Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Silence (2016)

Tagline: Sometime silence is the deadliest sound

Genre: Drama, History

Director: Martin Scorsese

Cast: Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver, Tadanobu Asano, Ciarán Hinds, Liam Neeson, Issei Ogata, Shinya Tsukamoto, Yoshi Oida, Yosuke Kubozuka, Nana Komatsu, Béla Baptiste, Michié, Katsuo Nakamura, Ryo Kase, Motokatsu Suzuki, Yasushi Takada, Ten Miyazawa, Kaoru Endô, Diego Calderón, Shi Liang, Miho Harita, Hairi Katagiri, Hiroko Isayama, Yutaka Mishima, Yoriko Dôguchi, Kansai Eto, Shun Sugata, Hako Ohshima, Hideki Nishioka, Nobuaki Fukuda, Munetaka Aoki, Tetsu Watanabe, Yoshihiro Takayama, Asuka Kurosawa, SABU

Release: 2016-12-01

Runtime: 130

Plot: In the seventeenth century, two Jesuit priests face violence and persecution when they travel to Japan to locate their mentor and propagate Christianity.

• Thanks
Reactions: bloodsnake007
[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
okAYFL0vEJKeGiZIEukRF57isAk.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

silence-liam-neeson-slice-600x200.jpg

It looks very different to anything he's done before, but it still looks amazing! :OMG:

Here's the video on Youtube, just in case anyone can't get the Twitter one working for some reason...

@kaw and @Noodles Not what I was expecting from Mr. Scorsese, but that's not a bad thing! :thumbs: Definitely looking forward to seeing this, looks like it'll be a rollercoaster of emotions. Kylo Ren and Spiderman are off to save Qui Gon Jinn :D, me likey! ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and kaw
Just saw this and it's a movie that requires a few days to process to truly evaluate, but I liked it alot overall.

The performances, specifically by Andrew Garfield and many of the main Japanese actors are fantastic. Garfield has had two spectacular performances this year (Hacksaw Ridge being the other) and both I believe are award worthy. Silence has alot of commentary regarding freedom of religion and it poses alot of interesting questions for discussion afterwards.

There are a few brutal and sad moments to watch, but there's a purpose behind all of it. I think this is one of Scorsese's better movies and I enjoyed this more than The Last Temptation. Right now I can't place Silence in the top tier of all time Scorsese movies, but I think it's a film that tackles a very interesting and difficult subject matter. It's not a movie for everyone and be aware of the 2 hour 40 minute ish run time, but I liked it enough to make my Top 10 of the year. If you're a fan of Scorsese or have interest in religious based movies, definitely check this out when it goes wide.

Reactions: kaw
@doblbj2k Thanks for the review! I want to see this for the performances alone and I really hope Garfield gets nominated for this or hacksaw.

I really want to see it now but might wait until a home release. With a 2:40 runtime thats a long time to sit in a theater and I would hate to miss something because I have to run to the washroom or something. haha

They should really have an intermission with films like this!
It was great when I saw the Hateful Eight and it had one. I think more films should do that.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database