

The younger generation have embraced streaming in a big way it's them that will becoming adults and have children and so on

Don't be surprised to see likes of UK Premier League Football end up with Amazon or Netflix or similar streaming service in the future

As for us collectors liking physical discs format that may be scarce option in later years

2K does not mean twice as good as HD

4K (aka. UHD) = 2160p
2K (aka. HD) = 1080p
I always thought 2k was greater resolution than 1080p. I can't check it right now. Either way you're right, I was wrong to say 2k is twice as good as hd.

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing
I used to work at a store called FYE and in the topic right below this thread here I made a post about the typical customer that came into the store. My reply was almost 4 years ago and it might still hold true. I no longer work in the retail movie industry but man, people would buy DVDs priced at 19.99 vs blu-rays (with DVDs) priced at 24.99 ALL the time when I worked there. No one really cared about blu-rays and I assume the same holds true for 4K discs. They want the cheapest no matter what.

I love 4k movies, the HDR is amazing; my whole viewing setup has changed. Bias lightning with no sunlight entering my room with a 65 inch TV, it's out of this world to me.

I do not like streaming at all. The sound quality is not there, I will never stream unless I must for Netflix shows for HBO, etc.

I hope physical movies won't go away, even though I took a step back from collecting (all) steelbooks I still buy physical all the time.

I've been building my own HT's since 2005 (3 different ones in 3 houses) and started upgrading from DVD to HD-DVD/BluRay and since 2015 to UHD/4K. I remember the day when I bought my first HD movie (King Kong on HD-DVD), went home, started the movie and POW.... Blown away! That was crazy! The resolution difference was out of this world. Imwas watching the scene where the T-rex was appearing with flies flying out of his nose like 10 times a day :)
Immediately stopped buying DVD's and upgraded every (high wants-) movies to HD-DVD/Bluray. After a while I got the 3D fever and bought a 3D projector- and movies. The next step was going from ''normal'' BD players to Oppo (103) and this gave me the same WOW effect all over again on a big screen (110'').

Since 2 years I am slowly upgrading my (fave) movies to UHD. Where the resolution is not the biggest improvement, HDR and especially the 3D audio tracks (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D) are IMO. I changed my set-up from 7.2 to 5.3(subs).4(height) surround and IMO it's the cherry on the pie :)
Unequalled PQ and a surround bubble which is live-like-real.....

As example:
In the Netherlands we have 2 Dolby cinemas. If you go to an ordinary/standard cinema and after that you go to the Dolby cinema (with 4K-laser and 3D sound) you will deffo experience day&night difference ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Wreck
I think a lot of the resistance for upgrading to 4k are largely economic. People have invested thousands of dollars in prior formats and are very resistant to go down that road with 4k UHD. I was one of them. Sure it’s a confusing format for the average consumer but people here are resistant and I think if you’re on this forum or similar ones, chances are you’re probably savvy enough to navigate around the 4k tech specs/requirements. If you don’t want to make the investment in 4k, that shouldn’t be a reason to say people don’t need it. Sure 2D is cheaper but DVD’s are even cheaper. So if that’s how one thinks, there was never a reason to upgrade from the DVD days.