Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: Split

Genre: [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE], [GENRE]Thriller[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]M. Night Shyamalan[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Haley Lu Richardson[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]James McAvoy[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jessica Sula[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Anya Taylor-Joy[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Kim Director[/ACTOR]

Plot: [PLOT][/PLOT][/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
LargePosters
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: MrsRobinson
Looks SO damn good! M. Night is back to form -- I love it! McAvoy looks like he's gonna kill this role... plus there's also the lovely Anya Taylor-Joy from The Witch! Can't wait!

Only just seen the trailer for this and it looks great

Just got home from an early screening of this with @tridon

This was such a crazy flick!!! BY FAR M. Night's best work since The Village (I personally LOVE the Village).
Its going to be hard to review or say anything without spoilers... so... I'll just say I really really enjoyed it.

The very end, I was sooo pumped. I really hope for more!!!

Ranking M.Night Films (the ones I've seen)
  1. Sixth Sense
  2. The Village
  3. Unbreakable
  4. Split
  5. Signs
  6. After Earth
  7. Lady in the Water
  8. The Happening
I have not seen The Visit or Last Airbender...

• Thanks
Reactions: bloodsnake007

This was such a crazy flick!!! BY FAR M. Night's best work since The Village (I personally LOVE the Village).
Its going to be hard to review or say anything without spoilers... so... I'll just say I really really enjoyed it.

1. Sixth Sense
  2. The Village
  3. Unbreakable
  4. Split
  5. Signs
  6. After Earth
  7. Lady in the Water
  8. The Happening

Yeah, I'm still thinking of reviewing this, but I don't know how to do it without spoilers. All I'll say right now is that Split was soooo good and that, after The Visit and now this, M. Night Shyamalan is back to his old self! Split's ending... oh, boy! I can't wait until more people see this!

And since you did it, @kaw, here's my M. Night films in order of favourite to least favourite:

1. Unbreakable
2. Signs
3. Lady in the Water
4. Split
5. The Sixth Sense
6. The Village
7. The Visit
8. After Earth
9. The Happening
10. The Last Airbender

I have never seen the Rosie O'Donnell masterpiece, Wide Awake. :hilarious:

On my way to the theatre to meet @kaw for an advance screening right now. I'll let ya know what I thought later tonight! :thumbs:

1. Sixth Sense
  2. The Village
  3. Unbreakable
  4. Split
  5. Signs
  6. After Earth
  7. Lady in the Water
  8. The Happening

Yeah, I'm still thinking of reviewing this, but I don't know how to do it without spoilers. All I'll say right now is that Split was soooo good and that, after The Visit and now this, M. Night Shyamalan is back to his old self! Split's ending... oh, boy! I can't wait until more people see this!

And since you did it, @kaw, here's my M. Night films in order of favourite to least favourite:

1. Unbreakable
2. Signs
3. Lady in the Water
4. Split
5. The Sixth Sense
6. The Village
7. The Visit
8. After Earth
9. The Happening
10. The Last Airbender

I have never seen the Rosie O'Donnell masterpiece, Wide Awake. :hilarious:

@tridon @kaw
AWESOME! :woot: I'm glad you both got to hang out and watch this! :thumbs: But I'm a bit disappointed a pic wasn't shared :(

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw and tridon
This is SO GREAT!!!! PUMPED!!! M Night interview with EW:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: When did you strike upon the idea to set Split in the same story universe as David Dunn (Bruce Willis) and Elijah Price (Samuel L. Jackson) and Unbreakable?
M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN:
Oh, it was always there. Always. This character, Kevin from Split, was in the original script of Unbreakable. The original draft of Unbreakable focused on David Dunn and Elijah as his mentor. Elijah tells him, “You’re a comic book character, go try it.” And instead of bumping into the Orange Suit Man, David bumps into one of Kevin’s personalities and goes to save the girls. So you’d have been watching the girls side of it the whole time. That was the outline.

