How To Pack A SteelBook™ (Must Read for New Collectors)

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
In conjunction with Worldwide Packaging supplier List thread

A lot of folks are fully aware of how to pack a Steelbook to avoid dents and damage. However, this is still a good thread for new collectors to look over so that they know how to avoid such damage.

1) Use a box
2) Use plenty of bubble wrap.

Some people have been able to get away with using bubble mailers and plenty of packing, but its still nothing something I would personally recommend.

This is actually a package I got from our forum member "BlurayJunkie"

Even when shipping internationally he was able to use a United States Priority Mail box by wrapping it first in paper. Good idea, as you can get those boxes for free. (if you live in the US)

packing1.jpg packing2.jpg packing3.jpg packing4.jpg packing5.jpg

PERFECT! :oohyeah:

Last edited by a moderator:
this is my rookie personal method, did not have any problems with that type of warping on a paper envelope to send them into US or Europe

051809051300.jpg

051809051600.jpg

with the experience and recieving some packages I have change it a little bit

I cut cardboad "pads" 0.5 in longer than steel size to secure edges of steel
1 layer of bubble wrap
place pads
1 or 2 layers of bublle wrap depending on how many steel will be packed

and yes cardboard box will let you sleep during transit and final destination arriva

hope this helps ;)

Reactions: Antman
Those do help! If anyone has packing pictures this can be the thread to post them in. I should post a picture of these air bubble things Horhay uses. They are like filled to the max with air .. lmao ... you could sleep on these babies.

This may sound completely crazy, but I often suggest to folks to add extra padding into the box where possible.

Meaning to the bottom or to the top - if you are doing a bigger trade or something like that, use a box bigger than the steelbooks and put padding on both the top and bottom.

I also add fragile stickers to the package as well, or have the post office do it for me (those are free).

For international shipping, extra padding is a must.

My one major suggestion for domestic US shipping - never, ever, EVER ship
Media Mail unless you insure the package. Stuff gets trashed through that service all the time. :(

Nothing makes me more sad than to see a damaged steelbook.

media mail is a no-no with Steelbooks, no one wants to wait that long! :) Reg blu ok haha.

Reactions: sengboy
here's some pics of the prince of persia im posting to horhay.i've always used a box & extra card like apsmith when going international.the bubble wrap i used to get from work,huge stuff.this box you could post two blu steels in.i then always wrap in brown packing paper.someone posted me a dvd steel of ebay once just in the wrapping paper:wtf:

Attachments

• prince 001.jpg
    prince 001.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 45
  • prince 002.jpg
    prince 002.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 41
  • prince 003.jpg
    prince 003.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 42
  • prince 004.jpg
    prince 004.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 116
justin how do you calculate do you do it before you go to the post office online or in the post office itself, what is the best way to send to the U.S with tracking number & DC?

Thanks

justin how do you calculate do you do it before you go to the post office online or in the post office itself, what is the best way to send to the U.S with tracking number & DC?

Thanks

I weigh it after ive boxed it up and use that site i said, put the weight in and select overseas then find USA from the list it gives the exact price for every service :D

here's some pics of the prince of persia im posting to horhay.i've always used a box & extra card like apsmith when going international.the bubble wrap i used to get from work,huge stuff.this box you could post two blu steels in.i then always wrap in brown packing paper.someone posted me a dvd steel of ebay once just in the wrapping paper:wtf:

Oh yeah, that's happened a few times to me lately. The best (worst) one was a couple of weeks ago I won three DVD steelbooks from a guy in the Netherlands and he just threw them - unwrapped! - in a plain A4 letter envelope without any extra packaing at all. I basically just received a paper bag full of bits. Then to add insult to injury one of them didn't even have a disc in it :angry: . So, that was £25 down the drain, but I'm trying to get a refund through Paypal as he hasn't replied to my eBay dispute. Fingers crossed I can get my money back :ohno: .

What really annoys me is when you politely ask that they wrap the item well, and point out you have had a lot of damaged items so it is important, and they go 'yeah, no problem' and still send it wrapped in brown paper, or if your lucky a Jiffy bag. It's not like it's a great expense, for example my local Poundland sells packs of 3 boxes which are each big enough to hold 2 Steelbooks plus plenty of bubblewrap.

Sorry for the rant, just fealt like venting to people who would understand my pain :D .

Reactions: P0UNDLAND
Dream, that really stinks:( We all can sing a song from these awful wrapping jobs. I hope you get a refund soon:)

Reactions: Mrcor
Great thread guys - only been collecting three months or so, but already thinking I might move some of my DVD steels on and have been taking notes on the above! :)

Had two or three dodgy packing experiences after buying off ebay :(