All things Guitar Hero Megathread - Warriors of Rock OUT NOW!

Jan 29, 2009
The Guitar Hero series is a series of music video games first published in 2005 by RedOctane and Mitchell Concanen, and distributed by Activision in which players use a guitar-shaped peripheral to simulate the playing of lead, bass guitar and rhythm guitar across numerous rock music songs.

61PUKDr3qQL._AA300_.jpg
51hA9foVwBL._AA300_.jpg
61qVLQuCWFL._AA300_.jpg
51E7cH0h%2B1L._AA300_.jpg
61w5wfhFuuL._AA300_.jpg
61vHPpulwiL._AA300_.jpg
51FdHK24OqL._AA300_.jpg

Players match notes that scroll on-screen to colored fret buttons on the controller, strumming the controller in time to the music in order to score points, and keep the virtual audience excited. The games attempt to mimic many features of playing a real guitar, including the use of fast-fingering hammer-ons and pull-offs and the use of the whammy bar to alter the pitch of notes.

Most games support single player modes, typically a Career mode to play through all the songs in the game, and both competitive and cooperative multiplayer modes. With the introduction of Guitar Hero World Tour in 2008, the game includes support for a four-player band including vocals and drums. The series initially used mostly cover version of songs created by WaveGroup Sound, but most recent titles feature soundtracks that are fully master recordings, and in some cases, special re-recordings, of the songs. Later titles in the series feature support for downloadable content in the form of new songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally. Starting Sunday Guitar Hero World Tour players will be able to purchase individual guitar controllers and drum kit controllers in stores in North America.

While the quite lengthy press release goes into all kinds of details we already knew about the drum, the guitar and the songs you can use to play them with, it doesn't actually list a price.

Fortunately GameStop, which has the correct date, does.

According to the online retailer the Wireless Drum kit will sell for $100, while the guitar will sell for $70.

Not to be outdone by Rock band adding 14 songs to their catalog, Guitar Hero World Tour fires back by adding more than a dozen new tracks of their own - and Marissa Miller playing the game in her underwear.

The third "European Track Pack" hits first this week with three songs from Vanilla Sky, The Rasmus, and Les Rita Mitsouko. Two weeks after that more international bands will be added when Within Temptation, Die Toten Hosen, and M-Clan have hit songs of their own added.

That same day Jimi Hendrix returns to the game with a second track pack of his own including "Freedom", "Angel", and a live version of "Foxy Lady" from Woodstock. The first track pack of his will be made available for Wii owners as single tracks as well.

Then to finish out the month, legendary rockers Queen takes center stage with their first 3-song track pack including "We are the Champions" (check out the Legend of Zelda tribute to this song), "Fat Bottomed Girls", and "C-lebrity". As an added bonus that day, the James Bond theme has been re-recorded and will be available as DLC as well.

All details including platform information, dates, and prices are below in the release from Activision.

By the way, did anybody enter the Bob Seger Guitar Hero tournament? Let us know how you did.

---

This month, gamers will again be able to expand their virtual set lists with over a dozen new downloadable tracks for Activision Publishing, Inc.’s (Nasdaq: ATVI) Guitar Hero® World Tour. With over 37 million songs downloaded for the franchise to date, Guitar Hero® fans will soon be able to experience more awesome music – from the likes of English rock ‘n’ roll icons Queen, guitar legend Jimi Hendrix, a host of European superstars and more – which will join the more than 550 songs rocking the Guitar Hero catalog already.

On March 5th, Guitar Hero World Tour’s global music library will continue to grow with three additional tracks from some of Europe’s greatest bands. The third European Track Pack, which includes the hit song “Break It Out” by Italian pop punk band Vanilla Sky and “In the Shadows” by one of Finland’s most successful bands, The Rasmus, will also contain “C'est Comme Ça” the top single from French pop rock duo Les Rita Mitsouko’s 1986 album The No Comprendo.

