AcIDc0r3's "Palladium Glass" Computer Build [My Next Build Log]

Lone Crusader

The Savage Ninja!
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Nov 24, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas, USA
Well it's come that time that my computer is in need of an overhaul. A new build is in the plans. My last build (2013) HERE was pretty good but this one I plan to delve deep into the lining of my pockets to get it going. It's going to take me quite some time actually to save up to pull this build off, in fact what I'll probably have to do is buy a component or two at a time as the components are pretty pricey.

My last rig was a behemoth, the case is enormous (a super tower). I plan to change all that this time around by going the way of a micro-ITX case or (mITX). I'll be using the NZXT Manta case which is an mITX case but it's a little bit larger than most mITX cases. Even though it's smaller than a mid-sized case it is still considered a SFF case.

manta001.jpg

So far this is what I have in the works.
  • Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Asus ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM
  • Patriot Hellfire 480GB M.2-2280 NVMe Solid State Drive
  • (x2) Kingston Savage 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drives (Configured for Raid 0)
  • Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB STRIX Video Card
  • NZXT Manta Mini ITX Desktop Case
  • EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • NZXT Hue+ LED Controller
  • NZXT Aer RGB140 (3-pack) 71.6 CFM 140mm Fans
  • NZXT Aer RGB140 71.6 CFM 140mm Fan
  • NZXT Aer RGB120 61.4 CFM 120mm Fan

I plan to run the Patriot M.2 as my boot drive and the two 960GB Kingston Savage SSD's I plan on configuring for Raid 0. Also plan on doing RGB lighting throughout the case. Depending on how the budget looks I might kick the GTX 1070 up to a GTX 1080, it just all depends on timing and money.

This time around instead of painstakingly sleeving my own PSU cables I plan on shopping at CableMod.com and replace all the PSU cables for custom sleeved and lengths.

Anyways here's my build list at PcPartsPicker. Pretty neat service as it finds the best deals on the internet for my custom build.

To be continued.......

• Thanks
Reactions: wongsifu
Well I ran into a little problem. The mITX motherboard and most other Z270 mITX motherboards are coming out with no front USB 2.0 header on the board. That's fine and dandy because I can run my USB cable from the USB 3.0 header to the front I/O plugs at the front of the case but then I'm left with a problem where I can't plug in my CPU liquid cooler or any other peripherals that require the USB 2.0 header to communicate with the computer.

So I've had to look at regular ATX boards which are full size boards and won't fit in the Manta case because the ATX boards have all the necessary pin outs on the board like USB 2.0, 3.0 and even 3.1 not to mention any other pin out that I might need like the new RGB headers that are making there way onto new motherboards for case lighting. So I'm having to switch out my case for a regular mid-size case. I guess that's alright because the case I want is ranked as the number one case out to date. It seems that tempered glass as side panels is the new trend for computer cases now. Well I'm going to jump on that boat as they are very nice. The case I want is the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass edition in anthracite grey, wheeew! very nice case, in fact the best case I've ever seen. Tempered glass on not just the left side of the case but also on the right side too, inspiring those folks to tidy up real nice their cable management skills. Anyways I have a new set of components for the new case and you can see that list below.

Phanteks.jpg

Components ...
  • Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler
  • G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3466 Memory
  • Plextor M8Pe 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (OS Drive)
  • (x2) PNY CS2211 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drives ( in Raid 0)
  • Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB STRIX Video Card
  • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case
  • EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Ensourced custom made modular cables made specifically for this power supply
  • NZXT Hue+ LED Controller
  • SilverStone PWM Fan Hub System Cables, Black (CPF04)
  • (x5) NZXT Aer RGB140 140mm RGB Case Fan 500-1500 RPM 23.9-71.6 CFM 22-33DBA 4-PIN PWM

PCPartPicker List

As always a work in progress.......

Last edited:
Might be going the route of a full loop of liquid cooling. I already have a AIO unit on my CPU so why not go all slick looking with full loop using hardline tubing. Something I'll definitely have to think about.

Was considering EK for all my liquid cooling supplies but man, Bitspower make some really nice fittings but damn they are expensive. Just four 90 degree fittings are almost $60. :wtf: I'm just going to have to look around some more before I make up my mind.

Fittings_zpsed4mshmx.jpeg
db_file_img_6826_800xauto.jpg

Damn! Planning a water loop is very difficult. :confused: I want to go with a pump/reservoir combo, probably go with a Bitspower setup. I still want to go with hardline tubing but not acrylic, I want to go with PETG tubing. I've been learning that acrylic tubing is harder to cut and it splinters.

I'm also going to liquid cool my GPU as well so I'm not sure if I should go with dual rads or just one. I'm leaning towards dual though. I might go with a 360mm rad in the front of the case and probably a 280mm rad on the top or just keep it to two 280mm rads.

