Ltd. Ed./Birthdays/Video Game Mod
Premium Supporter
May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: A Ghost Story (2017)

Genre: Drama

Director: David Lowery

Cast: Casey Affleck, Rooney Mara, Will Oldham, Liz Franke, Sonia Acevedo, Carlos Bermudez, Yasmina Gutierrez, Brea Grant, Augustine Frizzell, David Lowery, Kesha Rose Sebert, Rob Zabrecky, Grover Coulson, Kenneisha Thompson, McColm Sephas Jr., Barlow Jacobs

Release: 2017-01-22

Runtime: 87

Plot: This is the story of a ghost and the house he haunts.

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks interesting

Casey and Rooney - I'm in

Anyone seen this yet?
@tridon @Noodles @kaw @AlienKing @bloodsnake007

This film won't be for everyone but I found it pretty much perfect.
I found it quite Melancholic to watch but not in a depressing way and it sent me in a trance throughout the whole film. A good trance

Recently there have been a few certain films that border on horror and art house drama that I have loved (I usually hate art house) and this falls into that for me like like under the skin, a girl walks home alone at night, the witch and even it comes at night.
And although this has no gore and 100% not a horror like those films mentioned, in my head it still falls in the same category because it's a paranormal drama about a ghost

Both Rooney Mara and casey affleck are amazing especially Mara and the way it's filmed is so cleverly done. The setting feels kinda 70sish even though it's set in modern times - they use iPods (and other eras) and love the projector slide style window you watch it through

There's barely any talking in this but the score and soundtrack are beautiful. Would love a vinyl

I really want to own this and I prey someone does a premium for it

Just a few things I want to mentioned that are spoilerish

There are some scenes that are shot so well, especially the way you see time through a ghosts eyes and perspective.
Love the trippy moment he becomes a ghost in the hospital and The way his timeline blurs together with years looking like seconds. So well done and it's quite upsetting to see this point of view from a ghost. I've never seen it done like this before. Also a scene of him waking from room to room and it's just skipping through the months. Very clever

That moment where he goes back to the settlers in late 1800's / early 1900s and he witnesses everything and then witnessing his whole relationship with Mara from moving into the house, getting scared by the sound on the piano and gis death got me too. It's just shot so well (I keep saying that lol).
Was not expecting the future skyline shot and then the time loop.

Also one of the most genius speeches about life, legacy and memory.

Loved it

Reactions: Noodles
Anyone seen this yet?

I found it quite Melancholic to watch but not in a depressing way and it sent me in a trance throughout the whole film. A good trance

Recently there have been a few certain films that border on horror and art house drama that I have loved (I usually hate art house) and this falls into that for me like like under the skin, a girl walks home alone at night, the witch and even it comes at night.
And although this has no gore and 100% not a horror like those films mentioned, in my head it still falls in the same category because it's a paranormal drama about a ghost

Both Rooney Mara and casey affleck are amazing especially Mara and the way it's filmed is so cleverly done. The setting feels kinda 70sish even though it's set in modern times - they use iPods (and other eras) and love the projector slide style window you watch it through

There's barely any talking in this but the score and soundtrack are beautiful. Would love a vinyl

There are some scenes that are shot so well, especially the way you see time through a ghosts eyes and perspective.
Love the trippy moment he becomes a ghost in the hospital and The way his timeline blurs together with years looking like seconds. So well done and it's quite upsetting to see this point of view from a ghost. I've never seen it done like this before. Also a scene of him waking from room to room and it's just skipping through the months. Very clever

That moment where he goes back to the settlers in late 1800's / early 1900s and he witnesses everything and then witnessing his whole relationship with Mara from moving into the house, getting scared by the sound on the piano and gis death got me too. It's just shot so well (I keep saying that lol).

Loved it
I actually planned to watch this last night, but didn't get around to it in the end, so will watch it tonight now instead. Heard nothing but great things about it! Will report back and share my thoughts later. ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
I actually planned to watch this last night, but didn't get around to it in the end, so will watch it tonight now instead. Heard nothing but great things about it! Will report back and share my thoughts later. ;)

Lol I watched it last night

Honestly mate I think this is my new favourite film. Just something beautiful about it.

• Helpful Post
  • Thanks
Reactions: kaw and PunkNinja
Lol I watched it last night

Honestly mate I think this is my new favourite film. Just something beautiful about it.
So I'll probably hate it then, yeah? :p

It originally completely passed by me because the title made me think it was a horror, but I recently started getting into my horrors more (as you know), so it popped up on my radar again and that's when I realised what it was actually about. Definitely looks/sounds like my sort of film anyway and I look forward to checking it out!

• Thanks
So I'll probably hate it then, yeah? :p

It originally completely passed by me because the title made me think it was a horror, but I recently started getting into my horrors more (as you know), so it popped up on my radar again and that's when I realised what it was actually about. Definitely looks/sounds like my sort of film anyway and I look forward to checking it out!

Probably. Just go in with low expectations. It's just very different and handled well

I originally thought it was going to be a chilling horror like the orphanage for example. But nothing alike. I forgot about it until recently

Anyone seen this yet?