As a follow-up to the third European Track Pack, rockers from the Netherlands, Germany and Spain will also be contributing to Guitar Hero World Tour’s increasing catalog of downloadable content. On March 19th, the Dutch symphonic rock/metal band Within Temptation takes the virtual stage with “What Have You Done,” the first single off their fourth studio album The Heart of Everything. Joining them are German punk band Die Toten Hosen, who made their debut appearance in Guitar Hero® III: Legends of Rock, playing an encore as part of the full band experience with their 1988 hit “Hier Kommt Alex” and Spanish rock band M-Clan with their classic song “Carolina.”

Already appearing as an in game playable character; on March 19th, guitar savant and music legend Jimi Hendrix returns to Guitar Hero World Tour’s stage once again with an extraordinary three song Track Pack that will set fans fingers ablaze as they strive to keep up with his intense guitar riffs and insane solos. The second Jimi Hendrix Track Pack features “Freedom” and” Angel,” two hit singles off of his First Rays of the New Rising Sun album, and a one of a kind 1969 live from Woodstock recording of the timeless classic “Foxey Lady.” Additionally, the songs from the first Jimi Hendrix Track Pack – “If 6 was 9,” “Little Wing” and “Fire” – will also be available on March 19th as downloadable singles for Wii™.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees Queen, one of the greatest and most influential bands of all-time, take center stage on March 26th with downloadable content for Guitar Hero World Tour. The three song Queen Track Pack contains some of the band’s most iconic tracks including the power ballad, “We Are The Champions,” which has become one of the most common anthems celebrating the ultimate victory, as well as “Fat Bottomed Girls” from the 1978 album Jazz and “C-lebrity,” from their 2008 album with Paul Rodgers, The Cosmos Rocks.

On March 26th, Bond aficionados and Guitar Hero rockers alike will have another reason to celebrate as Guitar Hero World Tour releases a new recording of the classic James Bond theme song as downloadable content.

The two European Track Packs, Jimi Hendrix Track Pack and Queen Track Pack will be available on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft for 440 Microsoft Points and on the PlayStation®Store for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system for $5.49. The songs in the two European Track Packs, Queen Track Pack plus the James Bond Track will be released as downloadable singles for Xbox 360 for 160 Microsoft Points, PLAYSTATION 3 system for $1.99 and Wii™ for 200 Wii Points each. The Jimi Hendrix tracks will be available as downloadable singles for Wii for 200 Wii Points.

Guitar Hero: Van Halen

Executives have spoken of it. Ratings Boards have classified it. And now the world's largest games retailer is accepting preorders for it. Activision, it's about time you announced Guitar Hero: Van Halen.

A GameStop employee has helpfully pointed us towards his overseer's website, where you can throw some money down on the unannounced title right now. There are listings for 360, PS3, Wii and PS2 versions, while there's also an awfully precise-looking release date of July 28 in there as well.

While, as Van Halen fans, we're not ones to look a gift horse in the mouth, the fact this thing is real is a little odd. No offence to Van Halen, but they're not exactly in the same league - in terms of popularity and marketability - as Aerosmith and Metallica.

Leading us to ponder: what's next? Guitar Hero: Poison? Guitar Hero: Meatloaf? Guitar Hero: Incubus?

Kotaku

Guitar Hero: Smash Hits

Activision has revealed all of the tracks that will be included in Guitar Hero: Smash Hits when it launches on June 16th:

12073.jpg

Guitar Hero

* Blue Öyster Cult - "Godzilla"
* Boston - "More Than A Feeling"
* Deep Purple - "Smoke On The Water"
* Franz Ferdinand - "Take Me Out"
* Helmet - "Unsung (Live)"
* Incubus - "Stellar"
* Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - "I Love Rock N' Roll"
* Ozzy Osbourne - "Bark At The Moon"
* Pantera - "Cowboys From Hell (Live)"
* Queen - "Killer Queen"
* Queens Of The Stone Age - "No One Knows"
* The Donnas - "Take It Off"
* The Exies - "Hey You"
* White Zombie - "Thunder Kiss '65"