I've decided that all my fitting are going to be Bitspower fittings because they look the best and have such a large variety probably going to go with either matte black or black sparkle.

Well I'll continue to keep you all updated. :)

Gonna watch this thread :)

I love that Manta case.
If I would build one (not anymore, gone the laptop route) I would use that case and put a mATX board in.
I know it's mini ITX but there is so much room in it. Someone did it that way.

Looking forward to your build log ;)

Reactions: Lone Crusader
I've been looking around and I think I've changed my mind on the Reservoir/Pump combo and I'll probably go with a Protium from Singularity Computers. There made of clear acrylic tube and I'll most likely go with a black Acetyl top, They are very nice! :D

protium-full-range-3.jpg protium-medium-2.jpg protium-medium-4.jpg

For those of you watching the thread, sorry but I'm having to put this on hold right now due to other obligations and priorities. Your welcome to keep watching but I won't be posting for a while.

Well I've decided that I'm going to pick this back up a little at a time but mostly come tax season for the simple reason that I'll have more money available. I've decided to go with my first idea and go with the NZXT Manta mITX case. Right now I have the Cooler Master Cosmos II super tower and it's just to damn big plus it's already 4 1/2 years old so it's time for an upgrade. I've decided that I'm not going to do a full custom liquid cooled system, instead I'm going to do an AIO CPU liquid cooler. This will shave about $800-$1200 on the setup. With what I have in mind it's already a $2500 system which is exactly what I paid for my gaming laptop. I'm going to name this system the Manticore. I'm thinking about going to a local laser engraving shop to put a picture of a Manticore on the front of the case. In case you don't know what a Manticore is here's a picture of one. (Mythical Beast)
manticore.jpg

Here's sorta like what it's going to look like as I'm aiming for an RGB setup.
asus-miniitx-z270e-nzxt-build-45.jpeg

I've since changed my parts list so here that is.
  • Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Corsair - H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Asus - ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 -Intel 100/200 Series PC memory CMR16GX4M2C3200C16
  • Samsung - 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
  • Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card
  • NZXT - Manta Mini ITX Desktop Case
  • EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Pioneer BDR-XS06 Blu-Ray 6X/DVD/CD USB 3.0 Slim External Slot Burner
  • (1) Corsair - HD120 RGB 54.4 CFM 120mm Fan
  • (4) Corsair - HD140 RGB 74.0 CFM 140mm Fan
  • Corsair - K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard
  • Corsair HD Series HD140 RGB LED 140mm High Performance RGB LED PWM Dual Fans with Controller Cooling and Corsair Fan Controller Commander PRO
  • CORSAIR RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion Kit
  • Ensourced Custom PSU cables (https://www.ensourced.net/)
My PCPartPicker build.

I do want to do a partial VLog but I know I'm going to take lots of pictures and I'll definitely post all that here so stay tuned.

I do plan on installing a 7 inch capacitive touch display on the front panel as a stat screen with fan speed, temperature & lighting software running on it. I'll be able to use it as a secondary monitor (actually it will be my 3rd monitor) and I can also use it as a touch screen too. Here's a video of one being used as a stat screen and how to set it all up for around $70. I'll have to of course use my Dremel to cut out the square hole to place it in. That won't be any issue though. It will be running Corsair's LINK software on it.
gAGCzMZ.jpg

You know trying to build or design a build is f*cking hard as hell, especially if your building an elite system like I'm trying to do. There are endless amounts of variables to take into consideration that formulate a build nowadays. It wasn't 10-15 years ago everything was simple, you choose a case, motherboard, CPU, RAM, graphics card, a sound card if you wanted to have sound, and a mouse, keyboard and monitor and that was it.

You only had to choose whether you wanted AMD or Intel. Pre-Nvidia days: AMD vs ATI, there were only three or four motherboard manufacturers and each one depending on the platform you wanted there were only a handful of boards that would suit your needs sometimes only one or two that were available. Oh and overclocking your CPU was next to non existent because either Intel, AMD or Cyrix processors were locked at the factory due to legal limitations on the copyright of the chip or dye; whichever. Nowadays if you overclock that CPU your essentially agreeing that the manufacturer can't be held liable if you just so happen to toast that thing and burn your mobo or even your whole rig up.