Loved it

It's definitely on my long list of films to watch, but I'm skeptical. I feel like I'll either love this or I'll hate it. Out of the comparison films that you mentioned, I haven't seen A Girl Walks Home at Night (yet), I thought It Comes at Night was okay, I hated Under the Skin, and I loved The Witch... so this can really go any way. :LOL:

• Thanks
It's definitely on my long list of films to watch, but I'm skeptical. I feel like I'll either love this or I'll hate it. Out of the comparison films that you mentioned, I haven't seen A Girl Walks Home at Night (yet), I thought It Comes at Night was okay, I hated Under the Skin, and I loved The Witch... so this can really go any way. :LOL:

Lol yeah it's looks that way

Tbh I didn't mean they are all similar but more that they are in that kind of sub category of art house. I find art house very annoying most the time with long weird shots of a finger nail or a frog or something stupidly pretentious. But those I mentioned are slightly art house but more interesting and build up tension with great scores/ soundtracks and moments imo. They're not pretentious (again imo).
I sometimes feel hollow and unfulfilled after a standard art house film, they weird me out! These are More like a new wave, indie art house or something lol. But I've noticed this trend with horrors like that and I'm liking some of them. It follows is another that just grabbed me and I watch it so much. That sometimes has very little elements of "AH" but then has these bigger indie horror film moments to balance it out

This will be marmite for so many. And one of the first times I was expecting more or something very different and very happy with the result which was very different to what I imagined would happen

If I say art house one more time I think I'll loose my mind

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Lol yeah it's looks that way

Tbh I didn't mean they are all similar but more that they are in that kind of sub category of art house. I find art house very annoying most the time with long weird shots of a finger nail or a frog or something stupidly pretentious. But those I mentioned are slightly art house but more interesting and build up tension with great scores/ soundtracks and moments imo. They're not pretentious (again imo).
I sometimes feel hollow and unfulfilled after a standard art house film, they weird me out! These are More like a new wave, indie art house or something lol. But I've noticed this trend with horrors like that and I'm liking some of them. It follows is another that just grabbed me and I watch it so much. That sometimes has very little elements of "AH" but then has these bigger indie horror film moments to balance it out

This will be marmite for so many. And one of the first times I was expecting more or something very different and very happy with the result which was very different to what I imagined would happen

If I say art house one more time I think I'll loose my mind

I hear ya, man. I have a hard time enjoying them, too. Most of the time, they're just boring with "stories" that go nowhere. So yeah, I 100% agree with your opinion on them. Horror films classified as art house as generally okay as they somewhat follow a different structure. A drama art house, though... oh boy. You couldn't pay me to sit through another Terrence Malick film. Those bore the life out of me.

• Thanks
I hear ya, man. I have a hard time enjoying them, too. Most of the time, they're just boring with "stories" that go nowhere. So yeah, I 100% agree with your opinion on them. Horror films classified as art house as generally okay as they somewhat follow a different structure. A drama art house, though... oh boy. You couldn't pay me to sit through another Terrence Malick film. Those bore the life out of me.

:LOL:

The thin red line broke me. I hated that film so much

Well I hope all that watches this enjoys it because it's so different to anything I've seen for a drama about a ghost

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
@Flloydo Ah mate, I found this to be such a snoozefest... I don't even know what the point of it all was. I knew I was probably going to hate it when I was just a few minutes in, because the camera lingered for far too long on pretty much nothing... I almost turned it off during the scene where she's just sat eating a pie for 5 minutes straight! If they cut all the nonsense out this would literally be a 10 minute short film and it'd still probably bore me lol. I did like the music though... quite a lot actually. I immediately searched for this song once the film ended...

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95 and Flloydo
@Flloydo That being said... I reckon it's a film I'll revisit in a year or so and possibly "get" all of a sudden and fall in love with it. Or at least that's what usually happens with me and Malick's films, which this reminded me a lot of.

@Flloydo Ah mate, I found this to be such a snoozefest... I don't even know what the point of it all was. I knew I was probably going to hate it when I was just a few minutes in, because the camera lingered for far too long on pretty much nothing... I almost turned it off during the scene where she's just sat eating a pie for 5 minutes straight! If they cut all the nonsense out this would literally be a 10 minute short film and it'd still probably bore me lol. I did like the music though... quite a lot actually. I immediately searched for this song once the film ended...

T*sser!

Lol

I just knew you were going to hate it. The point was witnessing the loneliness of a ghost and how they perceive time. I thought it was genius

It's similar to some of the ideas I come up with lol. Second it ended I thought to myself I would of love to written that. Haha we are so different

Funnily enough I was going to say the pie part was one of my favourite scenes lol. But just in case I put too much in my spoiler i left it out. She's literally abusing that pie lol and was eating it until she was sick. Great scene. I didn't even notice him watching her until half way through that scene, that's how engrossed I was with her lol

Yeah I shazzamed that song. Really good song

@Flloydo That being said... I reckon it's a film I'll revisit in a year or so and possibly "get" all of a sudden and fall in love with it. Or at least that's what usually happens with me and Malick's films, which this reminded me a lot of.

Then it must of left an impression for you to come back and say that. Must be thinking about it and starting to change your mind :LOL:

What about when he goes back to the past and looks up and the family had been killed, then looks again and she's decaying, then again and she's bones. And like when he's walking round the house and every room he walks into is a different month. Loved all that.
just made me think that if ghosts were real then time must be like that for them.

Warning to @Noodles - never attempt to watch
Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles.
(Or The Fifth Continent);)
(Films that spend the bulk of their time on the banal, so thay their shocking endings have more shocking value. Jeanne Dielman is 3 1/2 hours of this! - I guess the idea being: A brutal act will be a huge shock after watching someone eat, sleep, and do nothing for two hours!)*

I GET the narrative mechanics at play and their purpose - I just don't care for it.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database