Guitar Hero II

* Alice In Chains - "Them Bones"
* Avenged Sevenfold - "Beast And The Harlot"
* Danzig - "Mother"
* Foo Fighters - "Monkey Wrench"
* Iron Maiden - "The Trooper"
* Jane's Addiction - "Stop!"
* Kansas - "Carry On Wayward Son"
* Lamb Of God - "Laid To Rest"
* Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Free Bird"
* Mötley Crüe- "Shout At The Devil"
* Nirvana - "Heart-Shaped Box"
* Rage Against The Machine - "Killing In The Name"
* Reverend Horton Heat - "Psychobilly Freakout"
* Rush - "YYZ"
* Stone Temple Pilots - "Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart"
* The Police - "Message In A Bottle"
* The Sword - "Freya"
* Warrant - "Cherry Pie"
* Wolfmother - "Woman"

Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s

* Anthrax - "Caught In A Mosh"
* Extreme - "Play With Me"
* Judas Priest - "Electric Eye"
* Poison - "Nothin' But A Good Time"
* Ratt - "Round and Round"
* Twisted Sister - "I Wanna Rock"

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock

* AFI - "Miss Murder"
* DragonForce - "Through The Fire And Flames"
* Heart - "Barracuda"
* Kiss - "Rock And Roll All Nite"
* Living Colour - "Cult Of Personality"
* Pat Benatar - "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"
* Priestess - "Lay Down"
* Slayer - "Raining Blood"

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith

* Aerosmith - "Back In The Saddle

Last edited by a moderator:
will this work with World Tour (i.e. full band) or is it just the original guitar tracks?

This is just my assumption, but I'm going to say no. I would assume this is just a collection of all the better songs onto one disk. Just a way to get more money.

The only reason to get it really would be if you have a non-BC ps3 and/or you want more trophies.
________
EXPERT INSURANCE

Last edited:
Rumor: Guitar Hero 5 Tracklist

While it's not really known who the leaker is or how he/she got the track list, but I think we can be fairly certain, nay ULTRA CERTAIN that the following 85 songs are indeed the real complete track listing for Activion's Guitar Hero 5:

3 Doors Down - "Kryptonite"
A Perfect Circle - "Judith"
AFI - "Medicate"
Arctic Monkeys - "Brianstorm"
Attack! Attack! UK - "You and Me"
Band Of Horses - "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands"
Beastie Boys - "Gratitude"
Beck - "Gamma Ray"
Billy Idol - "Dancing with Myself"
Billy Squier - "Lonely is the Night"
Blink-182 - "The Rock Show"
Blur - "Song 2"
Bob Dylan - "All Along the Watchtower"
Bon Jovi - "You Give Love A Bad Name"
Brand New - "Sowing Season"
Bush - "Comedown"
Children Of Bodom - "Done With Everything, Die For Nothing"
Coldplay - "In My Place"
Darker My Love - "Blue Day"
Darkest Hour - "Demon(s)"
David Bowie - "Fame"
Deep Purple - "Woman From Tokyo ('99 Remix)"
Dire Straits - "Sultans of Swing"
Duran Duran - "Hungry Like The Wolf"
Eagles Of Death Metal - "Wannabe in L.A."
Elliott Smith - "L.A."
Elton John - "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting"
Face To Face - "Disconnected"
Garbage - "Only Happy When It Rains"
Gorillaz - "Feel Good Inc."
Gov't Mule - "Streamline Woman"
Grand Funk Railroad - "We're an American Band"
Iggy Pop - "Lust For Life"
Iron Maiden - "2 Minutes to Midnight"
Jeff Beck - "Scatterbrain"
Jimmy Eat World - "Bleed American"
John Mellencamp - "Hurts So Good"
Johnny Cash - "Ring of Fire"
Kaiser Chiefs - "Never Miss a Beat"
King Crimson - "21st Century Schizoid Man"
Kings Of Leon - "Sex on Fire"
Kiss - "Shout it Out Loud"
Love and Rockets - "Mirror People"
Megadeth - "Sweating Bullets"
Mötley Crüe - "Looks That Kill"
Muse - "Plug in Baby"
My Morning Jacket - "One Big Holiday"
Nirvana - "Lithium"
Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
No Doubt - "Ex-Girlfriend"
Peter Frampton - "Do You Feel Like We Do (Live)"
Public Enemy Featuring Zakk Wylde - "Bring the Noise 20xx"
Queen&David Bowie - "Under Pressure"
Queens Of The Stone Age - "Make it With Chu"
Rammstein - "Du Hast"
Rose Hill Drive - "Sneak Out"
Rush - "The Spirit of Radio (Live, 2008)"
Santana - "No One To Depend On (Live)"
Scars On Broadway - "They Say"
Screaming Trees - "Nearly Lost You"
Smashing Pumpkins - "Bullet With Butterfly Wings"
Sonic Youth - "Incinerate"
Spacehog - "In the Meantime"
Stevie Wonder - "Superstition"
Sublime - "What I Got"
Sunny Day Real Estate - "Seven"
T. Rex - "20th Century Boy"
The Bronx - "Six Days a Week"
The Derek Trucks Band - "Younk Funk"
The Duke Spirit - "Send a Little Love Token"
The Killers - "All the Pretty Faces"
The Police - "So Lonely"
The Raconteurs - "Steady As She Goes"
The Rolling Stones - "Sympathy for the Devil"
The Sword - "Maiden, Mother&Crone"
The White Stripes - "Blue Orchid"
Thin Lizzy - "Jailbreak"
Thrice - "Deadbolt"
Tom Petty - "Runnin' Down a Dream"
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "American Girl"
TV On The Radio - "Wolf Like Me"
Vampire Weekend - "A-Punk"
Weezer - "Why Bother?"
Wild Cherry - "Play That Funky Music"
Wolfmother - "Back Round"

Guitar Hero 5 will come out 9-1-09 for the XBOX 360, PS3, Wii, and PS2. There is a guitar version but there is no full band kit, and all existing GH instruments will work. One of the new features allows any 4 instruments to be played at once, 4 guitars, 4 drum sets, whatever! Time will only tell if the above track list is true, but I'm ULTRA CERTAIN it is, if it's not right, I will allow all of our readers to prank call Brian Bentley

Full List:

3 Doors Down - "Kryptonite"
· Arctic Monkeys - "Brianstorm"
· Blink-182 - "The Rock Show"
· Dire Straits - "Sultans Of Swing"
· Jimmy Eat World - "Bleed American"
· Johnny Cash - "Ring Of Fire"
· Megadeth - "Sweating Bullets"
· Mötley Crüe - "Looks That Kill"
· Muse - "Plug In Baby"
· Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
· Queen & David Bowie - "Under Pressure"
· Stevie Wonder - "Superstition"
· The Killers - "All The Pretty Faces"
· The Raconteurs - "Steady As She Goes"
· TV On The Radio - "Wolf Like Me"
· A Perfect Circle - "Judith"
· AFI - "Medicate"
· Attack! Attack! UK - "You And Me"
· Band Of Horses - "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands"
· Beastie Boys - "Gratitude"
· Beck - "Gamma Ray"
· Billy Idol - "Dancing With Myself"
· Billy Squier - "Lonely Is The Night"
· Blur - "Song 2"
· Bob Dylan - "All Along The Watchtower"
· Bon Jovi - "You Give Love A Bad Name"
· Brand New - "Sowing Season (Yeah)"
· The Bronx - "Six Days A Week"
· Bush - "Comedown"
· Children Of Bodom - "Done With Everything, Die For Nothing"
· Coldplay - "In My Place"
· Darker My Love - "Blue Day"
· Darkest Hour - "Demon(s)"
· David Bowie - "Fame"
· Deep Purple - "Woman From Tokyo ('99 Remix)"
· The Derek Trucks Band - "Younk Funk"
· The Duke Spirit - "Send A Little Love Token"
· Duran Duran - "Hungry Like The Wolf"
· Eagles Of Death Metal - "Wannabe In L.A."
· Elliott Smith - "L.A."
· Elton John - "Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)"
· Face To Face - "Disconnected"
· Garbage - "Only Happy When It Rains"
· Gorillaz - "Feel Good Inc."
· Gov't Mule - "Streamline Woman"
· Grand Funk Railroad - "We're An American Band"
· Iggy Pop - "Lust For Life (Live)"
· Iron Maiden - "2 Minutes To Midnight"
· Jeff Beck - "Scatterbrain (Live)"
· John Mellencamp - "Hurts So Good"
· Kaiser Chiefs - "Never Miss A Beat"
· King Crimson - "21st Century Schizoid Man"
· Kings Of Leon - "Sex On Fire"
· Kiss - "Shout It Out Loud"
· Love and Rockets - "Mirror People"
· My Morning Jacket - "One Big Holiday"
· Nirvana - "Lithium (Live)"
· No Doubt - "Ex-Girlfriend"
· Peter Frampton - "Do You Feel Like We Do? (Live)"
· The Police - "So Lonely"
· Public Enemy Featuring Zakk Wylde - "Bring the Noise 20XX"
· Queens Of The Stone Age - "Make It Wit Chu"
· Rammstein – "Du Hast"
· The Rolling Stones - "Sympathy For The Devil"
· Rose Hill Drive - "Sneak Out"
· Rush - "The Spirit Of Radio (Live)"
· Santana - "No One To Depend On (Live)"
· Scars On Broadway - "They Say"
· Screaming Trees - "Nearly Lost You"
· Smashing Pumpkins - "Bullet With Butterfly Wings"
· Sonic Youth - "Incinerate"
· Spacehog - "In The Meantime"
· Sublime - "What I Got"
· Sunny Day Real Estate - "Seven"
· T. Rex - "20th Century Boy"
· The Sword - "Maiden, Mother & Crone"
· Thin Lizzy - "Jailbreak"
· Thrice - "Deadbolt"
· Tom Petty - "Runnin' Down A Dream"
· Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "American Girl"
· Vampire Weekend - "A-Punk"
· Weezer - "Why Bother?"
· The White Stripes - "Blue Orchid"
· Wild Cherry - "Play That Funky Music"
· Wolfmother - "Back Round"

Activision was quick to talk about its line-up of music-centic games coming this year during its call to investors, and there are loads of ‘em as you would expect.

Guitar Hero 5, Band Hero, and DJ Hero are all expected before the end of the year and now you can add the elusive Guitar Hero: Van Halen to the mix.

Expected to launch on December 22, the title will feature 19 other bands besides Van Halen, as we’ve told you before, and has 25 VH tracks on the disc with three guitar solos for a total of around 47 songs.

It is to be made available for PS2, PS3, Wii and Xbox 360.

Full track list is posted after the break.

Van Halen Songs
“Ain’t Talkin Bout Love”
“And The Cradle Will Rock”
“Atomic Punk”
“Beautiful Girls”
“Cathedral” (solo)
“Dance The Night Away”
“Eruption” (solo)
“Everybody Wants Some”
“Feel Your Love Tonight”
“Hang ‘Em High”
“Hear About It Later”
“Hot For Teacher”
“Ice Cream Man”
“I’m The One”
“Jamie’s Cryin”
“Jump”
“Little Guitars”
“Loss Of Control”
“Mean Street”
“Panama”
“Pretty Woman”
“Romeo Delight”
“Running With The Devil”
“So This Is Love”
“Somebody Get Me A Doctor”
“Spanish Fly” (solo)
“Unchained”
“You Really Got Me”