And how much of that screenplay had you written?
A lot. Some of the Kevin Wendell Crumb [James McAvoy’s character in Split] scenes were already completely written, all the way back then. One of the “Patricia” scenes, the Hedwig introduction scene, those were written over 15 years ago. I have them written by hand in my notebooks.

So when you began writing the full script for Split, you knew it was going to reference Unbreakable?
Yes, for sure.

It’s very effective where it comes in the film — all the way at the very end, after just the film’s title has been flashed on the screen. But did you toy with when to do it?
It was always at the end. But there was a question whether it would be one scene from the end, like within the pocket of the movie, and then have James’ scene in the mirror? Or run credits and put it at the end of the end credits? I tried all those variations but this was the best version.

Right, finding a sort of middle ground?
Yeah. The movie’s over, you all know that in the audience, but now I’m playing you Unbreakable music, James Newton Howard’s great score. A third of the audience is like, “Wait, what’s happening?” Their minds are kind of reeling. I screened it in Austin in September at Fantastic Fest and when the woman says the word “wheelchair,” the place freaked out. Some people in the audience were screaming out “Mr. Glass” before Bruce Willis even appeared.

So now hypothetically this seems like a perfect segue into a third film. That elusive Unbreakable sequel.
Yeah. I agree with that.

Will it be?
I hope so. The answer is yes. I’m just such a wimp sometimes. I don’t know what’s going to happen when I go off in my room, a week after this film opens, to write the script. But I’m going to start writing.

Do you have an outline?
Yeah, definitely. A really robust outline, which is pretty intricate. But now the standards for my outlines are higher. I need to know I’ve won already. I’m almost there but I’m not quite there.

What did James McAvoy say when you told him this? And did he knew when he signed on that this was going to be the ending?
Oh yeah, he knew from the beginning. And he was pumped. He was like, “Oh, man, I might get to do another movie with Bruce? My God!” He was excited, but again, this was well over a year ago. Our job was to make Split a great psychological thriller with supernatural overtones. We weren’t worrying about the tag [movie lingo for a short scene at the very end of a film].

Have you been worried about the news of the ending spilling out?
Yeah. Actually, in fact, I didn’t put the ending on when we first test screened the movie. I wouldn’t do it, somewhat out of fear that it would get out. But on top of that, I wanted it to win as its own movie. You like Split as its own movie? Well, guess what? You weren’t even watching what you thought you were.

You must be smiling a bit. This is a redefinition of the twist ending. This is something you’ve never done before.
No, that’s correct. But basically it’s similar to Unbreakable. Can you make an origins story that the audience doesn’t know is an origins story until the last image of the movie. In Split, you really thought you were watching a psychological thriller. And you were. But it’s actually a comic book movie. And when the moment comes, when you’re watching it with an audience, the place just goes insane. It’s pandemonium. It feels great.

@tridon

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and tridon
This is SO GREAT!!!! PUMPED!!! M Night interview with EW:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: When did you strike upon the idea to set Split in the same story universe as David Dunn (Bruce Willis) and Elijah Price (Samuel L. Jackson) and Unbreakable?
M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN:
Oh, it was always there. Always. This character, Kevin from Split, was in the original script of Unbreakable. The original draft of Unbreakable focused on David Dunn and Elijah as his mentor. Elijah tells him, “You’re a comic book character, go try it.” And instead of bumping into the Orange Suit Man, David bumps into one of Kevin’s personalities and goes to save the girls. So you’d have been watching the girls side of it the whole time. That was the outline.

And how much of that screenplay had you written?
A lot. Some of the Kevin Wendell Crumb [James McAvoy’s character in Split] scenes were already completely written, all the way back then. One of the “Patricia” scenes, the Hedwig introduction scene, those were written over 15 years ago. I have them written by hand in my notebooks.

So when you began writing the full script for Split, you knew it was going to reference Unbreakable?
Yes, for sure.

It’s very effective where it comes in the film — all the way at the very end, after just the film’s title has been flashed on the screen. But did you toy with when to do it?
It was always at the end. But there was a question whether it would be one scene from the end, like within the pocket of the movie, and then have James’ scene in the mirror? Or run credits and put it at the end of the end credits? I tried all those variations but this was the best version.