Now what were facing is a ton of different variables. What CPU goes to what chipset, what RAM is compatible with that chipset. That fancy m-ITX case you just bought won't fit the motherboard you've been eyeing for the past week or month. Then once you get that figured out that nice shiny graphics card you just bought is too long for the case you just bought, now you have to start sending sh!t back. Oh but it doesn't stop there, once you find a graphics card that fits the case you have then you realize once the All-in-One liquid cooler once installed, the graphics card won't fit again because once again, it's too long. eek! So you decide to mount your AIO liquid cooler on the top instead but you find you can't because once you get it installed and the fans that accompany it, it won't clear space for your RAM modules because the spreaders on them are too tall. EEK! again! What about that power supply? Does it have enough wattage to handle the rig you just built. Oh Sh!t! I've got two video cards running in SLI formation and I don't have enough power to power the system now and keep getting voltage spikes that in turn will give you BSOD (the infamous Blue Screen of Death).

Then do you want an RGB build or not (case lighting extreme)? Do you want to go full loop on a water cooling rig? Do you want to buy an unlocked CPU so you can overclock? Nowadays most motherboard manufacturers will have in there UEFI the option to overclock with a simple set of software tools built in that do it for you, but a lot of new folks to the PC world are afraid of cooking that shiny new $300 CPU so they don't. Asus has THE most advanced UEFI ever to hit the market. It will run right from Windows and tweak your system and see it's tolerances to determine not just how high it can overclock your CPU but also adjust your CAS frequencies on your RAM and voltages and everything else all at once. Most other mobo manufacturers you still have to know what your doing and perform the overclock manually still making it difficult for newcomers.

Well I was going to go with that Manta mITX case and mITX mobo but those kind of mobos are very lacking. I'd like to stay with Asus but there mITX mobo doesn't even have a USB 2.0 header on board which makes water cooling with an AIO cooler almost impossible. I mean I could get a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 adapter cable but then I've used up my USB 3.0 header and can't plug in my front USB 3.0 ports on my case. So in order to stay with an Asus mobo I'm forced to switch to a larger mobo which now I'll have to choose a different case, so I've decided to go back to my original decision and get the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass edition. Besides I really wanted a case that has tempered glass. That's all the rave right now, that and RGB lighting.

Anyways here my parts list. PCPartsPicker

If I can get enough money together I'll go with THIS build, but it's a slim chance. It's still The Black Lotus but I call it The Black Lotus - Extreme. The difference is these components. Brings it up almost $1000 more.
  • Intel - Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor Socket LGA 2066
  • ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING Motherboard
  • Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
  • G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Well I've done a lot and I mean a LOT of research on just about every aspect of a complete build. I've upped my ante though and decided I'm going to go with AMD's new Threadripper series processor. Yes I believe I'll be able to do this as it's very very expensive meaning this will be about a $3400 build. Thankfully I have my old Verizon iPhone 7+ that I can sell and make around $600-$700 for it on eBay which will help out. The rest I'll be able to pay with my tax return come tax season.

I'm calling this build The Blue Sasquatch! New case too as the Phanteks one would not accommodate a EATX motherboard and that's what these new motherboards are because of the shear size of these new AMD Threadripper processors. Meet the Xigmatek Prosper and nope it hasn't even been released yet. I've seen only one video of it where it was viewed at Computex 2017, it is due out in a couple of weeks though. It has tempered glass on all four sides of it; left, right, front & top. Mid tower sized. Photo courtesy of Xigmatek's website.

prosper.JPG

New build as follows...
  • AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5GHz 12-Core Processor
  • Enermax - LiqTech TR4 360 102.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • ARCTIC - MX4 4g Thermal Paste
  • ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard
  • G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  • Patriot - Hellfire 480GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
  • EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 Video Card
  • Xigmatek Prosper ATX Tower Case Tempered Glass
  • EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Pioneer BDR-XS06 Blu-Ray 6X/DVD/CD USB 3.0 Slim External Slot Burner
  • Anker USB 3.0 4-Slot Card Reader with Built-in 0.4ft Cable for SDXC, SDHC, SD, CF, High-Speed CF (UDMA), MS, Micro SDXC, Micro SDHC, Micro SD Cards [Support UHS-I Cards]
  • Thermaltake Riing Plus 12 RGB Tt Premium Edition 120mm Software Enabled Case/Radiator Fan -Triple Pack- CL-F053-PL12SW-A
  • Thermaltake CL-F054-PL12SW-A Riing Plus 12 LED RGB Radiator Fan TT Premium Edition (5 Fan Pack)
PCPartPicker List

Will rename the thread "The Blue Sasquatch".

Since the new 8th Gen Intel processors and z370 motherboards have hit, this is my new build. Some of these I already have. This build I'm calling "The Dark Crystal".

