RDJ hints at a possible Iron Man 4

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Just last month, Robert Downey Jr. confirmed that there were no plans for Iron Man 4. He was asked directly about whether or not another sequel was in development, and he flatly said, "There isn’t one in the pipe. No, there’s no plan for a fourth Iron Man." However, if we're to believe a casual chat that Ellen DeGeneres had on her own talk show with Downey today, then that might not be the case anymore. The charming Ellen flat out asked Downey whether or not there would be an Iron Man 4, and he said, "I know there's going to be a bunch more Marvel movies. And they have big ideas of how to do it best, and we're in the middle of negotiation, blah, blah, blah..." And then she just went for the gold. Watch what happened!

Here's the very brief interview segment with Robert Downey Jr. from "Ellen" today:

Now Downey's reaction could easily be just an easy-going joke, but this is the first time he's mentioned that there's negotiations with Marvel for it to happen. After all, the last we heard, Downey was only contracted for The Avengers: Age of Ultron and The Avengers 3, so there would need to be a whole new deal for Downey to return as Tony Stark for a fourth standalone Iron Man movie. In a Reddit AMA, Downey also said, "Sooner than later the Marvel Roster will be made public and all questions will be answered." I liked the way Iron Man 3 ended and just assumed they could wrap up anything involving Tony Stark in The Avengers films, especially if he ends up leaving the team.

Of course, Marvel knows that Iron Man is a valuable commodity, so I'm sure they're going to do everything they can to get at least one more Iron Man film out of Robert Downey Jr. Recently he jested that he would only do Iron Man 4 if Marvel hired Mel Gibson to direct. And while that likely won't be his stipulation for returning, he is good friends with Mel Gibson and would like to see him get a chance at a comeback. Anyway, here's hoping we get some kind of official word on what else is in store for the Marvel cinematic universe, specifically Tony Stark, sometime soon.

Source

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 241
ironman.png

During a recent appearance on Ellen Degeneres' daytime talk show, Robert Downey Jr. finally laid to rest the competing rumors as to whether IRON MAN 3 would be getting a sequel. The answer is yes. While RDJ has denied the film multiple times, he recently became more open about it, stating he would do IRON MAN 4 if his friend Mel Gibson directed it. But, it seems he was much more direct Ellen.
“I know there's going to be more Marvel movies, and they have big ideas of how to do it best,” Downey hedged at first. “We're in the middle of negotiations, blah blah blah.”

When Degeneres pressed on, Downey gave a clear "yes" that the movie was coming. This should come as no surprise, but Downey's comments to Ellen seem to be similar to when he helped his AVENGERS castmates renegotiate for higher salaries with Disney and Marvel. Could all of this have been a ploy from the actor to try and get a bigger contract for future IRON MAN films?
Marvel has a lot of movies in the pipeline, many with new characters and younger talent, but nothing can replace what Robert Downey Jr brings to the mix. His portrayal of Tony Stark and Iron Man are one of the highlights of the MCU and a signature for all of the films. Do you honestly think Chris Pratt's Star-Lord would exist if it were not for Downey?
Robert Downey Jr will next be seen in AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON on May 2, 2015. Who knows when IRON MAN 4 will happen.

The conversation...

"I know there's gonna be a bunch more Marvel movies and...they have big ideas of how to do it best, and we're in the middle of negotiations, and blah blah blah..." RDJ said, before trailing off.

"So...'yes'" said DeGeneres.

"Okay, yes," replied the actor.

Last edited:
Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
Yah on Letterman last night, he indicated that an 'Iron Man' movie is not in the works, but he is lined up to do 'other stuff' with Marvel.

Via TheRealStanLee

Tony Stark Is Not Done Yet: Robert Downey Jr May Be Interested In Doing ‘Iron Man 4’ After All

Looks like the genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist that started is interested in getting a fourth shot at the silver screen.

When Iron Man premiered back in 2008 audiences had no idea that it would be the beginning of a pop culture phenomenon the likes of which the world of entertainment had never seen before. Since then, the MCU has gained dozens of new characters, expanded to the depths of space and spread across several different media platforms.

Now as the US awaits the arrival of Marvel Studios highly anticipated “Phase 3” and Captain America: Civil War, the man who started it all might be returning for Iron Man4.

Robert Downey Jr., a.k.a. Tony Stark, is the cornerstone of the MCU, and arguably the most popular actor in the entire Universe, so it’s no wonder the actor would be interested in sticking around for another solo go at the big screen.

He’s Armored Up And Ready To Go

giphy.gif

While RDJ had initially said that he would not be sticking around after the Avengers took down the Mad Titan, Thanos, it looks like the Marvel icon is actually interested in staying on with the MCU a little while longer.

During a recent segment on ABC’s Nightline, Downey said that “I feel like I could do one more.”

While there is no Iron Man 4 in Marvel Studios’ immediate future, the studio has proved in recent months that its release schedule is not set in stone, so anything could happen.

You Can’t Get Rid Of Him That Easily!

giphy.gif

Several fans have speculated that after Avengers: Infinity War Part I and II, Tony would become the next Nick Fury or Phil Coulson and show up in future MCU installment to guide the new heroes along their separate journies.

Fans can watch RDJ don his iconic suit for the sixth time to take on Chris Evans in Captain America: Civil War, which is set to hit theaters May 6.

Go, Team Iron Man!

Reactions: luke98 and Flloydo
They need a superhero from all three phases to stay on beyond phase 3 for continuity purposes so it makes sense for that person to be Tony Stark/Iron Man. He was there from the beginning, after all.