Right, finding a sort of middle ground?
Yeah. The movie’s over, you all know that in the audience, but now I’m playing you Unbreakable music, James Newton Howard’s great score. A third of the audience is like, “Wait, what’s happening?” Their minds are kind of reeling. I screened it in Austin in September at Fantastic Fest and when the woman says the word “wheelchair,” the place freaked out. Some people in the audience were screaming out “Mr. Glass” before Bruce Willis even appeared.

So now hypothetically this seems like a perfect segue into a third film. That elusive Unbreakable sequel.
Yeah. I agree with that.

Will it be?
I hope so. The answer is yes. I’m just such a wimp sometimes. I don’t know what’s going to happen when I go off in my room, a week after this film opens, to write the script. But I’m going to start writing.

Do you have an outline?
Yeah, definitely. A really robust outline, which is pretty intricate. But now the standards for my outlines are higher. I need to know I’ve won already. I’m almost there but I’m not quite there.

What did James McAvoy say when you told him this? And did he knew when he signed on that this was going to be the ending?
Oh yeah, he knew from the beginning. And he was pumped. He was like, “Oh, man, I might get to do another movie with Bruce? My God!” He was excited, but again, this was well over a year ago. Our job was to make Split a great psychological thriller with supernatural overtones. We weren’t worrying about the tag [movie lingo for a short scene at the very end of a film].

Have you been worried about the news of the ending spilling out?
Yeah. Actually, in fact, I didn’t put the ending on when we first test screened the movie. I wouldn’t do it, somewhat out of fear that it would get out. But on top of that, I wanted it to win as its own movie. You like Split as its own movie? Well, guess what? You weren’t even watching what you thought you were.

You must be smiling a bit. This is a redefinition of the twist ending. This is something you’ve never done before.
No, that’s correct. But basically it’s similar to Unbreakable. Can you make an origins story that the audience doesn’t know is an origins story until the last image of the movie. In Split, you really thought you were watching a psychological thriller. And you were. But it’s actually a comic book movie. And when the moment comes, when you’re watching it with an audience, the place just goes insane. It’s pandemonium. It feels great.

@tridon

Ohhhhhh, YES! I'm so pumped after reading that!

I can't believe this was all a part of the original Unbreakable draft. And to know that he's finally working on Unbreakable 2? I'm psyched right now! Man, I want to watch this again. I can't wait to watch Unbreakable and Split back-to-back.

Just came home from watching it. The only thing I didn't like was that it's a little but slow in the beginning,but otherwise it's a great movie. Now bring on the premium releases,it definitely deserves it:naughty:

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
So my thoughts on this @Flloydo...

The whole thing was pretty weird and I couldn't figure out what was going to happen half the time, which kept me hooked! I love how well it hid all the clues until the very end when everything suddenly became quite obvious. I mean, they were always staring us in the face, yet I just sort of ignored them... like even just the poster for example - as soon as they first released it online it instantly made me think of Unbreakable with the cracked glass...

8CHJcVc5IGXS1sC5DyjeMwTDEQH.jpg pvL37V88plePxFSszCbV3wRHiBm.jpg

And then when the doctor made a comment about how her patients were super natural I just kind of chuckled to myself and thought "a bit like in Unbreakable", without even considering that it could in fact be connected. My jaw literally dropped at the end when that woman mentioned a wheelchair and Bruce Willis appeared. :OMG:

Can't wait to rewatch it again with all this in mind... and just imagining the possibilities for the Unbreakable sequel blows my mind! Unbreakable has always been my favourite film of Shyamalan's, and also one of my favourite superhero movies (if you can call it that), so I'm super excited to see how he continues it all. :D

Oh, and McAvoy was incredible! He pulled off each of the personalities perfectly... it's as if they were completely different people. Really hope he's in Unbreakable 2 alongside Bruce and SLJ.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and Flloydo