Akira (Live Action) - In theaters May 21st, 2021

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Akira

Genre: Action, Drama, Science Fiction, Thriller

Director: Taika Waititi

Plot: A live action adaptation of Katsuhiro Otomo's 6-volume manga series.

Harry Potter screenwriter Steve Kloves has been hired by Warner Bros to polish up the Akira script.

Steve Kloves, best known for adapting seven of the eight "Harry Potter" films for Warner Bros., has been recruited to polish the studio's live-action remake of Japanese manga epic "Akira."
Albert Hughes is directing "Akira," based on Katsuhiro Otomo's graphic novel set in a post-apocalyptic Japan. Warner acquired the "Akira" rights three years ago from publisher Kodansha and set it up with Andrew Lazar's Mad Chance with Appian Way's Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson Killoran.

The studio is looking to go into production this summer.

Hughes and his brother, Allen Hughes. will also produce.

Warners hasn't cast or set a release date for "Akira," which is set in a metropolis that was rebuilt after being destroyed decades earlier by Akira, a child with immense psychic powers. Otomo wrote and directed the popular 1988 Japanese anime film of the same name, and he'll exec produce WB's "Akira."

The latest version of the script was penned by Albert Torres, with earlier drafts by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby and Gary Whitta.

Kloves penned all the adaptations for the "Potter" pics except for the fifth, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," which was written by Michael Goldenberg. He took a break from the series to work on "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time." His other credits include "Wonder Boys" and "The Fabulous Baker Boys."

Release Date set for May 21st, 2021
with Taika Waititi directing.

“What I wanted to do was an adaptation of the books, ’cos a lot of people are like, ‘Don’t touch that film!’ and I’m like, ‘I’m not remaking the film, I want to go back to the book,’”

“A lot of the people freaking out haven’t even read the books, and there are six gigantic books to go through. It’s so rich.”

Reactions: Noodles
Looking forward to this, despite the fact I didn't really rate the original... then again I should probably rewatch it, since I didn't really appreciate anime as much back then as I do now.

Looking forward to this, despite the fact I didn't really rate the original... then again I should probably rewatch it, since I didn't really appreciate anime as much back then as I do now.
ac5733b51fbd69ee32bf3565ac6624d1.jpg

Akira is a masterpiece.

• Haha
Reactions: Space Cadet
With a hefty production tax credit for shooting in California, the movie will film for 71 days and employ thousands. Warner Bros. has dated it for 21, 2021, which means it'll be up against... John Wick 4. :blackeye:

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database