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($389.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Fractal Design - Celsius S36 87.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $119.99)
Thermal Compound: Xigmatek - PTI-G4512 4g Thermal Paste (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($207.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($369.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: SK hynix - SL308 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($233.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 Video Card (Purchased For $776.98)
Case: Corsair - Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $179.98)
Power Supply: Corsair - 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $184.99)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($30.00)
Sound Card: Creative Labs - Sound BlasterX AE-5 Sound Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair - LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.2 CFM 120mm Fans ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair - LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.2 CFM 120mm Fans ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Corsair - K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Other: [Upgraded Version] Anker USB 3.0 4-Slot Card Reader with Built-in 0.4ft Cable for SDXC, SDHC, SD, CF, High-Speed CF (UDMA), MS, Micro SDXC, Micro SDHC, Micro SD Cards [Support UHS-I Cards] ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Other: CORSAIR Lighting Node PRO CL-9011109-WW, RGB Lighting Controller with ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Corsair Fan Controller Commander Pro (CL-9011110-WW) (Purchased For $64.60)
Other: 15 Foot, Right Angle - 18AWG AC Power Cord Cable - Black (Right Angle - Desktop/Tower/Printer, 15 Foot) (Purchased For $12.97)
Other: SMSL AD18 HIFI Audio Stereo Amplifier with Bluetooth 4.2 Supports Apt-X,USB DSP Full Digital Power Amplifier 2.1 for Speaker,Small 80Wx2 Class D Amplifier with Subwoofer Output ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Pioneer BDR-XS06 Blu-Ray 6X/DVD/CD USB 3.0 Slim External Slot Burner ($129.95)
Other: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Other: PSU Shroud for Corsair Crystal 570X Replacement Shroud (Purchased For $104.02)
Other: Mod-One - Custom Sleeved Corsair® Power Supply Cable - 24-Pin ($77.97)
Other: Mod-One - Custom Sleeved Corsair® Power Supply Cable - 8-Pin EPS ($35.67)
Other: Mod-One - Custom Sleeved Corsair® Power Supply Cable - 14-Pin PCIE (6 + 8pin) ($53.43)
Other: Mod-One - Custom Sleeved Corsair® Power Supply Cable - SATA Power ($20.39)
Other: Mod-One - Custom Sleeved Corsair® Power Supply Cable - SATA Power ($20.39)
Other: MNPCTech - 24 Pin ATX Stealth BILLET Cable Comb ($3.99)
Other: MNPCTech - 14 Pin GPU Stealth BILLET Cable Comb ($3.99)
Other: MNPCTech - 8 Pin ATX Stealth BILLET Cable Comb ($3.99)
Other: MNPCTech - 8 Pin ATX Stealth BILLET Cable Comb ($3.99)
Other: CableMod ModMesh SATA 3 Cable 30cm – BLOOD RED ($9.90)
Total: $4055.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-26 06:48 EDT-0400

Last edited:
I got some custom modifications done for the new case. Presently that case comes with a power supply shroud but Corsair failed to finish it off. I found a guy who does custom CNC machine work and fabrication and he was able to design , machine, fabricate and powder coat a new one to my specs. This new on has two cutouts at the bottom of the motherboard for the little wires like the power, reset, HDD LED, HD Audio and PS3 header plugs whereas the stock one did not. Also the new one has a extra cutout for the cables that go to the video card and also has an end cap which the stock one does not have (shame on you Corsair) that showed your ugly PSU cables. Now with the added end cap you won't see the untidy mess of the PSU cables. Pictures of the work done. I just drilled out the rivets from the old one and put new rivets to attach the new one.

The old PSU shroud with no cutouts and no endcap.
20171130_092433271_iOS.jpg 20171130_092501679_iOS.jpg

The new PSU shroud with added cutouts and added endcap.
20171130_092725399_iOS.jpg 20171130_092814371_iOS.jpg

Well it's been a while since I updated this thread and yes it's still planned. Not long now though, I should be getting my money real soon to buy the rest of the components. Here's a few updates.

_MG_2573.JPG _MG_2574.JPG _MG_2576.JPG _MG_2578.JPG _MG_2581.JPG _MG_2583.JPG

Starting from left to right.

1. Custom modded Power EPS cable for the motherboard from Mod-One
  2. Custom modded 14-Pin VGA cable from Mod-One
  3. (3) Custom modded SATA Power cables from Mod-One
  4. Logitech G13 Gaming Keypad & Logitech G502 Preteus Spectrum Gaming Mouse
  5. (Not Shown) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum with Romer-G Switches Gaming Keyboard
  6. Custom Modded RGB Acrylic SSD cover from JMmods
  7. Just got yesterday Blue Yeti Microphone with windscreen and pop filter
Should be getting the Custom modded 24-Pin Motherboard cable Friday (will post a picture when I get it)
Really proud of this, video of my custom 5" mini LCD display for a system stat screen

I don't know what I'm looking at once we start getting past a few components but it looks to be blazing my friend