UK
Release date: May 9th, 2016
Purchase link: Amelie (live)
Price: £14.99

11243882-3074363309456875.jpg

11243882-3504363309936371.jpg

11243882-8204363309739877.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To be as fair, maybe the titles you listed are considered "Cult" titles and therefore unsurprisingly sold out quickly and consequently not included on my list - BATTLE ROYALE for example probably has had about half-a-dozen Blu-ray releases from Arrow here in the U.K. including a massive and comprehensive digipack, and OLDBOY has already had two steelbook releases (Play 2012 & 2013). As for THE RAID 1 & 2 - have yet to watch either but by most accounts both as hard-hitting as the other two you noted.
Only watched a few from my list -THE ORPHANAGE, NIKITA and ZATOICHI - and love all three - can only assume that the reason they have not sold out is the foreign language bit . . .

well i see that only zavvi need that amount of time to shift there steels and thats in general not just the foreign steels. i still dont see them need longer to sell out, nearly every zavvi steel needs about 1 year to get oos and if you list titles like dr mabuse, which was prolly a 10k print run, than look at the fact the whole wave is still in stock, not just the foreign titles. same goes with any other retailer if you look at there releases they dont seem to shift there foreign titles slower as there other titles in general as well.
if we go back to amelie it didn't took kimchi longer to sell them as other titles.

I'd be really surprised if ANY of these foreign language steelbooks has/had a print run of more than 4,000, including AMELIE.
As for Eureka steels being still in stock: you'll have difficulty finding any of the following unless you go on the secondary market:-
METROPOLIS (both editions - 2010 & 2015 releases)
TOUCH OF EVIL (2011)
SILENT RUNNING (2011)
DOUBLE INDEMNITY (2012)
Apologies for taking this thread away from the steel in question and I think we'd better leave it there.

I'd be really surprised if ANY of these foreign language steelbooks has/had a print run of more than 4,000, including AMELIE.
As for Eureka steels being still in stock: you'll have difficulty finding any of the following unless you go on the secondary market:-
METROPOLIS (both editions - 2010 & 2015 releases)
TOUCH OF EVIL (2011)
SILENT RUNNING (2011)
DOUBLE INDEMNITY (2012)
Apologies for taking this thread away from the steel in question and I think we'd better leave it there.

Silent running and touch of evil came out earlier as the other steels, metropolis maybe oop of both, the original and the reprint releases, but i hope you are aware this is an german foreign movie. makes double indemnity 1 of 10 steels of the wave being oop. infact overall with shogun assasin and nosferatu there are actually more foreign titles from masters of cinema releases oop as native movies.

but you are right this is getting a bit offtrack, welcome to pm me for further discussions though

On amelie: i think it's really hard to judge this mockup could turn out either superb or bad in hands. depending on the actual finish, ill wait for pics before buying this

Last edited:
If there is some improvement in the Amelie figure drawing, it could be quite nice, otherwise no way for me. Her face looks horrible on the photo.

I do like the look of this front art as it's very different to the standard pic of Audrey Tautou that we normally see on the front :thumbs:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also wondering about the finish and trying to second guess it from previous Momentum Pictures steelbooks is difficult as I can only spot three examples of Momentum steels on my shelves - THE RAID, SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS and LAWLESS and de-bossing is the only thing they all have in common.

THE RAID & SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS - zero finish over bare metal and de-bossed titles (both lovely, IMO)
LAWLESS - matte with shiny metallic paint highlights on the guns and de-bossed bullet holes (dull as dishwater and a less attractive item than, say, "The Gunman" though saved from being poor by the bullet holes, again IMO).

If I were to hazard a guess based on those previous MP steels I'd say that this will have:-
- De-bossed title
- *Zero varnish finish
. . . but that guess is of course as good or as bad as anybody else's and my only hope is that the colours "pop" instead of looking washed out and I wouldn't say no to a full gloss finish though consider that unlikely.
* According to Scanavo this is "a neutral, low gloss finish that maintains high colour intensity and brightness with a high resistance to scratching".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Foreign language BDs from Momentum Pictures really thin on the ground and just had a quick look at the foreign language section on my shelves I can see very few:-
France - AMELIE, DISTRICT 13 and MESRINE: PARTS 1&2
Germany - DOWNFALL
Sweden - THE GIRL TRILOGY
Norway - HEADHUNTERS and TROLL HUNTER
China - THE PROMISE
Indonesia - THE RAID

I do like the look of this front art as it's very different to the standard pic of Audrey Tautou that we normally see on the front :thumbs:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also wondering about the finish and trying to second guess it from previous Momentum Pictures steelbooks is difficult as I can only spot three examples of Momentum steels on my shelves - THE RAID, SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS and LAWLESS and de-bossing is the only thing they all have in common.

THE RAID & SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS - zero finish over bare metal and de-bossed titles (both lovely, IMO)
LAWLESS - matte with shiny metallic paint highlights on the guns and de-bossed bullet holes (dull as dishwater and a less attractive item than, say, "The Gunman" though saved from being poor by the bullet holes, again IMO).

If I were to hazard a guess based on those previous MP steels I'd say that this will have:-
- De-bossed title
- *Zero varnish finish
. . . but that guess is of course as good or as bad as anybody else's and my only hope is that the colours "pop" instead of looking washed out and I wouldn't say no to a full gloss finish though consider that unlikely.
* According to Scanavo this is "a neutral, low gloss finish that maintains high colour intensity and brightness with a high resistance to scratching".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Foreign language BDs from Momentum Pictures really thin on the ground and just had a quick look at the foreign language section on my shelves I can see very few:-
France - AMELIE, DISTRICT 13 and MESRINE: PARTS 1&2
Germany - DOWNFALL
Sweden - THE GIRL TRILOGY
Norway - HEADHUNTERS and TROLL HUNTER
China - THE PROMISE
Indonesia - THE RAID

The Steelbooks of "Amelie", "The Mist" and "Bronson" are all being released by eOne (Entertainment One), which acquired Momentum in 2013.