Similar Tracks Also In The Game
Alter Bridge - “Come To Life”
Billy Idol - “White Wedding”
blink-182 - “First Date”
Deep Purple - “Space Truckin”
Foo Fighters - “Best Of You”
Foreigner - “Double Vision”
Fountains of Wayne - “Stacy’s Mom”
Jimmy Eat World - “Pain”
Judas Priest - “Painkiller”
Killswitch Engage - “The End Of Heartache”
Lenny Kravitz - “Rock And Roll Is Dead”
Queen - “I Want It All”
Queens of the Stone Age - “Sick, Sick, Sick”
Tenacious D - “Master Exploder”
The Clash - “Safe European Home”
The Offspring - “Pretty Fly For A White Guy”
Third Eye Blind - “Semi-Charmed Life”
Weezer - “Dope Nose”
Yellowcard - “The Takedown”

Guitar Hero 5 will support song import

If you plan on purchasing Guitar Hero 5 and are worried your tracks from old GH games won’t be available, rest assured, you will be able to import songs you’ve already purchased from DLC or game discs. The latest installment of Guitar Hero will be able to run songs from Guitar Hero World Tour and Guitar Hero Smash Hits with a simple download.

World Tour owners can download a free update of Guitar Hero 5 that will allow backwards-compatibility, and incorporates GH5 features to the older songs. This feature is only available for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions.

As for the Guitar Hero World Tour and Smash Hits discs, Activision says you will need to purchase a “nominal re-licensing fee.” Make sure you hold onto your GHWT and SH games’ manuals, as you’ll need the unique 20-digit code to enable the songs in GH5.

the “nominal re-licensing fee” is BULLSHIT. It's so crappy that big business will push those fees onto the consumer for no reason. Why don't THEY pay them? They're taking our $60 per disk.

/rant

BUY GUITAR HERO® 5 – GET A COPY OF GUITAR HERO® VAN HALEN®!!!

All you have to do is preorder, seems like a gimmick, but I may try it out at Gamestop, to see if i can just preorder, and then cancel it, to get the free game, as I am a Rock Band guy. Full Press Release Below:

I bet you’re thinking, we can’t be serious, right? Yes, we are serious and excited to bring the Guitar Hero fans this awesome offer! With every pre-order or purchase of specially marked copies of Guitar Hero® 5 during the month of September, living room legends will be able to rock out with an advance copy of the unreleased Guitar Hero® Van Halen® (up to a $60 MSRP value), long before it takes the stage in stores.

Rock out to over 130 on-disc tracks in two games by pre-ordering Guitar Hero 5 now at your local retailer or at http://gh5.guitarhero.com/preorder.php, or by picking up specially marked copies of the game any time during the month of September, and take advantage of this limited time offer. I bet you’re thinking, we can’t be serious, right? Yes, we are serious and excited to bring the Guitar Hero fans this awesome offer! With every pre-order or purchase of specially marked copies of Guitar Hero® 5 during the month of September, living room legends will be able to rock out with an advance copy of the unreleased Guitar Hero® Van Halen® (up to a $60 MSRP value), long before it takes the stage in stores.

Please visit www.guitarhero.com/vanhalengameoffer for full offer and redemption details.

So what are you waiting for? Go pre-order your copy of Guitar Hero 5 NOW so you can get your copy of Guitar Hero Van Halen because really, this offer is not going to last forever!

Guitar Hero 5 is rated “T” (Teen – Mild Lyrics, Mild Suggestive Themes) by the ESRB and will be released for the Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PLAYSTATION 3 and PlayStation 2. For more information about Guitar Hero 5, please visit gh5.guitarhero.com.

Guitar Hero Van Halen is rated “T” (Teen – Mild Lyrics, Mild Suggestive Themes) by the ESRB and will be released for the Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PLAYSTATION 3 and PlayStation 2. For more information about Guitar Hero Van Halen, please visit www.vanhalen.guitarhero.com.