Inherent Vice - In theaters January 9, 2015

kaw

Pop!/Movies/TV Mod
Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Inherent Vice

Tagline: Under the paving stones, the beach!

Genre: Drama, Mystery, Comedy

Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

Cast: Joaquin Phoenix, Josh Brolin, Owen Wilson, Katherine Waterston, Reese Witherspoon, Benicio del Toro, Jena Malone, Joanna Newsom, Jordan Christian Hearn, Hong Chau, Jeannie Berlin, Maya Rudolph, Michael Kenneth Williams, Martin Short, Sasha Pieterse, Martin Donovan, Eric Roberts, Serena Scott Thomas, Christopher Allen Nelson, Sam Jaeger, Timothy Simons, Jillian Bell, Taylor Bonin, Martin Dew, Shannon Collis, Catherine Haena Kim, Vivienne Khaledi, Yvette Yates Redick, Andrew Simpson, Joe Dioletto, Jack Kelly, Belladonna, Elaine Tan, Wilson Bethel, Anders Holm, Emmet Unverzagt, Erica Sullivan, Eva Fisher, Jackie Michele Johnson, Katie Schwartz, Charley Morgan, Keith Jardine, Delaina Mitchell, Michael Cotterman, Peter McRobbie, Shannon C. Sullivan, Samantha Lemole, Madison Leisle, Christian Williams, Jefferson Mays, Liam Van Joosten, Matt Doyle, Ashleigh Biller, David Prak, Amy Ferguson, Emma Dumont, Scott Aschenbrenner, Christina Bobrowsky, Peter Bonilla, Gregoer Boru, Marianne Bourg, Toyia Brown, Stu Brumbaugh, Seth Cash, Laura Lyon Rossi, Elizabeth Colunga, Emma Cooper, Nick de Graffenreid, Adam Dorsey, Ken Edling, Jenna Emery, Al Function, Brandy Futch, Lauren Goncher, Ellen Ho, Jessica Huss, Raiden Integra, Dallas James, Christopher Karl Johnson, Timothy Lally, Adeana Lane, Kira Legg, Tracy Ann Lisa, Blue LoLan, Jacob Lyman, Amanda Maddox, Emilee Madrak, Kirstin Masters, Zach McMahon, Chelsea O'Toole, Shaun Parker, Rodney J. Richards, Philip Roosevelt, Osamu Saito, Joel Shock, Matthew Skomo, Chantal Thuy, Diana Elizabeth Torres

Release: 2014-12-12

Runtime: 149

Plot: In Los Angeles at the turn of the 1970s, drug-fueled detective Larry "Doc" Sportello investigates the disappearance of an ex-girlfriend.

Reactions: redlemon
From IMDB:
Directed by: Paul Thomas Anderson
Cast: Joaquin Phoenix, Josh Brolin, Owen Wilson, Reese Witherspoon, Benicio Del Toro
“Inherent Vice” is the seventh feature from Paul Thomas Anderson and the first film adaption of a Thomas Pynchon novel. When P.I. Doc Sportello’s ex-old lady shows up with a story about her current billionaire land developer boyfriend and a plot by his wife and her boyfriend to kidnap that billionaire and throw him in a looney bin… well, easy for her to say. It’s the tail end of the `60s, paranoia is running the day and Doc knows that “love” is one of those words going around, like “trip” or “groovy,” that’s way too overused–except this one usually leads to trouble. With a cast of characters that includes surfers, hustlers, dopers and rockers, a murderous loan shark, LAPD Detectives, a tenor sax player working undercover and a mysterious entity known as the Golden Fang, which may only be a tax dodge set up by some dentists… Part surf noir, part psychedelic romp–all Thomas Pynchon.

View attachment 104080 View attachment 104073

saw a trailer for this today. I am really impressed by the cast but not sure I am running to the theater for it.

You guys see these rad posters!?:

inherent_vice_poster-brolin.jpg inherent_vice_poster-reese.jpg inherent_vice_ver4.jpg inherent-vice-benicio-poster-gallery.jpg inherent-vice-owen-poster-gallery.jpg

The posters look great hope the movie is worth the praise its getting will watch this soon hopefully... [emoji41]

Tried watching this a second time, after yesterday's Boogie Nights. If their 2.5 hours flew by unnoticed, here after 30 minutes it already feels like 2 hours, yet there's actually 2 more hours left.
Such a great director and cast (and artwork on the posters), such a shame it's boring as hell, despite all that and being set in the 70's in my favorite city.

Tried watching this a second time, after yesterday's Boogie Nights. If their 2.5 hours flew by unnoticed, here after 30 minutes it already feels like 2 hours, yet there's actually 2 more hours left.
Such a great director and cast (and artwork on the posters), such a shame it's boring as hell, despite all that and being set in the 70's in my favorite city.

IMO this is wonderful film, deserves premium blu-ray !

Thought exactly the same a few years ago, haven't seen it for a second time since though. Arguably the best director working today, I LOVE all of his films except for punch drunk love (maybe need to watch that again sometime). Licorice Pizza was one of the best films I have seen in recent years, such a f-in incredible film, it has really rekindled my love of modern film and going to the theatre to watch indie films, been a long time since i was that excited leaving a theatre.

Thought exactly the same a few years ago, haven't seen it for a second time since though. Arguably the best director working today, I LOVE all of his films except for punch drunk love (maybe need to watch that again sometime). Licorice Pizza was one of the best films I have seen in recent years, such a f-in incredible film, it has really rekindled my love of modern film and going to the theatre to watch indie films, been a long time since i was that excited leaving a theatre.
Yeah, I'll try watching Licorice Pizza, even though the main actress is so repulsive.
Punch Drunk Love is alright, worse than other his films at the time, but better than all the newer ones in my opinion.

Yeah, I'll try watching Licorice Pizza, even though the main actress is so repulsive.
Punch Drunk Love is alright, worse than other his films at the time, but better than all the newer ones in my opinion.

I don't even try to watch those 2 films. Ever. Never.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Honestly, when i saw the trailer for Licorice Pizza I had no interest in seeing it at all, mainly because of the actress, but I just was in the mood for a PTA film one week and went, and I was completely blown away.

• Thanks
Reactions: Lenny Nero
...and on the second day, I finished this incoherent, boring, pointless ****** film with annoying voice over - from another 'musician', like the borderline deformed lead of the newest Licorice Pizza - I'm trembling already.
You know, I'm tired of giving such movies more credit, than they deserve, like if the story is too muddy and convoluted to be interesting, engaging, or fun, you have to say something like, yeah, that was 'deep', or 'multilayered', 'it reflects disappointment of a generation or a drugged out trip', just to not seem foolish or embarrassed. Well I'm done with all that bull, maybe as a book it was good for someone, but as a movie it's total crap. And for a proper drugged out trip one should see "Fear and Loathing", on how to do that.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database