Apr 28, 2011
Release date: 13th February, 2019
Purchase link: TBA
Price: $36.99
Group Buy: Hosted by cooey and Aniv HERE

FA47E71E-371B-49E1-AA33-82E30F75AF9F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pics and info. :thanks:
As hmv status is unknown and manta are still yet to confirm any proper timeline for this and as they are now numbered (sticker I think on the bottom?) think I will partake as this may be the only one out there for a while.
Now if only they hadn’t mucked around with the art on Bohemian Rapsody and changed it from the purple to the gold:oops:

This is no more a musical that Whitney Houston's Bodyguard is. Just because it's about a signing doesn't make it a musical. It's a romance/drama film. IMDB even have a musical category and this film isn't in it
We're splitting hairs here, but both Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Star_Is_Born_(2018_film)) and IMDB (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1517451/) have it categorized as music/musical. I understand what you're getting it - it isn't a conventional "musical", but given the amount of time the characters spend singing, and how many musical numbers are in the film, it's not unreasonable to put it in the musical category.

It's similar to Bohemian Rhapsody - it's true, neither of these are "musicals", but to say they aren't in the musical family would be a bit disingenuous.

Just my thoughts, but I certainly understand why you'd disagree and don't necessarily think you're wrong.

• Thanks
Reactions: tommyh84
I'm backing tommyh, unless the storyline is being sung then it's not a musical. It doesn't matter what category IMdB or Wikipedia think it falls under.

I'm backing tommyh, unless the storyline is being sung then it's not a musical. It doesn't matter what category IMdB or Wikipedia think it falls under.

Nominated in the Drama category. Not the Musical category.

Golden Globes, USA 2019
Nominee
Golden GlobeBest Motion Picture - Drama
Best Director - Motion Picture
Bradley Cooper
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Bradley Cooper
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Lady Gaga
Best Original Song - Motion Picture
Lady Gaga
Mark Ronson
Anthony Rossomando
Andrew Wyatt
For song "Shallow"

Nominated in the Drama category. Not the Musical category.

Golden Globes, USA 2019
Nominee
Golden GlobeBest Motion Picture - Drama
Best Director - Motion Picture
Bradley Cooper
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Bradley Cooper
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Lady Gaga
Best Original Song - Motion Picture
Lady Gaga
Mark Ronson
Anthony Rossomando
Andrew Wyatt
For song "Shallow"
The studios determine which category their films will run for when it comes to the Golden Globes, based on where they see the best chance to win. Unless you agree that Get Out, Her, The Martian, Joy, Birdman, and Silver Linings Playbook are all comedies/musicals, then Golden Globe categories don't mean much.

I agree that it's a drama/romance first and foremost. I also think it can be considered to be in the musical family. Songs are sung by the main characters, and songs are used as major plot devices. Not sure how this is any different than La La Land, which is widely considered a musical. The only difference might be the spontaneous nature of the songs being sung, but that seems like a fairly grey line to me.

Just my opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: WKRP