A couple of pages back, @Noodles posted an image of the rear of the J-card for this title, which clearly shows it to be an eOne release.

As an EONE (E1 ?) steel it's sure good to see such colourful inside art compared to some they gave us last year with black-and-white insides (including LOCK OUT, HUGO, GANGS OF N.Y., THE DEPARTED, A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, DREDD et al) :thumbs:

Still hoping for a Zero Varnish Finish as opposed to a matte finish but guessing no 'bossing at all

Last edited:
As an EONE (E1 ?) steel it's sure good to see such colourful inside art compared to some they gave us last year with black-and-white insides (including LOCK OUT, HUGO, GANGS OF N.Y., THE DEPARTED, A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, DREDD et al) :thumbs:

Still hoping for a Zero Varnish Finish as opposed to a matte finish but guessing no 'bossing at all

Those are EIV

Enders games and riddick were Eone - very nice steels

So was divergent and nightcrawler except nightcrawler had spot gloss but all have had debossed titles
Might be more but I can't think of any at the moment and my brain is scrambled today

Personally this needs full bright gloss and possibly a debossed title judging by previous releases (which would be nice)

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: virkia
Those are EIV

Enders games and riddick were Eone - very nice steels

So was divergent and nightcrawler except nightcrawler had spot gloss but all have had debossed titles
Might be more but I can't think of any at the moment and my brain is scrambled today

Personally this needs full bright gloss and possibly a debossed title judging by previous releases (which would be nice)

Yes, quite so, and thank you for setting me on the right path - bit of an alphabet soup with Entertainment One and Entertainment in Video . . .

Anyway, just checked the shelves for EONE steels and came across the following (in order of release as that's just how I have them arranged) :-
THE TWILIGHT SAGA, LOOPER, THE SWEENEY, RED 2, RIDDICK, ENDER'S GAME, DIVERGENT, THE RAID 2, NIGHTCRAWLER, MONSTERS 2: DARK CONTINENT - certainly a few more than the Momentum steels released but a very small number when compared to some of the other studios/distributors.

What do they have in common to maybe give us an idea how AMELIE will turn out ?
FINISH: All are matte with highlights (spot gloss/shiny metallic paint) or in a zero varnish finish - not one in a full gloss finish that I can see.
'BOSSING: No 'bossing on *any of them apart from on the TITLES and that's on seven out of the ten - one embossed (THE SWEENEY) and six de-bossed (RED 2, RIDDICK, ENDER'S GAME, DIVERGENT, THE RAID 2 and NIGHTCRAWLER) with the remaining three flat.
*The Rolls-Royce of the bunch - ENDER'S GAME - does have 'bossing on the back artwork as well.

As for AMELIE, my guess is a Zero Varnish Finish with no 'bossing to the title or anywhere else.

Last edited:
Yes, quite so, and thank you for setting me on the right path - bit of an alphabet soup with Entertainment One and Entertainment in Video . . .

Anyway, just checked the shelves for EONE steels and came across the following (in order of release as that's just how I have them arranged) :-
THE TWILIGHT SAGA, LOOPER, THE SWEENEY, RED 2, RIDDICK, ENDER'S GAME, DIVERGENT, THE RAID 2, NIGHTCRAWLER, MONSTERS 2: DARK CONTINENT - certainly a few more than the Momentum steels released but a very small number when compared to some of the other studios/distributors.

FINISH: All are matte with highlights (spot gloss/shiny metallic paint) or in a zero varnish finish - not one in a full gloss finish that I can see.
'BOSSING: No 'bossing on any of them apart from on the TITLES and that only on seven out of the ten - one embossed (THE SWEENEY) and six de-bossed (RED 2, RIDDICK, ENDER'S GAME, DIVERGENT, THE RAID 2 and NIGHTCRAWLER) with the remaining three flat as pancakes.

As for AMELIE, my guess is a Zero Varnish Finish with no 'bossing to the title or anywhere else.
Enders Game, Riddick and Divergent are all full gloss.:thumbs:

• Informative
Reactions: virkia and Flloydo

'BOSSING: No 'bossing on any of them apart from on the TITLES and that only on seven out of the ten - one embossed (THE SWEENEY) and six de-bossed (RED 2, RIDDICK, ENDER'S GAME, DIVERGENT, THE RAID 2 and NIGHTCRAWLER) with the remaining three flat as pancakes.

I hope it's not zero varnish personally. I don't want it to look dull

Enders Game, Riddick and Divergent are all full gloss.:thumbs:
I stand corrected.
Didn't spot that when I bought them and will need to adjust my buying notes which list "Ender's Game" as zero finish with spot gloss highlights; "Divergent" zero finish with a lot of bare metal and "Riddick" with a "?" but certainly the brightest of the three.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just noticed from the stickers on the fronts that all three were single retailer exclusives with two HMV and the other Entertainment Store and the price stickers on the HMVs show OK prices for non-catalogue titles.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding steelbook Finish and Artwork I've just dropped an email to Scanavo to consider setting up an historic list of all their steels available at any time from U.K. retailers with details of the finish and name of the artist responsible for each (if not just a stock image used).

Last edited: